• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

VOLTMETER - The Importance Of Having An On-Board Voltmeter

Turning the key to ON puts a load on the battery and a drop of 0.1V is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Depends on your battery type? Do you have a GEL or AGM battery? Or is it just a flooded lead acid battery. 12.6V to 12.65V open circuit (no load) is normal for a flooded lead acid battery.

Flooded lead acid type. So the 12.4 turning the key on, and 12.5 with key off suggests the battery is up to snuff for the trip this summer, IYO?

thanks

Flooded lead acid type. So the 12.4 turning the key on, and 12.5 with key off suggests the battery is up to snuff for the trip this summer, IYO?

That is not a real test. I was just explaining why you get a voltage drop when turning the key ON and obviously there must be some kind of load which is normal.

A real battery test is a load test and capacity test. You can do a load test. Head over to Harbor Freight and buy a load tester. I have both the fixed 100A and the variable 500A carbon pile load testers. For a real capacity test, the equipment is too costly and very time consuming. We had a Megger Programma Torkel 860 in the lab...$$$ not meant for home use.

Look if it starts likety-split like when it was new, why worry.

That is not a real test. I was just explaining why you get a voltage drop when turning the key ON and obviously there must be some kind of load which is normal.

A real battery test is a load test and capacity test. You can do a load test. Head over to Harbor Freight and buy a load tester. I have both the fixed 100A and the variable 500A carbon pile load testers. For a real capacity test, the equipment is too costly and very time consuming. We had a Megger Programma Torkel 860 in the lab...$$$ not meant for home use.

Look if it starts likety-split like when it was new, why worry.

thanks

On my RT, don’t know how to rotate and make the pic smaller

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 187
Picture is fine. They just render properly if the picture was taken in portrait mode (horizontal) if taken with an iPhone.
OM

Back