• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200RT caliper, rotor, brake question

The Blue Max
My 07RT calipers are embossed with BMW. Anyone know if they are manufactured by Brembo? Also, what is meant by the term loose bobbins when replacing the rotors? Wish to replace the old, warped rotors with EBC but need the above questions answered before ordering. Thanks, Gary.

I can't say with absolute certainty that the 07 RT uses brake calipers are Brembo supplied, but I think they are. BMW used Brembo on all the R1200 boxers and switched to Hayes for the 2019 R1250s. A decision they came to regret when they had to recall all the bikes to change back to Brembo. If you are wanting to know so you can order a rebuild kit, then you should know BMW shows a rebuild parts on their parts fiche. Go to the 05-09 RT section and then to Diagram 34, FRONT BRAKE RIVET PACKAGE. It shows caliper rebuild parts, item 10. (https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51560&rnd=09082020) It also shows brake rotors with rivets that hold the rotor. I believe the rivets are what you are referring to as bobbins. Hope this helps.

The 2005-2009 does not have floating discs mounted on bobbins. The discs attach directly to the wheel.

The 2005-2009 does not have floating discs mounted on bobbins. The discs attach directly to the wheel.

The original front discs on my '06 RT definitely float, with bobbins and spring washers on the mounts. When it was newer there were lots of forum discussions about pulsing brakes, unevenly machined mounting points on the wheels, sticky bobbins, etc. I know that BMW changed to a different mounting method at some point, but it has never been clear to me when, nor exactly what parts are needed to convert to the newer type. Do I need new mounting hardware, new discs and new mounting hardware and new discs, new wheels??? I see that the rollers, spring washers and thrust washers that I have, and that are shown in the repair DVD, are no longer in the parts fiche.

I've grown accustomed to some slight pulsing. The testing with a dial indicator says the discs are flat, and cleaning to remove "pad residue" has no effect. Removing the screws and washers for a good cleaning almost eliminates the pulsing.

EDIT:

Looking at the DVD again I see mention of a change effective with November 2007 production dates, for "Modified front brake-disc fasteners (rivet package)".

The repair procedures for the post-11/07 bikes have this warning:
Mixed installation of brake discs/brake calipers with different construction-status versions
Component damage
The brake calipers were modified when the riveted brake discs were introduced into series production; mixed installation is not permissible.
Do not retrofit brake discs. There are special brake discs for retrofitting listed in the ETK/EPC.

Which makes me think that when I need new discs, I'll need new mounting hardware AND special new discs (different from the post-11/07 bikes), which I do not see in the parts fiche.

Sorry, 31310. I realize this does not help you, but at least you know you are not the only one that finds the situation about as clear as mud.

I can't say with absolute certainty that the 07 RT uses brake calipers are Brembo supplied, but I think they are.

The rebuild kit that is supplied via MAX BMW does have a picture with a packet of (most likely) grease that has "Brembo" written on it, so I think that's a safe bet AKBeemer.

And it looks like Euro Motoelectric states that the same part number is OEM made by Brembo.

34112338257_1_B.jpg

Also - it looks like the discs (BMW part number: 34 11 7 711 428, Brembo: 68B407N2) are used by several different models which are all floating discs with replaceable bobbins...

Thanks to everyone who posted, glad I'm not the only one who might be confused over brake rotors. Pulled the rotors off and they mount directly to the wheel and the dealer parts fiche confirms this from what I see. My RT was built in approximately March 2007 which helps in ordering new rotors.

New EBC rotors arrived and while they do bolt to the wheel, bobbins to securely bolt the rotor, are not supplied. Although they are advertised to fit perfectly by the Canadian aftermarket supplier, no mention is made about mounting hardware. Alas EBC does not supply these either. Live and learn...
The discs being replaced are from Bike Master and their bobbins don't match up. Before returning them to the supplier, I recall forum posts re EBC and wonder if anyone knows who might supply these bobbins. Already tried EuroMotoelectric but they only offer Brembo hardware.

I might be confusing the issue but you might want to look at the Brembo parts here: Carpemoto.it

The Application and Installation documents might explain the different mounting systems and (I think) show the correct bushings.

I've purchased rear pads and rotor from them and found that they matched the original Brembo parts, the prices were good, and shipping only took 2 days.

I replaced the front and rear rotors on my 07 RT with EBC rotors. Mfg date on the bike was 11/07 and it had the original round-headed screws as opposed to the newer "rivet" style which have a flat faced screw. On the older style, you must used the original hardware with the new rotors (MD803 front & MD671 rear).

The rear is a simple swap but the front was pretty much an all-day job. The problems encountered were:
1) The EBC rotors were .010" thicker than the OEM (which took up all the play provided by the wave washers when tightened).
2) The mounting bosses on both side of the wheel varied by up to .004" from one to the next.

To get the rotors to run true and still have .010" float, each boss had to be individually shimmed on assy. The end result was far better than OEM. The new rotors ran perfect for another 90k miles, never had to touch them again.

With dial indicator and shim stock (.001, .002, .005) there's nothing really hard about it, just time consuming. Be careful on assy that no locktite pushes up into the mounting hardware.

Back