• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel pump replacement

alke46

OK. I have the pump replaced, but am doubting myself here. The two fuel lines that stayed inside the tank and connect to the overflow and canister lines, I believe I got them marked properly when removing but just in case I didn't, what would happen when I get ready to start the bike?

"just in case I didn't, what would happen when I get ready to start the bike?"

Nothing bad immediately. One of the lines connects to the drain hole at the gas filler and it should end up down by the right side footpeg plate. The other is connected to the gas tank vent and if you still have the charcoal cannister goes there and then from the cannister to the throttle bodies. If you crossed them, you'll have the tank vent going directly to atmosphere at the bottom of the footpeg plate - no big deal, that's what you have anyway when you remove the charcoal cannister. And, you would have the filler vent hole connected to the charcoal, which would let gas spill or rain water go to the cannister - that would eventually ruin the cannister, which most of us would have you remove anyway.

Easy enough to check. Follow the vent hose on the right side of the tank going down to the footpag plate. Open the tank filler cap and blow some air into the hose and if it comes out of the filler cap hole you have it right. BLOW AIR GENTLY, not a compressed 100psi air line, or you risk blowing off a hose inside the tank.

Edit: If you find that you cross connected them, you could correct that on the right side of the gas tank where both of those vent hoses come out of the plate. There are connectors for both of the hoses at the same spot near the right throttle body. You could easily cross them back over there.

Last edited:
Easy to check. Open the fuel cap, put a finger on the water/overflow drain drain hole that’s visible with the cap open. Blow into the lines or fittings and see which one goes to the overflow hole—that is where the line to atmosphere goes, the other line leads to the charcoal cannister.

Best,
DeVern

Thank you for the quick response. I "was" going to remove the charcoal canister but thought I would be better off just trying to get this thing running. Figured I could remove the canister later when the riding season is over.

Thanks for the tip about blowing some air into the overflow hose. That will help for certain to check my work. Thanks again.

It lives

Got everything done and after making sure all the hoses were properly attached, turn the key on, listened to the pump doing it's priming, touched the start button and it came to life.

Probably the first time in 6 years. Made me feel really good about the decision to buy the bike.

Now that I have it running, it's time to work on getting it to stop.

Probably looking at a complete brake overhaul.

Back