• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MY 1991 k75 RT sputtered and died .

xcaret

Today at High River Alberta I fueled my 1991 K75 RT up with premium gas ,and about a mile down the road , the bike sputtered once and quit .
It wouldn’t start ,even with the choke on full . About 15 minutes later l tried again ,and it started . I held it at about 23000 RPM’s for half a minute ,and idled it back down, and moved the choke to the warm run position. .
Then I header back to Calgary ,with high hopes . I got about 3 miles ,heading for Calgary when it started dying again. I choked it ,but it didn’t mater. I had already called my daughter who was on her way to get me ..

My only clue is that it sounds like fuel. I changed the fuel filter with the BMW prescribed filter last fall, and rode 500 km’s after that
, plus another 200 earlier this spring.. I noticed the fuel was coming out of the gas pump into the tank quite forceful, and wondered if it could have had anything to do with it . I opened the gas cap incase it was a vacuum thing preventing the flow of fuel, but that didn’t help ..
Any ideas will be appereciated !

Any chance the gas tank venting isn’t working? This would include the appropriate hoses for smog/PCV etc.
maybe crack the gas cap and go for a ride?
Good luck.
OM

Yes Omega man.. I am sure the gas vent is not working . I got the bike home ,and noticed the hose coming from the inside top of the tank ( vent ) to underneath what appears to be the fuel pump .. On moving my hand around inside the tank ,I noticed this hose easily moved out from the fuel pump a little bit .. I pulled it all the way out ,then pushed it back in all the way, but have no idea where the end is supposed to be ..
If this could be the problem ,I hopeb I dont have to remove the pump,or whatever the hose goes under ..
Neal

After removing the fuel pump to see what the unhooked breather hose was supposed to go onto I notice the nipple on the fuel strainer below the fuel pump had nothing on it .. I hooked it up and hope that hose being disconnected is the reason my bike sputtered and died soon after fueling up.. This hose was hard to push back on, it seems to me that as I mentioned ,the gas station had an extreme force as the fuel came out of the nozzel. I think it may have dislodged the breather hose, already half way off the nipple and half a block after refueling caused the bike to die..
I have it back now, and going to put everything back together now .
Can someone tell me in detail just what the purpose of the breather hose is ( besides breathing) and how it affects the engine ?
My 3 manuals show it ,and mention it, but no mention anywhere what it does and does not do if unattached to the fuel strainer ..
Thanks Neil

InkedIMGP1470_LI.jpg

Back