• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Knipex and Vampliers Tool Recommendations

Zwniana

Hello,

I have been reading a lot about the Knipex pliers and the Vampliers. Given the higher price point are they a must have in the toolbox? I am generally handy and fix most things in the house, mowers, snowblower, motorcycle and bicycles, etc.

Also would you recommend the 7” or 10” pliers I can really only buy one at this point.

Thank you

Of the two, I would choose a Knipex Pliers Wrench first. I have many different pliers and wrenches of different styles and this 7 1/4" Knipex has been my favorite for the last couple years. It is about the same size as an 8" adjustable wrench, but it will grab a larger nut and it will never slip or mar the nut. The harder you pull (not squeeze), the harder it grabs. Held semi-loosely, it acts much like a ratchet wrench, slipping back for a new grab and tightening as you pull. I originally bought mine for my bike's toolkit, but my RT really does not have many fasteners where it can be used. It is used almost anytime I'm working in the garage or around the house. I'm considering adding the 10" or 12" version only for some extra leverage and larger capacity, but I think the 7 1/4" version will still get much more use. If you need a toothed plier, a Knipex Cobra model would work very well.
knipex.jpg

The Vampliers look like a quality tool and I can definitely remember times when having the plier teeth aligned with the tool would have been useful, but those times are rare. I have other pliers that perform well for all other situations.

Of the two, I would choose a Knipex Pliers Wrench first. I have many different pliers and wrenches of different styles and this 7 1/4" Knipex has been my favorite for the last couple years. It is about the same size as an 8" adjustable wrench, but it will grab a larger nut and it will never slip or mar the nut. The harder you pull (not squeeze), the harder it grabs. Held semi-loosely, it acts much like a ratchet wrench, slipping back for a new grab and tightening as you pull. I originally bought mine for my bike's toolkit, but my RT really does not have many fasteners where it can be used. It is used almost anytime I'm working in the garage or around the house. I'm considering adding the 10" or 12" version only for some extra leverage and larger capacity, but I think the 7 1/4" version will still get much more use. If you need a toothed plier, a Knipex Cobra model would work very well.
View attachment 86382

The Vampliers look like a quality tool and I can definitely remember times when having the plier teeth aligned with the tool would have been useful, but those times are rare. I have other pliers that perform well for all other situations.

Agree wholeheartedly

I own the Knipex, which I use for applications completely unrelated to my motorcycles.

I like them a lot. They are well built.

The fact that they are parallel pliers with smooth jaws, make them useful for many diverse applications.

I want a pair of Knipex angled flush cut snippers. I have pretty much no need of the style pliers below for any work on a bike. They call them ladder locks around here ad I have multiple sizes of them for hack jobs. Occasionally they are the gear.

I have 3 Kniplex pliers, 7", 10", and 12". I got them as a Xmas present from my wife. Yes, they are expensive. But the quality and use are great. If you're a hard core shade tree mechanic these would be a great addition to your tool box.

Duane

Back