• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bikes - where are they ?

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
Does anyone have any info on if and when new bikes wil arrive in North America. My dealer closed in the fall because they could not get any bikes from BMW and I was just in a big dealer in the US that onlt had three 2021 on the floor. Two 1800,s and one 1600. Dealers have become used bike dealers. ?

Bikes

Thanks - where I live there we no bikes, my dealer got 5 and finally closed shop. If there was a big demand it didn't matter.

In talking with my local dealers, they mentioned production is about half of what it was prior to COVID, and 2022 production is forecasted to be similar to 2021.

Too bad the dealers don’t join the MOA and use the Member Opportunity section to list available bikes, specials and related.
OM

Having been looking for a second motor, last week I visited a super dealer where 5 brands of motors are beside each other, each in their own building.

Honda's showroom presented 7-8 off road small dirt bike types, no Goldwings etc.

BMW's showroom showed 3 R18's; a 310GS; and R9T scrambler and a bagger model. Outside it's showroom was a used 2019 R1250rt [ that they wanted 25K for when there's a 2021 new in Tuscons BMW dealer for 22K ], two new 1250 GS's and 2 new GS's.

Triumph showroom floor was filled with most of their models, but not used Triumphs for sale

Ducati's showroom seemed quite full of their line of motors.

Aprilla showroom showed 1/2 full of new bikes and a few used on the lot.

Spent two hours there last Sat., being one of the biggest complexes covering some major branding motors, I expected to find more bikes on the showroom floors for sale. Prices are up, inventory down across the board for the most part.

Triumph showroom floor was filled with most of their models, but not used Triumphs for sale

The owner at Engles mentioned delivery of Triumph was more of a problem compared to BMW.
Triumphs come into the US on the west coast and you have the added problem of the ships getting unloaded.

There are 1300 2022 Model Year bikes from BMW on Cycle Trader - https://www.cycletrader.com/2022-Any-BMW/motorcycles-for-sale?make=BMW|2315626&year=2022:*

Here's the model breakdown:

download

dealers screw up on the model sometimes but they're out there you just may have to fly and ride, some may already be sold and you won't get any discounts.

Here's how many R1250s there are by Trim:
download

There are 1300 2022 Model Year bikes from BMW on Cycle Trader - https://www.cycletrader.com/2022-Any-BMW/motorcycles-for-sale?make=BMW|2315626&year=2022:*

download

dealers screw up on the model sometimes but they're out there you just may have to fly and ride, some may already be sold and you won't get any discounts.

download

That is somewhere between 8 and 9 bikes - on average - per US dealership. Hardly a full floor of inventory for many dealers.

As for "fly and ride" I have three objections: 1) I shouldn't need to. Will they deduct the cost of my air fare from the price? I didn't think so. 2) Having your trusted local dealership arrange a swap is preferable. 3) Flying anywhere on a US domestic flight is cruel and unusual punishment to be avoided. Needing to fly to a funeral would be about my only exception. For those of you who have to get on airliners, you have my profound sympathy.

That is somewhere between 8 and 9 bikes - on average - per US dealership. Hardly a full floor of inventory for many dealers.

As for "fly and ride" I have three objections: 1) I shouldn't need to. Will they deduct the cost of my air fare from the price? I didn't think so. 2) Having your trusted local dealership arrange a swap is preferable. 3) Flying anywhere on a US domestic flight is cruel and unusual punishment to be avoided. Needing to fly to a funeral would be about my only exception. For those of you who have to get on airliners, you have my profound sympathy.

2022 model year started in September. 1300 is quite a few. We’re only in Q1 of the new model year. There are more 2021s. I counted 2700 “new” motorcycles on Cycle trader 2020 and newer. I’ve been on about 30 flights this year and it just sounds like you and I have a different opinion on ‘punishment’ because I love flying. I just ordered a new laptop. Aside from the fact the laptop costs 10% more this year due to inflation, shipping time was 2 months. I ordered it November 1st and shipping estimate is “by 12/31” So inflation + lead times and lack of availability is just how the world is right now. Ther’es nothing we can do about it so i personally don’t see a reason to complain. Canon’s new flagship camera that came out 6 months ago has a 6-12 month lead time on deliveries. We’re in strange times and I just don’t see what I gain by complaining about it. If a consumer isn’t willing to pay sticker and deal with slim availability, they’re going to not going to buy anything in demand for a long time. If what you need has electronics in it and comes from overseas, you’re going to pay more and wait longer. It’s not just motorcycles so there’s no point in us blaming BMW for it.

The automotive world said that supply will meet demand some time in 2023.

download

download

156 dealers nationwide. 334 r1250's would suggest an average of 2.4 motors per dealer. Can't fill your showrooms with 2 of the R series on average per dealer.

156 dealers nationwide. 334 r1250's would suggest an average of 2.4 motors per dealer. Can't fill your showrooms with 2 of the R series on average per dealer.

There’s undoubtedly a shortage. Go to any ford or Chevy lot lately?

But to say there are zero bikes out there is incorrect. Anyone with a trailer or a pickup can get exactly what bike they want with a weekend trip. They just won’t get a great deal on it. If I needed a bike, I’d buy one right now just 5-10 states away which is fine by me.

The same cannot be said for cars. Every single model I like isn’t available. Going to Cars.com and seeing how many Audi A4 Allroads there are in USA? There’s one. Just one new AllRoad in all of USA. So I think my defense of BMW here is at least you can buy a new GS with a 5 hour drive. The same cannot be said for BMW, Audi, VW’s more in demand models. VW’s new GTI/R that are coming out in 2 weeks. The first 9 months of those are pre-sold so if you didn’t put down a deposit in July, you can’t buy a GTI until this time next year. Things could be worse. i think that’s all I’m trying to say here.

EDIT: and I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that the original post here appears to be in Canada so it’s possible their situation is indeed worse as in zero bikes anywhere they could legally buy one.

There’s undoubtedly a shortage. Go to any ford or Chevy lot lately?

But to say there are zero bikes out there is incorrect. Anyone with a trailer or a pickup can get exactly what bike they want with a weekend trip. They just won’t get a great deal on it. If I needed a bike, I’d buy one right now just 5-10 states away which is fine by me.

The same cannot be said for cars. Every single model I like isn’t available. Going to Cars.com and seeing how many Audi A4 Allroads there are in USA? There’s one. Just one new AllRoad in all of USA. So I think my defense of BMW here is at least you can buy a new GS with a 5 hour drive. The same cannot be said for BMW, Audi, VW’s more in demand models. VW’s new GTI/R that are coming out in 2 weeks. The first 9 months of those are pre-sold so if you didn’t put down a deposit in July, you can’t buy a GTI until this time next year. Things could be worse. i think that’s all I’m trying to say here.

EDIT: and I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that the original post here appears to be in Canada so it’s possible their situation is indeed worse as in zero bikes anywhere they could legally buy one.

If I want to buy a new bmw motor of any flavor [ 2022 ] and I have 3 bmw dealers within 40 miles of me, I'm not predisposed to drive 5 hours to pick one up with a trailer. 3 dealers that close and I've got to fly or drive for hours with a trailer to find one? I consider that close to insane. It's an option, but I want eyes on the bike I'm buying, and be able to take possession of it that day when I pull the trigger and come up with the cash.

And I agree with you, it could be worse. Instead of 2.4 bikes per dealer for all R series they could have 1 or none. :thumb

If I want to buy a new bmw motor of any flavor [ 2022 ] and I have 3 bmw dealers within 40 miles of me, I'm not predisposed to drive 5 hours to pick one up with a trailer. 3 dealers that close and I've got to fly or drive for hours with a trailer to find one? I consider that close to insane. It's an option, but I want eyes on the bike I'm buying, and be able to take possession of it that day when I pull the trigger and come up with the cash.

And I agree with you, it could be worse. Instead of 2.4 bikes per dealer for all R series they could have 1 or none. :thumb

I think I forget sometimes that I live out in the boonies. My nearest motorcycle dealer is 100 miles away and my nearest car dealer is about as far. We don’t have an Audi dealership in our area at all. We just got a Subaru dealer after not having one very close either (about 2 hours away) so I’ve just gotten used to driving far away for pretty much anything. LOL

I think I forget sometimes that I live out in the boonies. My nearest motorcycle dealer is 100 miles away and my nearest car dealer is about as far. We don’t have an Audi dealership in our area at all. We just got a Subaru dealer after not having one very close either (about 2 hours away) so I’ve just gotten used to driving far away for pretty much anything. LOL

Welcome to my world. Nearest BMW motorcycle dealership a bit over 400 miles. Nearest trustworthy BMW dealership 826 miles. Dealership I use 1,000 miles. Nearest car dealership 125 miles (Ford or Chevy) Nearest other dealership 400 miles. To see the boonies look up "Glaves Adobe" on Google Maps. :)

Nearest gas pump 25 miles. Nearest grocery store 53 miles. :)

It takes too long to swim to Hawaii. :D

I used to fly really regularly before Covid. It wasn't bad. I got a TSA PreCheck, so I didn't have to deal with taking my shoes off and all that crap. I was flying to LA from here in SF weekly and it wasn't horrible. It was a lot easier than driving down there for a full day of calls. I'd get up at 4, get the 6am flight out of Oakland on Southwest and I'd be in downtown LA by 8am, ready to meet the local reps and start seeing clients. I'd usually schedule a 4pm flight home and I'd be back at my house by 6:30.

I used to go to NYC every year in Feb for a giant legal technology conference and I'd usually fly on Sunday, be ready for Monday and then, on Thursday, when the show was over, I'd fly home. Recently, I started just staying in NYC over Thursday night and I'd spend Friday flying home. Watch a couple movies on my iPad. Maybe look out the window for a while, read and listen to music.

I don't mind flying. Compared to 4 or 5 days schlepping across the country to go to NYC, I'd wake up on the west coast and go to sleep on the east coast. I get that it's not for everyone. It's like a long day of riding. You kinda get your head around it and it's not so bad.

I ordered an RT October 4. Produced week of Nov. 8. Have not had a shipping notification yet. When I ordered it the dealer told me to figure on 12 weeks minimum.
This was a sold bike not just an allocation

I ordered an RT October 4. Produced week of Nov. 8. Have not had a shipping notification yet. When I ordered it the dealer told me to figure on 12 weeks minimum.
This was a sold bike not just an allocation

Engle Motors was honest with me and said it would be difficult to give us a accurate delivery date.
Our bikes were made the last week of August and arrived at the dealer seven weeks later.

After our bikes were made they gave me the VIN and container number.
The dealer said they were not able to get accurate tracking info from BMW but mentioned some members of the MOA had good luck with tracking info.
With the info I found on this forum I was able to track the bikes from the factory to Kansas City.

Back