• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas tank question

llewellync

I have a '79 R65. I never really liked the shape of the tank so I want to change it, preferably something with a higher capacity. What tank will fit from other models without any major modifications? Here's a picture of my bike.

facebook_1612935208100.jpg

Attachments

• facebook_1612935190795.jpg
    facebook_1612935190795.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 96
I can't seem to find much in RealOEM that suggests it would fit. R65 was always a bit of an odd duck and didn't necessarily share parts with its other cousins. What capacity does your tank have now? Specs suggests that is around 5.8 gallons. That seems like a good amount. My /7 is only 6.3 gallons and it does OK for me on range.

The R65 tanks (5.8 gal) are unique to that model, as is the tank used on the R80ST, R80G/S, and R65GS (5.1 gal) from that vintage. Some ST owners here in the west installed R65 tanks in search of a bit more range, or opted for tanks from the P-D kit (8+ gal) or the R100GS tanks (6.3 gal). However, those tank swaps usually involved reworking or swapping seats or just living with a poor fit between seat and tank.

Since the R65 is such a unique bike I suspect you’ll run into the same seat/tank issues. You may be better off to start searching parter sites or BMW buy/sell forums for a good set of the Luftmeister saddle tanks that mounted in place of the side covers. 2 tanks, about 1gal each, gave a nice range boost. If you find a set, Snowbum’s website has information on correctly plumbing in the tanks.

Another option is a simple fuel cell like the ones from RCI, JAZ, etc. or a RotoPax container mounted on the luggage rack.

Best,
DeVern

Back