• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Unigo. Wiring

jerryleejr

Hopefully this will be the last of this for awhile, and yes Ive Read thru a lot of threads already. I’m not gonna be able to get to this until Monday so hopefully the brain trust can help me out. I got the B all wired up with an isolator. The first pic is the bike side connector with wiring supplied by unigo so how I ended up with an orange wire baffles me. The 2nd pictures is the trailer side connector notice a white wire is missing 3rd from right. And last pic is the wiring diagram unigo sent. And neither connector matches the diagram. I have a multimeter and tester and determined to figure this out.

Attachments

• AC720C6C-31D9-47B4-9AD8-40E32162D318.jpg
    AC720C6C-31D9-47B4-9AD8-40E32162D318.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 68
  • D3E0AE53-AA51-4632-96D3-16BB9B5DD430.jpg
    D3E0AE53-AA51-4632-96D3-16BB9B5DD430.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 06918F6F-238F-4776-8D23-5FA67E3CCD34.jpg
    06918F6F-238F-4776-8D23-5FA67E3CCD34.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 68
  • A5EAC141-48B0-4BD1-9CC8-7A3F4C76A163.png
    A5EAC141-48B0-4BD1-9CC8-7A3F4C76A163.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
Wow! You should have asked before!

I wired up my Unigo a couple years ago to hook up to my 2018 R1200RT. I put LED bulbs in the Unigo and wired it direct. It works just fine. I considered an isolator but figured is the Canbus didn't like the extra load it would let me know.

It is frustrating, especially when the wires from the tail and turn light change colors at the junction block under the light assembly, then again at the trailer connect at the motorcycle.

When I did was pretty much ignore everything and start over and match up the wiring colors with the color of wires at the bulb sockets.

Red-left turn,
Lt blue-right turn
green-common
and so on. I can't make out all the colors in your picture, but you get the idea.

redo your colors all the way through, match them up the best you can.

Your post does not say what problem you are having. Do any lights work correctly? None?

The wiring diagram is a design fail. If you have OCD schedule an appointment with your therapist now, before you start working on this! Green wire at relay is spliced to white, blue and brown? The black wire is the only one that does not change color between the relay and the connector. And the connector ports are totally out of sequence!
The multimeter will be the only way to sort out the actual connections.

The picture of the wiring at the trailer taillight seems to show insulation damage. It looks like the wire was pinched at that bolt, water intruded, and the wire might have corroded or broken internally where the insulation is swollen. Or it could just be dirt.
bad wire.png

Wow! You should have asked before!

I wired up my Unigo a couple years ago to hook up to my 2018 R1200RT. I put LED bulbs in the Unigo and wired it direct. It works just fine. I considered an isolator but figured is the Canbus didn't like the extra load it would let me know.

It is frustrating, especially when the wires from the tail and turn light change colors at the junction block under the light assembly, then again at the trailer connect at the motorcycle.

When I did was pretty much ignore everything and start over and match up the wiring colors with the color of wires at the bulb sockets.

Red-left turn,
Lt blue-right turn
green-common
and so on. I can't make out all the colors in your picture, but you get the idea.

redo your colors all the way through, match them up the best you can.
I try to sort things out myself but having rewired my other trailer due to a similar birds nest I really was hoping to simply this one.

Your post does not say what problem you are having. Do any lights work correctly? None?

The wiring diagram is a design fail. If you have OCD schedule an appointment with your therapist now, before you start working on this! Green wire at relay is spliced to white, blue and brown? The black wire is the only one that does not change color between the relay and the connector. And the connector ports are totally out of sequence!
The multimeter will be the only way to sort out the actual connections.

The picture of the wiring at the trailer taillight seems to show insulation damage. It looks like the wire was pinched at that bolt, water intruded, and the wire might have corroded or broken internally where the insulation is swollen. Or it could just be dirt.
View attachment 85426
Yeah I saw that but can’t investigate until Monday….

JJ

I try to sort things out myself but having rewired my other trailer due to a similar birds nest I really was hoping to simply this one.
JJ

That is my point. Has the color coding follow all the way through the trailer wiring right up to the point it gets connected the the bikes harness. It will simplify things greatly to have one color be the tail, brake or turn lights from the bulb to the bike end of the harness. I remember my head about spinning off my shoulders looking at the green common going to black, then brown on the bike. On my Unigo some wires changed color four times!

That is my point. Has the color coding follow all the way through the trailer wiring right up to the point it gets connected the the bikes harness. It will simplify things greatly to have one color be the tail, brake or turn lights from the bulb to the bike end of the harness. I remember my head about spinning off my shoulders looking at the green common going to black, then brown on the bike. On my Unigo some wires changed color four times!

I PM’d you…

Back