• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

88 K75C 122,860 mi. faulty fuel pump test

Sorry to give advice and run, but I have been away for awhile. Looks like you found the problem. I just bit the bullet and bought a new sender unit for $110. Since it is vital to engine operation, I did not want to mess with quick fixes that might leave me stranded again. The towing can cost a lot more. Besides, my K75 has only cost me about $2200 in maintenance over 21 years (tires and batteries). It deserved a new part.

Reassembly is 90% complete. The redundant ground is hooked up and checks out fine. A simple bullet connection was used as a quick release, which has been electrical taped for extra security. I've checked all of the socket wires to sending unit again and all systems are go.

The most difficult part was contorting my hands to re-hook the pump wires. After getting the wires, washers and nuts on the terminals, I remembered reading from another forum post that the pump will slip out of its damper by grabbing and depressing the two clips. This made tightening the terminal nuts much easier. Reinserting the pump had me puzzled for a few moments as the clips would not snap lock into place. After a few attempts at getting it to auto lock I realized that they needed to be pushed outward into the lock position.

Is there any trick necessary to get the empty pump primed? Or is it just add gas, set choke, and press starter button?

Thanks for all of the help. I'm feeling pretty positive about this working. No spare parts left over either!

Pete

She's alive!!!

Thanks for all the generous help and the treasure trove of past forum posts. This repair so far has been a success, slow, but without setbacks. It would not have been possible for me to do without this forum and generous contributors.

THANKS!
Pete

:thumb:thumb:thumb GOOD JOB!

I always disconnect/connect the wires to the pump outside the tank (the wires are plenty long) and then reinstall the pump/damper assembly. WAY easier.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee,

K75 has been working well for my first 75 mi. round-trip commute. At some point I'll disconnect the redundant ground wire to see if the pump ground is still working.

My physics teacher would have said regarding the contortions trying to get the pump wires connected inside the tank, "Lack of brain makes muscles strain!"

pete

Back