• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS LED Conversion Questions

VIEJO

After years of abuse from my riding "buddies" regarding the low output of the stock headlight on my '03 K1200RS (which I generally ride only during daylight hours) I have decided to bite the bullet and convert to LED. The main thing I have discovered from my preliminary research is that I am pretty much overwhelmed by the options available :scratch. The biggest question so far is- do I need the "Anti-Flicker/Warning Canceller" addition on my pre-CANBUS bike? Most everything else is just a matter of deciding "how bright? - how white? - how much?".

I'm looking for a "Plug & Play" if at all possible; both low and hi beam. I've only had to change the H4 hi beam halogen lamp once since I bought the bike new eighteen years ago so I guess it's okay now to spend what it takes for the best quality available.

Any and all suggestions/comments/guidance welcomed.

Thanks,

Dave

You won’t like what I have to say, but here it is.

The K1200RS/GT bikes had one of the worst headlight buckets ever installed on a modern-day motorcycle. The bikes use H3 and H7 bulbs that are fitted, poorly, into a headlight that has no extra room for fans or other extensions commonly found on LED bulbs. On top of that, the reflector and lens combo will yield a scattered and poorly focused light even if you are careful to match the LED to the exact same position as the filament of your existing bulb. I learned much of this the hard way on the GT that I set up for long distance all-night running.

So do yourself a favor and instead of messing with the OEM light, look into some LED auxiliary lights. They are small enough to mount inside the fairing, under the nose of the bike, and will add more and better light than you’ll ever get from the OEM unit. Small LED lights are light enough to mount to the fairing if you’re willing to drill a hole or three, and I have seen RS/GT bikes with aux lights mounted from where the roundels were recessed into the fairing on each side.

Back in the day, there were a couple of manufacturers that made the under-the-nose mounts that could be used with aux lights, or a light bar that mounted under the nose and held the lights just outside the front edge of the fairing. You might check FleaBay or ADVRider and find those mounts or bars. I should dig through my storage unit, I might have that bar buried in there somewhere.

Anyway, don’t bother trying to upgrade the Disney-engineered OEM light; get some aux lights instead. You’ll be time, money, and results ahead.

Best,
DeVern

You won’t like what I have to say, but here it is.

The K1200RS/GT bikes had one of the worst headlight buckets ever installed on a modern-day motorcycle. The bikes use H3 and H7 bulbs that are fitted, poorly, into a headlight that has no extra room for fans or other extensions commonly found on LED bulbs. On top of that, the reflector and lens combo will yield a scattered and poorly focused light even if you are careful to match the LED to the exact same position as the filament of your existing bulb. I learned much of this the hard way on the GT that I set up for long distance all-night running.

So do yourself a favor and instead of messing with the OEM light, look into some LED auxiliary lights. They are small enough to mount inside the fairing, under the nose of the bike, and will add more and better light than you’ll ever get from the OEM unit. Small LED lights are light enough to mount to the fairing if you’re willing to drill a hole or three, and I have seen RS/GT bikes with aux lights mounted from where the roundels were recessed into the fairing on each side.

Back in the day, there were a couple of manufacturers that made the under-the-nose mounts that could be used with aux lights, or a light bar that mounted under the nose and held the lights just outside the front edge of the fairing. You might check FleaBay or ADVRider and find those mounts or bars. I should dig through my storage unit, I might have that bar buried in there somewhere.

Anyway, don’t bother trying to upgrade the Disney-engineered OEM light; get some aux lights instead. You’ll be time, money, and results ahead.

Best,
DeVern

Actually, that's probably one of the things I wanted/needed to hear as it confirms my feelings about the headlight bucket on the K1200 bikes and I was seriously in doubt as to whether or not all the marginalia that goes with a LED installation would be able to fit in such a cramped space.

When I first started considering adding LED auxiliary lights I was really at a loss for where to put them..... I don't want to drill into the fairing and, while using the Roundel recesses is an interesting/creative idea, I removed all the extraneous BMW advertising/decals/ from the RS when I repainted it black years ago and now I like the look of the roundels on an otherwise unadorned bike.

How I do think small auxiliary LEDs might work is by utilizing the upper mounting holes for the front brake calipers; I've seen it done, it's fairly unobtrusive, and I really want to avoid turning an otherwise nicely streamlined motorcycle into one of those rolling chandeliers that seem to be so popular these days.

Thanks for the input,

Dave

How I do think small auxiliary LEDs might work is by utilizing the upper mounting holes for the front brake calipers; I've seen it done, it's fairly unobtrusive, and I really want to avoid turning an otherwise nicely streamlined motorcycle into one of those rolling chandeliers that seem to be so popular these days.

Dave

Dave - you may want to look at Skene design's mounting brackets for small lights. I have found that they work well in several applications after a little modification of the mounting tang.

https://www.skenelights.com/mounting-brackets-photon-blaster

Here’s an example illustrating a popular aux light location on the RS/GT bikes:
https://www.amazon.com/K1200RS-Super-White-Hella-Micro/dp/B01HU9JWWU

I don’t recommend those particular lights as they are halogens instead of LED, but a look at their mount brackets should give you or your fabricator some ideas for mounting.
Best,
DeVern

Thanks, DeVern,

For some reason (cranial content calcification?) I had never considered a mount directly under the bucket... nice.

Back