• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mystery bracket

drost

Doug D
Hello,
I started to disassemble my R100RT and can not figure out what this bracket is used for, it’s marked with blue tape. I think it possibly held the fuel tank vent line. Vent line was hanging in front of the rear tire. I purchased the bike earlier this summer for a winter project. Everything else seems to be in place, just want to route wires, hoses as they should be when assembly starts. Any direction or pictures on vent line route would be appreciated.
Doug

Attachments

• EE5FBBBD-B260-44BD-A5BB-DEA9F18ECD7D.jpg
    EE5FBBBD-B260-44BD-A5BB-DEA9F18ECD7D.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 167
What year bike...looks like it's a pre 1981? It smacks of being homemade...haven't seen anything like that being mentioned. You're thinking fuel vent line...the one on my '78 routes to the right side of the bike and might be zip tied into place...haven't looked at the outlet end in a long time. Maybe yours is a battery vent tube bracket?

I haven't seen

I have never seen a bracket like that in any of the bikes I have come across. The fuel tank vent/overflow does indeed go to the right side of the bike.

One thought I have, and I don't know why someone would do it is this is a homemade bracket for the rear disc brake hose. Just to be sure, I will check my RS. St.

I have the exact same bracket on my 88 R100 RT. It took me a while, but I firmly believe it's for the battery overflow. I'm using a sealed AGM battery and it came with a sealed AGM battery, so my bike's never needed it as long as I've owned it. If you look at the parts diagram for the battery and battery tray, the bracket is part 16 and it shows a tube coming from the battery down to the bracket.

Makes sense

Okay, I admit, I am looking at apples and oranges. When I say, I have never seen this bracket, I made the assumption the bike in question was a dual shock bike. Looking further at the picture, I am now guessing it is a mono shock bike am I now correct?

If it is a mono shock bike, yes, it makes sense the bracket could well be for the battery vent tube, though why BMW would use a bracket like that for it after years of a simple tube running down the side of the battery is beyond me?

Again, it makes more sense that perhaps it is the rear brake line/hose bracket. Now that would deserve a sturdy bracket such as shown in the picture.

As for me, I will apologize for jumping the gun and giving incorrect information based on my twin shock knowledge, limited as it is. Cheers, St.

I mistakenly thought that the rear view of the clutch was the older style...but now see that it is post 1980 "clutch carrier". Strange that BMW didn't paint this thing black. :scratch

Strange that BMW didn't paint this thing black. :scratch

This is aluminum bracket. My guess is that with this holding the battery overflow tube the battery acid would eat away at the paint. An unpainted aluminum piece probably holds up better to the occasional battery acid drip, but this is pure speculation on my part.

My apologies, it is 1993 RT. It is made out of steel and factory made. My magnet sticks to it. I would like to know how the fuel tank vent line is routed after the air and fuel solenoids have been eliminated, plus what that bracket was used for. It was hidden in a lot of grease, well persevere and became more available after a first pressure wash.
Thanks for all the feedback,
Doug

It's for the battery venting, I suggest you go to the MAX BMW web site and look at the parts fiche when trying to figure something like this out, I do it all the time. (61 21 1 244 432 HOLDER) is how they show it.

Thanks for everyone’s help. Have been using sealed batteries for so long that I forgot about battery vent.

Who would have thought

Who would have thought BMW would design and make a bracket for a vent tube that for years had just been routed next to the battery and poked into a hole leading to the ground. I learn something new every day. St.

Who would have thought BMW would design and make a bracket for a vent tube that for years had just been routed next to the battery and poked into a hole leading to the ground. I learn something new every day. St.

Some corrosion at the wrong place might have motivated them.

RealOEM says that the part was used from early 1984-on. I never had such a bracket on my /7. All of the batteries I have had used a separate vent tube which was routed/zip tied to the frame with the outlet somewhere below the horizontal swingarm tube and frame cross member. Seems strange to come up with a part like this when such a simple routing and method of securing existed. Something unique about the mono shock frame arrangement?

Well

Well, some design engineer needed a job, LOL, or needed to justify his job. I have never seen this bracket on any 84 and older bikes. Seriously, corrosion in the wrong place would be a good idea to redesign the tube down the hole I have in my two bikes.

I looked at Max's online microfiche and didn't find the part. Of course, I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking. St.

ST, look at Paul's post above...it's RealOEM and shows the part and the part number. If you prefer MaxBMW, copy the part number from Paul's post (61211244432) and use it to search at Max.

I am not doubting

Kurt, I am not doubting the bracket is on the microfiche with the name of it, LOL, I was just too lazy to look for it other than a fast scan of the fiches. Didn't see it, don't need it, someone would answer the question. Lazy, lazy me. St.

Different exhaust system on those later bikes, big can ...

I forgot

Kent, you got me, I forgot about the big box in the mono shock bikes exhaust system. So, now it makes sense why a bracket was made. It the old system were used, the gases and any liquid would end up on top of the box. LOL, looks like I owe the engineer an apology. St.

Back