• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MAC Performance Deep Oil Pan

nevadaslim

I have a 1980 BMW R100T motorcycle that came with a MAC Performance deep oil pan. It seems to work fine, with no oil leaks.

It appears MAC Performance has gone out of business. I can't find their website online, and their phone number doesn't work.

So, maybe someone can help me with a few questions:

* Do you use the original BMW oil dipstick with this oil pan?
* If so, do I need to change the oil level mark on the dipstick?
* With the additional capacity of this oil pan, how much oil should I be putting in my engine when I change the oil and filter?
* Does anyone have the original installation instructions.? Manual?

Any information/assistance is greatly appricated.
Thank-you!

Never used a Mac deep oil pan. I have used a Breil oil cooler spacer which also adds approximately 1 quart to the capacity. The added spacer effectively makes the the stock oil pan a deep oil pan. I use the original dip stick and use the same mark on the stick to check the oil. Worked for me for over 30 years.

Deep pan

I have a deep pan on my R100RS, I use the stock dip stick, the top of the mark is still the top of the mark no matter what the depth of the pan, if you get what I mean. My pan takes an extra quart of oil. St.

Anton has a write up on various versions of the oil pan...Mac is on the list:

http://largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

As Steven said, the original dipstick can still be used. You have a choice to make based upon the purpose of the deeper pan. Is more oil the desire to have a bit more cooling as it might spend a little more time in the sump before being suck back into the engine? If so, fill to the top of the original dipstick. I believe it is one liter between the two marks on the dipstick, so put in the usual 2 liters and see where the oil is on the dipstick and go from there. Or would the bike benefit from having more air volume above the oil to result in less foaming/misting and oil loss? If so, put in the stock 2 liters and call it a day...the bike runs fine on 2 liters. But if you want best of both worlds, split the difference between the two approaches and add a little more oil but not enough to get to the top of the dipstick.

Anton has a write up on various versions of the oil pan...Mac is on the list:

http://largiader.com/tech/oilpan/

As Steven said, the original dipstick can still be used. You have a choice to make based upon the purpose of the deeper pan. Is more oil the desire to have a bit more cooling as it might spend a little more time in the sump before being suck back into the engine? If so, fill to the top of the original dipstick. I believe it is one liter between the two marks on the dipstick, so put in the usual 2 liters and see where the oil is on the dipstick and go from there. Or would the bike benefit from having more air volume above the oil to result in less foaming/misting and oil loss? If so, put in the stock 2 liters and call it a day...the bike runs fine on 2 liters. But if you want best of both worlds, split the difference between the two approaches and add a little more oil but not enough to get to the top of the dipstick.

If you have a deeper oil pan; and if you choose the latter - two liters - make sure your oil pickup is extended to the lower oil level.

Back