• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question on the Cardo Packtalk Bold.

PoorUB

I am about 99.99% sure I will buy the Packtalk Bold, actually a pair of them so my wife and I have rider to passenger intercom and listen to music, plus my one riding buddy is willing to buy a set too, but I was wondering, how do they take care of road noise through the intercom microphones? The system I have now has constant road noise coming through the helmet speakers. Hopefully the Packtalk has voice activated mics, or some sort of noise cancelation. I could not find any info in regards to this on the Cardo web site.

I am about 99.99% sure I will buy the Packtalk Bold, actually a pair of them so my wife and I have rider to passenger intercom and listen to music, plus my one riding buddy is willing to buy a set too, but I was wondering, how do they take care of road noise through the intercom microphones? The system I have now has constant road noise coming through the helmet speakers. Hopefully the Packtalk has voice activated mics, or some sort of noise cancelation. I could not find any info in regards to this on the Cardo web site.

The answer is that the PacTalk Bold JVB handles road noise very well. After using three iterations of Senas the switch to PTB was a giant leap for sound quality and fidelity. Annie and I ride with essentially a hot mic all the time and can communicate in a normal voice even at Montana highway speeds. The only time we've had an issue with background noise is when riding in heavy cross winds. I like to ride with my visor partially up or all the way up most of the time. Sometimes in heavy cross winds I will be forcefully instructed to lower my visor because of the noise in Annie's ears.

The answer is that the PacTalk Bold JVB handles road noise very well. After using three iterations of Senas the switch to PTB was a giant leap for sound quality and fidelity. Annie and I ride with essentially a hot mic all the time and can communicate in a normal voice even at Montana highway speeds. The only time we've had an issue with background noise is when riding in heavy cross winds. I like to ride with my visor partially up or all the way up most of the time. Sometimes in heavy cross winds I will be forcefully instructed to lower my visor because of the noise in Annie's ears.

This - the only time you hear noise in the Cardo is when you pair a Sena into the network using Universal Pairing, then you get all the Sena snaps, crackles, and Pops.

+2 regarding no wind noise issue with Cardo Packtalk Bold. I use the system with two other riding buddies and we've never had any issue with wind noise. The system works very well and I would definitely purchase it again.

Ran Autocomm with Kenwood radios for years, but the addition of more bikes to the stable meant we had to try something different. So glad we did, now it doesn't matter who rides what bike/atv, we can have clear conversations, and listen to our own music all we want. At times, I do miss the push-to-talk, when one or the other of us decides to sign along and we're on different music feeds - now that's interesting...

ear buds

I tried a couple of different helmets with speakers, but found there was too much road noise for me and my riding buddy to communicate clearly, so we started using earbuds. I didn't even install the speakers in my current helmet. Google "s plug earbuds"

Last edited:
I also use ear buds pretty much all the time. I like they block road noise and makes it easier to listen to music.

I don't remember exactly, I need to call him and order it and will verify the price The list price on the duo is ~$600, less the discount, so $450.

I know the price wasn't much different, maybe $5, but I have my "guy" I like to buy from. It probably isn't so much the price, but he treats me well on other stuff so I try to toss him a few bucks when I can. I know I pay less than his advertised prices.

I am about 99.99% sure I will buy the Packtalk Bold...

Good choice. I bought 1 off eBay, and then another pair from Amazon. There are periodic super deals on Amazon that last a few days, if you are patient. I had the same concern about the open mic using the mesh intercom, but we found that there is no road noise problem.

cap

I don't remember exactly, I need to call him and order it and will verify the price The list price on the duo is ~$600, less the discount, so $450.

I know the price wasn't much different, maybe $5, but I have my "guy" I like to buy from. It probably isn't so much the price, but he treats me well on other stuff so I try to toss him a few bucks when I can. I know I pay less than his advertised prices.

I agree with you.
Its good to support the local guys and maintain those relationships.
I'm going for the single when I pull the trigger on a new helmet.

Joe

Back