• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheels!

jedz

Greetings fellow BMW Owners of America.

I am looking at grabbing a second set of rims for my R1100R I had a few questions.

I found this great resource online: http://www.largiader.com/parts/wheels.html

Seems the K1100RT alloy rims will work on the R1100R so sayeth the resource above.

My goal for the alloys would be to run a 140/70 17 rear and a 110/70 17 front using a K1100RT rear 3 spoke and a R1100R front 3 spoke.

I'm looking at adding a set of alloys to swap out my spokes (so I can run both dual sport and street tires on my R1100R / I live in rural Vermont with both great paved and dirt roads) I would run the Dual sport tires on the spokes.

IS there a weight advantage to the alloys vs the spokes? I converted my 2018 Bonneville T120 to alloys from spokes(was 110 70 18 front and 150 7017 rear TUBED to 120 70 17 front and 160 70 17 rear TUBELESS). In the conversion I dropped over 20lbs of unsprung rotating mass from the bike, it made a HUGE difference in handling, stopping and of course accelerating plus I get over 60MPG pretty consistently now. (I also retained ABS and traction control).

I do not have ABS on my R1100R, well I do but it is very much broken and will be coming off the bike...

Any insight or answer to the Q's would be most beneficial as I learn more and more about these oil cooled bikes!

Cheers,

I don't have any help but I really want to know if anyone else has answers. I've considered swapping my 850R to spoked wheels in the future and if it drops weight compared to the stock aluminum ones that'd be a huge benefit.

Back