• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sedalia Heat PTSD

ragtoplvr

My last rally was Sedalia Mo. I am planning to go to Des Moines this summer. I guess I have Heat PTSD. Granted, the MOA did wonderful with the showers and water golf carts at considerable expense. I am sure it saved more than one hospital trip. It can be very hot in Des Moines also. And going home will be south to Joplin, about 6 hours minimum. Wish I had a crystal ball to know how hot. It was a heat adventure I do not care to repeat, not at my age now. Guess I better be making motel reservations. Heat sickness is nothing to mess with.

Rod

Comparing Bloomsburg and Des Moines is a fools errand. Bloomsburg was a tired old fairgrounds with feeble infrastructure and duplicitous new management that failed to provide what was promised. It had never hosted a bunch like us, and was absolutely a poor choice for our rally. It was at best an inadequate facility and the weather proved that point beyond argumentation.

Des Moines is a large, modern facility, with lots of air conditioned space for our needs. It is one of the premier fair grounds in the country. Days may be hot but nights will cool off. Buildings have actual air conditioning instead of idiotic old swamp coolers, as in Bloomsburg.. It will be cooler than Bloomsburg, Sedalia, or Salt Lake City and better facilities to boot. I expect a great rally

Looking forward to a new Canada rally or at least Fargo in 2020 or 2021. Scoff if you will but I want a new Canadian rally. We pulled it off when I was President in 2000 and we can pull it off again, DUI folks and gun owners not withstanding.

p.s. Other than some Canadians and me - we are a voice in the wilderness. I do indeed want another Canadian rally.

Last edited:
Buy a cooling vest, you won't regret it. Mine stays wet for 4 hours in the Az heat. Keeps my core 20 degrees cooler than ambient and I won't be without it all summer on any ride, including the trip to the arctic circle in July.

58.00, best investment for riding, or just walking around in the heat I've ever made. Cycle gear carries them. When they get drying out some, rewet it and good for another 4 hours or so. :thumb

Comparing Bloomsburg and Des Moines is a fools errand. Bloomsburg was a tired old fairgrounds with feeble infrastructure and duplicitous new management that failed to provide what was promised. It had never hosted a bunch like us, and was absolutely a poor choice for our rally. It was at best an inadequate facility and the weather proved that point beyond argumentation.

Des Moines is a large, modern facility, with lots of air conditioned space for our needs. It is one of the premier fair grounds in the country. Days may be hot but nights will cool off. Buildings have actual air conditioning instead of idiotic old swamp coolers, as in Bloomsburg.. It will be cooler than Bloomsburg, Sedalia, or Salt Lake City and better facilities to boot. I expect a great rally

Looking forward to a new Canada rally or at least Fargo in 2020 or 2021. Scoff if you will but I want a new Canadian rally. We pulled it off when I was President in 2000 and we can pull it off again, DUI folks and gun owners not withstanding.

p.s. Other than some Canadians and me - we are a voice in the wilderness. I do indeed want another Canadian rally.

I'd consider going to Canada for a rally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll go to the next Canada Rally. While this Iowa happening will be my fourteenth consecutive national... missing Trenton from a long day ride away;
I still kick myself.

"travel'n john

Buy a cooling vest, you won't regret it. Mine stays wet for 4 hours in the Az heat. Keeps my core 20 degrees cooler than ambient and I won't be without it all summer on any ride, including the trip to the arctic circle in July.

58.00, best investment for riding, or just walking around in the heat I've ever made. Cycle gear carries them. When they get drying out some, rewet it and good for another 4 hours or so. :thumb

Yes, I have one now. Coming back from Colorado 100000 ride, I hit kansas, where it had rained day before. There was flooding, and then sun came out next day, 101 degrees at Fredona. 95 % humidity, that cool vest did nothing for me. Ice in my pockets lasted less than 25 miles.

I can ride in the heat, it is a risk factor I do not relish.

Rod

Last edited:
Yes, I have one now. Coming back from Colorado 100000 ride, I hit kansas, where it had rained day before. There was flooding, and then sun came out next day, 101 degrees at Fredona. 95 % humidity, that cool vest did nothing for me. Ice in my pockets lasted less than 5 miles.

I can ride in the heat, it is a risk factor I do not relish.

Rod

Yes, as I understand it, the more humid the less effective those vests are are reducing core temps.

I think, given the probability of heat and humidity issues, getting a hotel room is just common sense. No charge if the weather is decent and you cancel within 24 hours, but it's awfully nice to be able to sleep comfortably. I do better in heat if I'm able to get a good night's sleep, and having had heat stroke twice in my younger years they say my body is less able to control my temp now.

I think, given the probability of heat and humidity issues, getting a hotel room is just common sense. No charge if the weather is decent and you cancel within 24 hours, but it's awfully nice to be able to sleep comfortably. I do better in heat if I'm able to get a good night's sleep, and having had heat stroke twice in my younger years they say my body is less able to control my temp now.

That's correct. I was hospitalized last year for heat stroke/dehydration [ even as I'd drank a gallon of water in two hours, it wasn't enough ] in the 106 degree Az. desert heat. IV's hooked up, spent a day in the hospital until they felt I could go home and not relapse.

That's the second time I've suffered heat exhaustion/heat stroke [ the first time on a 3 day SAR rescue mission in August in temps running as high as 118 ]. Docs tell me I'm to be very careful now, as I am more prone to fall out again in the heat since that second bout with it last year. First event was 06, second 2017, so 12 years apart but now it's imperative to keep the core under control and stay out of the nasty weather or suffer the same consequences faster than others might.

Here in the dry desert, the cooling vest works great.

As a general rule of thumb, cooling vests don't work well or at all East of the Mississippi. IMHO in humid climates it's a waste of energy to put that soggy quilt on yourself, as it blocks the body from cooling of naturally since that soggy mess prevents wind from reaching you. Better with a wicking under-layer, drinking plenty of fluids, and taking a break every two hours or so... YMMV

PS: I do have a cooling vest but I use that primarily in desert situations.

I do, too. Heading north in July makes more sense to me than heading south, or to areas known to be very hot.

Heading back from the Rally in Billings, I entered Iowa and the skies were getting very black. Just shy of my goal of 500 miles for the day, I took an exit with a cheap motel, a gas station, and a restaurant - all the necessities. A huge thunderstorm complex moved in, one of the most intense I've ever experienced. It was a thunderstorm on a biblical scale. Just hoping we don't have to deal with that in Des Moines. The location of this year's rally would not have been my first choice, but I have a daughter in Olathe, KS, so that will likely compel me to attend the Des Moines rally so that I can stop by and visit with her.

Regarding dehydration, I was puzzled at Salt Lake City that I had so much trouble getting the bike up on the centerstand. It turns out weakness is a symptom of dehydration. And it was not from lack of drinking water, it was more a lack of electrolytes. Living in the humid east, I would have to agree that a cooling vest is of limited value in hot, humid conditions...

I do, too. Heading north in July makes more sense to me than heading south, or to areas known to be very hot.

Heading back from the Rally in Billings, I entered Iowa and the skies were getting very black. Just shy of my goal of 500 miles for the day, I took an exit with a cheap motel, a gas station, and a restaurant - all the necessities. A huge thunderstorm complex moved in, one of the most intense I've ever experienced. It was a thunderstorm on a biblical scale. Just hoping we don't have to deal with that in Des Moines. The location of this year's rally would not have been my first choice, but I have a daughter in Olathe, KS, so that will likely compel me to attend the Des Moines rally so that I can stop by and visit with her.

Regarding dehydration, I was puzzled at Salt Lake City that I had so much trouble getting the bike up on the centerstand. It turns out weakness is a symptom of dehydration. And it was not from lack of drinking water, it was more a lack of electrolytes. Living in the humid east, I would have to agree that a cooling vest is of limited value in hot, humid conditions...
Thanks for explaining, always curious about those things,
hope to CU at Nat'l.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

A huge thunderstorm complex moved in, one of the most intense I've ever experienced. It was a thunderstorm on a biblical scale. Just hoping we don't have to deal with that in Des Moines.

The Mid West knows how to put on a good thunder storm :)

One of the tricks I learned on our rides over the years is to, when faced with an approaching nasty storm in an urban or sub-urban area, search for Car Wash on the GPS. Nobody washes their cars in a storm and those self-serve car washes make great places to take shelter from the storm. Of course there are areas like the north side of Lake Superior where the only option is to ride it out...

One of the tricks I learned on our rides over the years is to, when faced with an approaching nasty storm in an urban or sub-urban area, search for Car Wash on the GPS. Nobody washes their cars in a storm and those self-serve car washes make great places to take shelter from the storm. Of course there are areas like the north side of Lake Superior where the only option is to ride it out...

That is an excellent idea!
In rural Oklahoma there are storm shelters built from guard rails and they are sturdy enough to weather a storm in with your bike. I found a few of them during the TAT ride a number of years ago and sheltered in one of them during a nasty T-storm.
I don't know how they would do in a tornado but anything is better than being out in the open...

Yes, I love to watch a good Midwest thunderstorm, from a nice dry safe place. Better to find someplace safe too soon rather than too late. Don't be a hero.

Be safe

Rod

Hydration! Hydration!

Keeping ahead of de-hydration is extremely important when riding on a hot day, with high humidity or dry heat. The best way to keep hydrated is with a water bladder hydration pack. Just keep sipping every few minutes. The water may get warm, but it is still wet and will keep up with your losses of water due to sweating and convection from wind. Drinking electrolytes (Gatorade, sports drinks) at gas stops is important too, but don't rely solely or you will over-electrolyte. Also start the day with a bottle of water to get a head start. (especially if enjoying adult beverages the night before, as alcohol contributes to dehydration). Coffee and soft drinks do NOT contribute to hydration, but generally work against it.

Hydration The Day Before

I agree, it is important to hydrate during your ride. But true hydration (water) occurs the day/evening BEFORE the ride.
Always works

Storms: I think Hamburg is the only rally I've been to that I don't recall a storm blowing through one night. My old tent survived the storms at past rallies; I have confidence that the new one will be a survivor too.

Hydration: *THIS!!!* I have a titanium plate on my right radius as a result of getting dehydrated on a ride, and the incident is noteworthy because I was also having a navigational problem that kept me distracted despite being aware of my dehydration. I've been through military desert-training, but I still got dried-out that day so let that be a lesson that it can sneak-up on anybody. Be vigilant and have a plan for staying hydrated and know what to do when you have symptoms that your plan is failing.

Back