• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mirrors 2009 R1200RT

callbr549

I just got a 2009 R1200RT a few weeks ago. This may seem like a stupid question, but it seems like all I can see in the mirrors is my hands and handlebar. This is only my second motorcycle, the first being a 1973 Honda CB750 -- the mirrors on that thing stick up high and were never an issue. If it makes a difference I'm 6' 1" tall, maybe shorter riders don't have this problem? Any advice is welcome (although its hard to conceive how it can change much just from the geometry.

But other than that, what a great motorcycle! I have been having a great time on it. I live in Wisconsin -- Harley country. But every time I hear one of those obnoxiously loud machines I know I made the right decision for me.

I could see fine in my mirrors but didn't like having to glance downwards. I installed a set of mirrors from an R1200S. There are holes in the levers where they fit right in. Now I can see great without looking down. I wasn't sure I woucould led like the look of them on the bike but I actually don't mind the look.

Brian

I could see fine in my mirrors but didn't like having to glance downwards. I installed a set of mirrors from an R1200S. There are holes in the levers where they fit right in. Now I can see great without looking down. I wasn't sure I woucould led like the look of them on the bike but I actually don't mind the look.

Brian

I did the same on 09 R1200RT...easy install and looks fine...and I’m 6’ 2”.

Also added some mini stick-on convex blind spot mirrors in the corners for added awareness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Originally designed for the offroad/adventure crowd the Doubletake mirrors are excellent kit. I have them on 2 bikes. They have a new shape other than the original round style. Might not be what you're looking for but definitely an option.
https://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Having ridden an R100RS for 20+ years, the mirrors on my RT are the best I've ever had. I'm 6-3 and they can be adjusted to work just fine.

Am not a fan of them oem mirrors either. As much i liked them at first, shortly after i bought
the bike bought a set of mirrors for GS. Your bike should still have holes in the leaver holders
to install a set of your choice!

I got accustom to the Low in fairing mirrors on my 2011 RT. Then I packed the bike for 2-up camping and POW, My view of the yellow Tourtech bags strapped atop my panniers filled my rear view.
I added stock mirrors from a GS witch fit on the RT's handlebars with an adapter fitting also from BMW.
All is good with the rear view now! :thumb20180422_194418.jpg

same problem - accidental fix

I had the exact same problem when I got my '09 RT, and I'm about the same height as you. I tried adjusting them different ways like I would a car mirror, but nothing seemed to work. Then I unknowingly bumped the left one while cleaning the bike. The next time I rode, I could see behind me out of the left mirror instead of seeing my hand.

When I looked at the mirror more closely, the angle looked like it was aimed at the left lane instead of behind me, so I pushed the right one out too -- and it worked.

Don't get me wrong, the mirrors still aren't in the best place, but they are at least useable now.

BTW I really like my '09. I rode some of the new models last week when the factory demo truck was in town, and they are certainly nice, but my '09 somehow felt more connected after riding those new ones.

Has anyone installed handle-bar mirrors and their adapters on a 2010+ model that could share a link to where you sourced them? While the OEM mirrors are usable, they are the only about the bike I dislike.

Back