• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Test ride on a Can Am Spyder

If you're going to get a sports car make sure it has 2 doors, at least 8 cylinders or an unnaturally aspirated V6, and a 6-speed manual or dual clutch auto.

lol, I've never heard it expressed that way.

SWMBO's ride, first gen. 320 CLK. MB's first ever V-6, @ 218 bhp (SFI; 2 plugs per cyl.) it's no slouch, but it won't snap your neck back. It is however quite adept at straightening out twisties even with an auto 5-speed.

Attachments

• 989 320Clk.jpg
    989 320Clk.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 57
This thread has degenerated into cager lover trash. Where's the mods when you need them?

That CLK is a very sweet looking ride, particularly like the body styling of that gen.

But...really do prefer a sports roadster. Closest thing I ever owned to a sports car was a '96 Honda Prelude SI VTEC. It was a fun little car, and did fairly well in the corners...for a front driver.

Miata's don't really fit me very well, just a little too tight...and a little too tepid for my taste.

Need to do a bit more research, aka test drive, a Merc SLK just in case!:whistle

lol, I've never heard it expressed that way.

SWMBO's ride, first gen. 320 CLK. MB's first ever V-6, @ 218 bhp (SFI; 2 plugs per cyl.) it's no slouch, but it won't snap your neck back. It is however quite adept at straightening out twisties even with an auto 5-speed.

CLK's are great for hauling the wife, kids, and stuff like groceries and having a good time getting there......really fun car.....

SLK is the same engine.......Hook it up with a 6 speed manual, stability/braking/traction control, and twisty roads here in NW Georgia and you have quite the fun way to get anywhere...anytime. 1st and 2nd are stump pullers. 3rd will get you moving, and 4th..........hold onto your hat cause you are hitting 110mph getting onto the freeway before that semi that won't let you in knows it......and the best part is 28 to 32 MPG...A real problem is that you cruise at 70 or anywhere up and it's all the same speed, it seems, inside that cockpit....Yes, a real cockpit that one climbs into and everything is reachable within wrists reach and a little forearm movement.........God bless.......Dennis

Need to do a bit more research, aka test drive, a Merc SLK just in case!:whistle

They sell used ones YA know????............Someday, you will be old and not able to do the contortions necessary to even get onto your bike.......Then it is easy to rationalize something FUN to drive/ride......God bless.......Dennis

I was intending to only search for used...retired early at age 50 (16 years ago) due to health challenges, so pockets aren't nearly deep enough to consider new!

But, I'm still six feet over, and doing fine, so no complaints. :dance

I was intending to only search for used...

You could look at an Infiniti G35/37 Coupe. 2-doors, 300+hp, 6-speed auto with manumatic function, very neutral handling, fully appointed interior. I had one a few years ago and loved it.

This thread started about an opinion on a Spyder and has evolved into a thread about expensive cars (expensive new and the old ones are expensive to keep maintained and running.) If I had an interest in sports cars and/or convertibles, I would go a forum dedicated to them. Could you see a sports car forum turn into a motorcycle discussion?

This thread started about an opinion on a Spyder and has evolved into a thread about expensive cars (expensive new and the old ones are expensive to keep maintained and running.) If I had an interest in sports cars and/or convertibles, I would go a forum dedicated to them. Could you see a sports car forum turn into a motorcycle discussion?
Seemed to me that as it was a "Spyder" and it's relationship to a 2 wheeled motorcycle "isn't it more a car" kinda deal. I'd guess that threads wander on all forums.
Enjoy being out and safe- no matter what your on/in/straddling :)
OM

This thread has degenerated into cager lover trash. Where's the mods when you need them?

brow.gif
. .... . I gotta feeling it's going to be a long winter.

brow.gif
. .... . I gotta feeling it's going to be a long winter.

Probably, but I won't be around here much longer to cause the degeneration. LOL

And the discussion was about Can Am Spyders, my discussion took off on a tangent with a comment that I've tried a Spyder and didn't like it. But would consider a sports car as I'm hanging up my riding gear permanently.

Cheers! :)

Probably, but I won't be around here much longer to cause the degeneration. LOL

And the discussion was about Can Am Spyders, my discussion took off on a tangent with a comment that I've tried a Spyder and didn't like it. But would consider a sports car as I'm hanging up my riding gear permanently.

Cheers! :)

Don't get rid of your riding gear. I've "quit" motorcycles 3 or 4 times. I found it is an incurable disease that sometimes goes into remission but it always returns. It might be months or it might be years but it always comes back. I gave up and decided to do like a couple of friends. I don't know how much longer my 81 year old friend will ride because his eyes are failing. However, my 79 year old friend is determined that he is going to ride to Alaska and back before his 80th birthday. He's ridden in all of the lower 48 states and 38 countries in Europe. I think he will make it.

Don't get rid of your riding gear. I've "quit" motorcycles 3 or 4 times. I found it is an incurable disease that sometimes goes into remission but it always returns. It might be months or it might be years but it always comes back. I gave up and decided to do like a couple of friends. I don't know how much longer my 81 year old friend will ride because his eyes are failing. However, my 79 year old friend is determined that he is going to ride to Alaska and back before his 80th birthday. He's ridden in all of the lower 48 states and 38 countries in Europe. I think he will make it.

Thanks sincerely for the feedback...I've been considering hanging it up for the last few years, as my passion for the hobby has abated. Actually "quit" a couple of times in the past, (especially after being knocked off my Ducati by a Subaru in '96!) so somewhat familiar with this pathway. I started riding in '62, with only a couple of years since then not being pretty active. Often desired to have a true sports car many times, but with family, career, etc, etc, the bikes became a reasonable (aka...affordable) alternative to 4 wheels. An alternative that I really loved, by the way...

But circumstances, age, health, and family; priorities have once again led me to this decision point. (Though I'm only 66, I've been through 9 heart surgeries, and 16 years ago was given a 50/50 chance of living three days. With permanent scarring on my heart tissue, it's more like I'm 76 instead of 66 physically. Real challenges with riding in heat or wet/cold, and losing my motorcycling skills as the miles get less and less. Fewer than 500 miles on my beautiful S bike in 2014.)

So, I'll not dispose of my riding gear. Afte all who wants to buy a 7year old Arai helmet or a 17 year old Thurlow (custom fit) Deerskin M/C jacket...lol? I may even keep my wonderful '04 S as a permanent garage art piece!

Sorry for going all OT again!!! (NOT!)

Thanks muchly for the caring advice! Cheers! :dance

I'm only 61, 2 years ago I got the Ural as an alternative to another 2 wheeler. Hate to say it but I absolutely love it, partly because I can see my 2 wheeler skills starting to fade. Reaction times, knees, back, eyes, all that stuff. Can have a ton of fun on the rig going slow, the mechanicals are so basic they make tinkering a joy, and the wife and kids love it. Definitely not a superslab or distance machine, but as a daily grocery getter commuter round town bike it's a blast. Not for everyone, but anyone wanting to get back to the thrill of their first bike this may be the ticket.

Did test drive a Miata, liked it, bought one and found that the stretching and straining of getting in and out actually helped alleviate my off/on (over the last 30 years) back pain. The wife thought having the Miata might cure my motorcycle habit. It didn't but she's happy with it anyway since she can't ride pillion any more.

Ha! No good sense in choosing between a bike and a Miata when you can have both! Heck, get a few, I say. :whistle
:beer

There are many motorcycle threads on the Rennlist, and there is a permanent Porsche thread on ADVrider, so the crossover is happening all the time. Any discussion of Spyders is inevitably going to lead into one about sports cars.

I see them as kind of a transitional element between bikes and sports cars. They seem to be growing in popularity.

Last edited:
You could look at an Infiniti G35/37 Coupe. 2-doors, 300+hp, 6-speed auto with manumatic function, very neutral handling, fully appointed interior. I had one a few years ago and loved it.

I remember you talking about the Infiniti Couples at the Salem event! And your comment that the trunk was large enough to fit a set of golf clubs, which is a consideration. I can pull my golf club cart behind my S, but have to repack the wheel bearings frequently! :whistle

Cheers!

I remember you talking about the Infiniti Couples at the Salem event! And your comment that the trunk was large enough to fit a set of golf clubs, which is a consideration. I can pull my golf club cart behind my S, but have to repack the wheel bearings frequently! :whistle

Cheers!

Make sure you get the sport suspension with 18" wheels. Copy on the golf cart. :laugh

But I always say, go big or go home...

Attachments

• Go Big or Go Home.jpg
    Go Big or Go Home.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Back