• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RTW Oil consumption

greg

Cupcake
All of my previous Air/Oil/Hex heads have burned between 1/2 a quart and a full quart between oil changes. Not an issue at all and if I did some flogging I could up that consumption a bit. Most of those were GSes with large bags so carrying a quart wasn't difficult.

With the new RT I have burned very little since the break-in oil change. I've put 3000 miles on it in the last 6 weeks and I can just barely discern any movement in the window. I check it before I ride so it has been sitting overnight when I do look. Finally a bike I don't think I need to worry about carrying oil!

I rode it pretty hard from 400 to 700 miles. I think that might have contributed to the low consumption. Guess I'll know over the next 2 or 3 changes.

All of my previous Air/Oil/Hex heads have burned between 1/2 a quart and a full quart between oil changes. Not an issue at all and if I did some flogging I could up that consumption a bit. Most of those were GSes with large bags so carrying a quart wasn't difficult.

With the new RT I have burned very little since the break-in oil change. I've put 3000 miles on it in the last 6 weeks and I can just barely discern any movement in the window. I check it before I ride so it has been sitting overnight when I do look. Finally a bike I don't think I need to worry about carrying oil!

I rode it pretty hard from 400 to 700 miles. I think that might have contributed to the low consumption. Guess I'll know over the next 2 or 3 changes.

That's a good thing. My guess is that the new engine has tighter tolerances, better materials and with unit construction, just a stiffer engine, not to mention the benefits of liquid cooling. I guess what I am saying is that I am not surprised.

I have over 9000 miles and I don't think it's burned a drop. The oil has been changed 3 times - at 600, 3000 (before my trip out west) and at 9000. Very happy so far!

2014 R1200RTW- R1200GSA water cooled motor- Oil consumption

I took delivery of RT in Feb. just had the 18 k service done, and approaching 19 k now. Also, have an R1200GSA delivered new in Aug. of this year, w/ about 8k. Neither of these bikes have used a drop of oil.

I'm impressed. I use to carry a quart of oil w/ me on trips, just in case. Not sure I will need to anymore.

I have a new to me, 2004 R1150RT that has only 11k in miles. The bike was little used and when ridden was not pushed at all.
I have put about 800 miles on it now and had to add about 1/2 qt of oil. I can smell oil when I'm riding but there is no evidence of leakage.
Is this normal for this year oil head? Maybe the rings have not seated yet? The PO was using a full synthetic 20-50 oil, is this the right oil for this bike with this mileage? Seems that I read on some thread that synthetic oil should not be used until the rings have seated. Is this right?

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions as I'm also new to BMW.

Last edited:
Is this normal for this year oil head? Maybe the rings have not seated yet? The PO was using a full synthetic 20-50 oil, is this the right oil for this bike with this mileage? Seems that I read on some thread that synthetic oil should not be used until the rings have seated. Is this right?

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions as I'm also new to BMW.

First, you have to be careful when checking the oil level. Ride the bike to full operating temperature, then park it on the side stand. After at least 15 minutes, you can put the bike up on the center stand and check the oil level. This lets the oil cooler drain to give an accurate oil level.

Air cooled only bikes will use more oil than the new partial water cooled, due to tighter tolerances on the LC bikes.

I switched to full synthetic 20W-50 in my '03RT fairly early on. The bike uses some oil, but not much.

Harry

First, you have to be careful when checking the oil level. Ride the bike to full operating temperature, then park it on the side stand. After at least 15 minutes, you can put the bike up on the center stand and check the oil level. This lets the oil cooler drain to give an accurate oil level.

Air cooled only bikes will use more oil than the new partial water cooled, due to tighter tolerances on the LC bikes.

I switched to full synthetic 20W-50 in my '03RT fairly early on. The bike uses some oil, but not much.

Harry

I may be checking it wrong as the manual I have says to after riding place on the center stand, wait 3 minutes, then check. I'll give your recommendation a try and see if there is much difference in the reading.

At what mileage should I expect the rings are seated?

I have a new to me, 2004 R1159RT that has only 11k in miles.

This question should probably be in the oilhead section. But to answer the question some R1150 bikes took a very long while to stop using oil. My RT used a couple of quarts every 6K until I had about 22K miles on the bike when consumption dropped to near nothing. At the time it was common to read of people saying their bike finally stopped using oil in the 18K-20K range.

The hexhead that replaced my RT used about a quart the first 6K then consumption dropped to near nothing.

My wethead that replaced my hexhead has used near nothing since the bike was new.

I haven't a clue if BMW has made improvements or I'm riding them different.

I may be checking it wrong as the manual I have says to after riding place on the center stand, wait 3 minutes, then check. I'll give your recommendation a try and see if there is much difference in the reading.

At what mileage should I expect the rings are seated?

Maybe 1,000? I don't know. I never worried about it. I did follow the recommendations for break-in, not revving too high for the periods listed, and doing various speeds and doing some hills, and not just droning down the road at a constant speed and throttle setting.

Harry

This question should probably be in the oilhead section. But to answer the question some R1150 bikes took a very long while to stop using oil. My RT used a couple of quarts every 6K until I had about 22K miles on the bike when consumption dropped to near nothing. At the time it was common to read of people saying their bike finally stopped using oil in the 18K-20K range.

The hexhead that replaced my RT used about a quart the first 6K then consumption dropped to near nothing.

My wethead that replaced my hexhead has used near nothing since the bike was new.

I haven't a clue if BMW has made improvements or I'm riding them different.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong area. I'll get the hang on this forum layout soon and understand the difference between a Oilhead, Wethead, Hexhead, etc. :)

Thank You for your comments on my perceived oil consumption problem. I'm hoping that the oil usage will drop as I get more mile on it. (and I'm really looking forward to getting those mile !)

I rode it pretty hard from 400 to 700 miles. I think that might have contributed to the low consumption. Guess I'll know over the next 2 or 3 changes.[/QUOTE said:
2005 1200RT bought as demo used 3/4 qt every 3kmi, 35kmi, 2007 1200RT bought new broke in per instructions by engine builder 70mi 90% broke in never used oil between changes 38kmi, bought new 2010 K1300GT broke in per instructions by same engine builder 70mi 90% broke in never used oil between oil changes 59kmi, bought new 2013 1200GSLC broke in same as 2 no oil consumption between oil changes every 6kmi 35kmi now and going strong.
bought 2012 Honda CRV new broke in same way no oil consumption
Google MotortuneUSA.com/breake-in-secrets.htm It works

Changed the oil going from valvolene t6 to shell rotella t6. Put 2000 miles in 5 days and used not a drop of oil and the smell of hot oil is gone also.
I guess you can draw any of several reason for this, different oil, valves final seat, combination of them. But the oil usage has stopped.

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was looking like I'd be in the "negligible oil consumption" crowd but now I'm thinking not. Weather has been too crappy this winter to ride much so I only got about 3600 miles on it since the 600 mile service (at 900 miles, oops) and it hadn't used any oil and I was quite encouraged. When I checked it after last Sunday's ride it had gone down about 1/4". I know I'm checking the oil wrong, I do it when the engine is stone cold, on the centerstand - actually just before I ride it out of the garage. But I do it the same way every time so at least I'm consistent. I doubt I'll have to add any before the 6K service in a couple of weeks though so that's good.

It was raining when I left for work today and when I got my rain gear out of the pannier I was amused to find a quart of oil there too. I'd forgotten I was carrying it! First BMW that ever happened to! I look forward to not carrying oil in the future, but I'll still have some paper funnels because you never know...

It was looking like I'd be in the "negligible oil consumption" crowd but now I'm thinking not. Weather has been too crappy this winter to ride much so I only got about 3600 miles on it since the 600 mile service (at 900 miles, oops) and it hadn't used any oil and I was quite encouraged. When I checked it after last Sunday's ride it had gone down about 1/4". I know I'm checking the oil wrong, I do it when the engine is stone cold, on the centerstand - actually just before I ride it out of the garage. But I do it the same way every time so at least I'm consistent. I doubt I'll have to add any before the 6K service in a couple of weeks though so that's good.

It was raining when I left for work today and when I got my rain gear out of the pannier I was amused to find a quart of oil there too. I'd forgotten I was carrying it! First BMW that ever happened to! I look forward to not carrying oil in the future, but I'll still have some paper funnels because you never know...

That's strange, I wonder if the outside temperature is having a effect? My 14 hasn't used a drop I only have 7200 sMiles butt between the 600 and 6000 not a drop... I don't carry oil, like you I did in the past when my 02 RT was below 40k then it became reliable enough not to carry oil.

Keep checking and let us know, a 1/4" isn't that much movement with so many ways to effect the reading...

Jay

That's strange, I wonder if the outside temperature is having a effect? My 14 hasn't used a drop I only have 7200 sMiles butt between the 600 and 6000 not a drop... I don't carry oil, like you I did in the past when my 02 RT was below 40k then it became reliable enough not to carry oil.

Keep checking and let us know, a 1/4" isn't that much movement with so many ways to effect the reading...

Jay

I think oil is supposed to be checked with the engine warm/hot. I usually do it 10 minutes after riding.

Back