• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT or LT

wkuwiz

I am new to this forum but would like to hear actual Owner's opinions on the differences between earlier version of the LT vs. RT1150 - specifically years 2000-2006. I realize they are different bikes but both are pretty much going to be used for two up riding in my case. The RT has the sport side hands down but the price of the LT's I see cannot be ignored for the machine it appears to be. Or am I just getting too old?
My GF and I have F650's and enjoy ADV riding, camping, getting muddy, etc. We live in NW Arkansas and ride the gravel frequently. But the price of several of these bigger, long distance slab cruisers in our area is almost daring me to buy one just to give it a whirl for a few thousand miles and stay on the paved side of life.

If you had $5-$6m to spend on a used bike with less than 60,000 miles - what would you do?

You may want to add the 03 or 04 K1200GT to your list.
Same engine as the LT, but with more HP and the GT is much lighter than the LT.

web-BMW-K1200GT-side.jpg

Last edited:
From an RT owner: The RT has bigger saddlebags (plus an easily-detached trunk), a bigger gas tank, uses less gas, and is easier to work on. The LT (and GT; note that the GT is an RS with a little more fairing) makes more absolute power. A well-tuned K is smoother than the twin. I don't "know", but I believe the LT has more room for a passenger?

I find my RT and friends' KRS (and 1200 & 1300S's) very comfortable all day long, they all fit me well. They're all quite "acceptable" in twisties (but of course there's no comparison to something specifically intended for that venue).

From an RT owner: The RT has bigger saddlebags (plus an easily-detached trunk), a bigger gas tank, uses less gas, and is easier to work on.
I find my RT and friends' KRS (and 1200 & 1300S's) very comfortable all day long, they all fit me well. QUOTE]

Paul - Thanks for the response. Yes, the RT looks even easier to work on than my Dakar! I see a few for sale here and many with 100m on the odometer. They look like a great ride so I'm going to test one. How tall are you? I am 6'2" 210lbs and get a pain in my butt on the Dakar occasionally! IS your RT comfortable for taller riders?

The only reason I throw the big LT in the mix is there's one nearby for a reasonably easy price. Well cared for. It could be sweet for long rides.

I'm about 5' 10" with a 33" inseam and ~165 pounds; I have the Cee Bailey's "Ultimate Comfort" gel seat (LOVE it!), which raises the top of the seat a little over stock, and I have "tilt adjusting" shims under the forward seat mount to flatten (raise) it, and I keep the seat on the 2nd position (of 3). I can flat-foot in my normal boots.

As someone that has owned and worked on/maintained a Dakar, as well as an oilhead R bike, I can assure you the RT would be much easier to work on than your Dakar.

The horizontal twins are tough to beat for ease of routine maintenance. The smoothness of the K bikes is impossible to deny, but to my way of thinking the horizontal twins have more soul and character.

You may want to add the 03 or 04 K1200GT to your list.
Same engine as the LT, but with more HP and the GT much lighter than the LT.

web-BMW-K1200GT-side.jpg

Awesome bike right here there.... But....that left side pannier being barely big enough to pack my girlfriends panties...well we had to go with an RT. In my opinion, being an RT owner and ridden several K1200lt's, the LT motor is super sweet, but the RT is much easier to maintain..Sure the valves and throttles need to be done every 6000 miles, but that's just once a year for us...so every spring, I break out the manometer and feeler gauges and spend an hour with the bike...just my nickels worth of opinion. . And another but...the only reason I don't have a FJR1300 is because the girlfriend doesn't like the seating...that said, if I were single, and thank goodness I am not....an FJR would be in the garage.

RT is winning

Mike, Lee, Jeff:
That's what I like to hear. The RT appears to be the choice for you guys and I am being swayed. There are a couple of RT's nearby 2002 -2004 for around my price range. I'm going to go ride a higher mileage one at the dealer to get a feel.

And yes, I hear you about easier to work on than my Dakar. But I like the little thumper on AR gravel!

The reason I ask about the LT is not that it's first on the road bike list but there's a 2000 model in very good condition with 55M on it listed for $4200. Hard not to look at that price.

Keep your thoughts coming.

I had a 2000 K1200LT for 11 years. It was by far the best two up bike I have ever owned. My wife is a full figure gal and the pillion seat was very comfortable for her and I had a ton of room. Lots of space for packing stuff with the big trunk. I removed the CD player to make room for more space in the right saddlebag. The challenge was always in parking lots, camp grounds and other slow spots. Once moving the bike was wonderful to handle. I have a 30 inch inseam and was flatfooted in the low seat position when stopped.

I traded an R80RT in to buy the LT. I loved the R80RT for solo riding, but it did not have seat space for the two of us.

I sold the the LT when I ended two up riding. I now have a 1998 K1200RS and a 2007 R1200RT. I just finished going to the rally in St. Paul on the R1200RT via the north shore of Lake Superior in Canada, down into Chicago and then back up to Saint Paul....then home via Louisville where I saw my newborn Great Grand Daughter. The 1200RT is a great touring bike.

Regarding fuel economy, the LT gave me the best mileage consistently of any BMW I have owned.

If you and your passenger are not "big" people, the RT will do you well. If you need the space, go with the LT.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!!!

RT vs. LT vs. GT

I was going to post almost exactly the same question, and damn if it wasn't the most recent post in the folder! But a little twist to it, and a comment...

I've had a 2004 K1200GT for about 2 years now, and starting to extend my *range* (planning more weekend trips, etc.), almost always riding two-up. Both my wife and I are finding the stock seat pretty uncomfortable after 100-150 miles. I also find the wind turbulence pretty bad at interstate speeds, to the point where it gets tiring to ride very long. So I was looking for opinions on (1) whether the RT cruises better (it looks like everyone has a smoother ride than me on the highway), and (2) how will the handling differ in the twisties?

I don't want a LT - just too big for anything other than long-distance riding - and IMO the newer GT is not attractive. It seems like the RT is a nice blend. BTW, we're both about average size; I'm 6'-0, 195 lbs.

Although the 03-04 GT is a really nice looking bike and nice to ride, it's really, really hard to accessorize. There are very few or no options for third-party luggage (Givi), windshields (Parabellum), seats (Sargent), and any other bolt-on hardware, or you have to go custom. Had I known that, I might have chosen differently.

Pete

My personal experience is that the RT has the best weather protection/least buffeting of any bike I've ridden, bar none. At least for the rider. I never had a passenger on mine so can't speak to that. As for the handling, I've not been on a K1200. But I found the RT delightfully nimble so even if it's not quite up to your K-bike I doubt you'd have a serious issue.

"Delightfully nimble" is a great description. I'm not an aggressive rider, especially two-up (just working on being more controlled), so that's really helpful.

Pete

"Delightfully nimble" is a great description. I'm not an aggressive rider, especially two-up (just working on being more controlled), so that's really helpful.

Pete

On a "crooked road" a K1200LT can be surprisingly nimble. The big girl can dance.

I just finished going to the rally in St. Paul on the R1200RT via the north shore of Lake Superior in Canada, down into Chicago and then back up to Saint Paul....then home via Louisville where I saw my newborn Great Grand Daughter. The 1200RT is a great touring bike.
QUOTE]

George,
First, CONGRATULATIONS on your new Great Grand Daughter! That's such a treat. And I can feel the enthusiasm as you write.
Secondly, thank you for your input. I comprehend all that you write in a manner that let's me visualize how I'll ride. I would be buying the bike for two up trips and really am leaning toward the RT. The RT with full bags should be all I need for a weekend get away. My GF and I are larger people (6'2" and 5'11) so we have to see how we feel. If we are gone longer than a weekend I can trailer my two 650's for some gravel and dirt with her!

What you say about slow speeds and handling the LT make me anxious about owning one. But she's got to be one helluva cruiser on the open highway.

Everyone else - please keep the input coming I like hearing from other BMW Owners about their experiences. It's what makes a community great.
Chris

Last edited:
Chris,
Just to clarify a little regarding the weight of the LT. The low seat gave me strong footing, including stops on angled mountain roads.

The weight and balance at low speeds are a matter of getting used to. The only serious problem I had was my wife leaning over to see where we were going as I turned into a restaurant parking space...she never did that again!

I found the handling and smoothness in the twisty's better on the LT than my three airheads. The suspension system is superb as well as the brakes. Of course, later model RT's have that same suspension.

The power of the K is fantastic for two up. There is so much torque you can forget to downshift and the bike simply handles it.

My wife (and grown daughters) loved the LT heated back on cool mornings. You get a heated passenger seat on the RT, but not a heated passenger back.

The LT reverse gear is also helpful when needed. I did not use it often, but it did the job when required.

One thing I felt was inferior was the low beam headlight on the LT. Later models than my 2000 may have improved, but I added Moto Lites in order to be able to drive the 2 lane blacktop more safely.

One key difference in our situations: none of my women passengers were ever interested in becoming a rider.

I wish you well as you make your decision.

George

I am new to this forum but would like to hear actual Owner's opinions on the differences between earlier version of the LT vs. RT1150 - specifically years 2000-2006. I realize they are different bikes but both are pretty much going to be used for two up riding in my case. The RT has the sport side hands down but the price of the LT's I see cannot be ignored for the machine it appears to be. Or am I just getting too old?
My GF and I have F650's and enjoy ADV riding, camping, getting muddy, etc. We live in NW Arkansas and ride the gravel frequently. But the price of several of these bigger, long distance slab cruisers in our area is almost daring me to buy one just to give it a whirl for a few thousand miles and stay on the paved side of life.

If you had $5-$6m to spend on a used bike with less than 60,000 miles - what would you do?

Since you are in NW arkansas go see BOB at Bentonville BMW, he rides a LT and there are few that can keep up with him. He can make that big girl dance when he wants.

They are all nice folks. It is a unhurried dealership, and you will be treated as a friend even if you are not buying. They will be selling you parts and maybe some service. What service I have had done there, has been done correctly at a fair price. As you know, service is never cheap, fair is as good as it gets, and they are fair. They also actually seem to stock parts. I ride a R1150RS which is not common, I will call to order something I am sure they will not have, like a turn signal lens, and surprise, they have it in stock.

Note, do not speed in Bella Vista or Greenland. They both have speed changes from 55 to 45 and back with no real reason.

Warning, watch out for those test riders, they can make you want a K1600 really BAD.

Rod

I am new to this forum but would like to hear actual Owner's opinions on the differences between earlier version of the LT vs. RT1150 - specifically years 2000-2006.

A '99 LT was the only bike where I (eventually) had buyers remorse. It took a while, but I finally listened to myself as I told people how the bike was great but I'd not own it if I didn't have another bike in the garage. After one particularly nasty ride (got stuck behind a car going about 6 MPH down a steep road with lots of switchbacks and no place to pass) I gave in and ordered the then new 2002 model year R1150RT (delivered to me in May of 2001). It took another year to get finally get rid of the LT.

That said, it depends upon the kind of riding you do. If your ride is getting on I80 in New York and not leaving it until San Francisco the LT is the bike for you. If you instead you are the kind of guy who will ride 100 miles out of your way to avoid 100 miles of interstate then don't give the LT a second thought.

Since you are in NW arkansas go see BOB at Bentonville BMW, he rides a LT and there are few that can keep up with him. He can make that big girl dance when he wants.

Rod

Rod:
Thanks. I have been using them for about a year now. I know Bob, Jerry, Denise, Tony, and Andy! I dog my Dakar a little too much sometimes and have to replace little BMW plastic parts around the tail section often. I have seen the two older RT's in there. Thanks.

I have ridden an RT and have an LT. If most of your riding is going to be two up long distance touring, the LT is the bike to have if it fits you. It has great distance, very comfortable, great storage, and great weather protection. It is tall though and quite heavy. It also has servo brakes. These cause many people to break out in a cold sweat and start to shake. My first bike was an 1150R with servo brakes, so that is what I learned on so the LT does not scare me and the brakes at low to no speed are fine, you just have to pay attention to them or they will dump you. I believe depending on which vintage RT you are looking at, it too will have servo brakes. Now if you are going to mainly ride one up, I would go with the RT since it will tour very nicely, but will let you have fun when alone. The LT can be fun too, but she is a big girl.

My LT was my lone bike for several years and I never disliked riding it alone to work or anywhere else. That being said, yes, sometimes I wish for a smaller sportier bike, but the RT does not even fit what I have in mind. I would recommend finding a dealer that has both that you can test ride and take them out. Both are great bikes and will fit you a bit differently. Go with the one that fits the best and best fits what you hope to do with it. Both bikes have plus and minuses when it comes to services, but both are pretty easy to take care of routine maintenance of.

Good luck!

RT vs. GT

Rather than commit to one or the other, I bought a 2006 R1200RT and brought it home, promising my wife I would sell one of them in a couple of months. I rode the RT steadily for a couple weeks to get comfortable with it, then rode the GT to work one day. The smoothness and responsiveness of the 4-cylinder almost made me keep it, but the overall handling and comfort of the RT make it a better fit for me. Easy to maneuver at low speeds, handles well in the twisties, and more comfortable at highway speeds. Here's how I summed it up: they are both classed as Sport Touring bikes, but the GT is a SPORT Touring bike, and the RT is a Sport TOURING bike.

There will soon be a beautiful Orient Blue 2004 K1200GT on the market.

Back