• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When is it too cold for you to ride?

Now this is a studded motorcycle tire. A motorcycle tire with an automobile recap, mounted on a Yamaha R1 getting prepped to go up the haul road in February...

Attachments

• RearTire.jpg
    RearTire.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 136
Never too cold but sometimes snowy or icy and then I'll be forced to drive. They have a habit of salting and cindering the roads until they are like dirt roads around here and I don't care much for that either.

Now this is a studded motorcycle tire. A motorcycle tire with an automobile recap, mounted on a Yamaha R1 getting prepped to go up the haul road in February...

I remember seeing a picture of that tire. Wasn't it from the winter ride of the European couple. He on his R-1, she was on an F-800GS? Loved their blog and videos.

Max has been advertising these-
studdedsnows.jpg

To me it isn't temperature so much as it is road conditions. I don't ride in snow (we don't get much anyway) or ice (we do get that). We seldom get daytime temps below freezing so my heated jacket liner and grips pretty much do the job.

To me it isn't temperature so much as it is road conditions. I don't ride in snow (we don't get much anyway) or ice (we do get that). We seldom get daytime temps below freezing so my heated jacket liner and grips pretty much do the job.

Hey Rusty...cold enough this week? :wave

It's when you're out of gas that it becomes too cold to ride.

I think with the really good heated gear that's available, cold isn't an issue...until you run out of gas and are stranded on the side of the road with nothing to power that once warm riding suit. I'm happy riding when it's cold; but, seriously consider where I am and how quickly I can get to shelter if I have a mechanical issue. A stiff wind will take the heat right out of any suit quickly. Be warned, prepare for that and go have fun!

Several years ago I decided that cold was not going to stop me from going out on a ride. I had a 1996 R1100RT with the heated grips cranking, and the Widder electric vest toasty I ran up I-5, north of Portland, to look at a project. As I motored north, a bank of fog had settled in the flood plain of one of the many rivers the freeway crosses (Cowlitz, Lewis, Kalama or Toutle). The fog got real thick, so I decided to change into the slower, right lane. As I usually do, I accelerated a bit with the lane change and the rear wheel just spun. I was on black ice. I continued moving to the right all the way into the shoulder and slowly idled to the next onramp where I turned around and went home. At no time was I cold, however it was too cold to ride.

-26C with the wind, -42C, too cold to do anything.

Temperature today is -26C with the wind, -42C. I saw on the news that kids were skating in Dallas outside on the streets? Everything is parked. Every vehicle I own is making odd noises and some noises don't sound too good.

Square tires is not an urban myth.

In this weather, if you have any health issues, the cold will force your body into using more energy, making problems you might have feel worse.

This weather can be very dangerous.

A couple of days ago, a friend told me it was -40 degrees in Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
I asked, "Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?"
He didn't get it...

-40C is way colder in Canada than -40F in the USA.

A couple of days ago, a friend told me it was -40 degrees in Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
I asked, "Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?"
He didn't get it...

The reason why it's way colder in Canada at the same temperature is because I have never heard of anybody in the USA complaining about frozen hockey pucks breaking. Yep, they do.

And, if you need to snowblow your driveway after the kids have been playing hockey, you should probably expect at least one stick will go through the machine like it's a wood chipper. You can't be mad at them, they are after all younguns that need love and tenderness.

As you drag your blowed-up snow blower through the snow to where you can fix it, just remember, we are CANADIAN and that's what we do!

When I was a kid, I rode my Cushman year round. Had to, to operate my paper route and keep up the payments.:D With it's small wheels and low centre of gravity, riding on ice was doable.

The -25 F days were tough, and I had to be careful not to get frostbitten.

As a kid in the midwest, I rode a Cushman Eagle year round to grade school, work, high school, work and treks into the country. It taught me the importance of keeping your core warm. These days, if the temps drop below 35F and/or the roads ice up, I won't ride. Otherwise, it's fun to get out and ride with the kids whenever possible, winter included.

I think with the really good heated gear that's available, cold isn't an issue...until you run out of gas and are stranded on the side of the road with nothing to power that once warm riding suit. I'm happy riding when it's cold; but, seriously consider where I am and how quickly I can get to shelter if I have a mechanical issue. A stiff wind will take the heat right out of any suit quickly. Be warned, prepare for that and go have fun!

i woke up to -17 F yesterday. (that's like -5 billion on the Celsius scale).
i don't care how many heated pieces of clothing you have, that's too cold to ride.
i considered heated eye warmers, but had some real difficulty seeing where i was going, so gave up on that concept.

i woke up to -17 F yesterday. (that's like -5 billion on the Celsius scale).
i don't care how many heated pieces of clothing you have, that's too cold to ride.
i considered heated eye warmers, but had some real difficulty seeing where i was going, so gave up on that concept.

+1

Rode my 1150 GS to work today (10 mi). Fleece hood inside the helmet was OK, but rode up leaving me with a feeling like an ice cold spike pressing into my forehead.:hungover Then there was the issue of getting my helmet straps through the D-rings with numb fingers. :hungover

All this so I can say I rode today cause I won't be able to tomorrow with the snow coming? :scratch

Back