• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Are the Advantages of a Center Stand?

Other than making the bike harder to tip and making maintenance and repair easier? I use it most of the time because I think it looks cool, but I was wondering if there are any advantages in terms of keeping weight off of the suspension and tires while parked.

Other than using the centre stand for getting the max # of litres of gas into the bikes, parking to reduce space in the garage, or to facilitate packing the bikes, I use the side stand. Actually, unless the bikes are in winter storage, mine are usually on the side stands which make the bikes more stable when parked. Harder to tip on the centre stand? I think the reverse is true since the triangular foot print is much smaller while on the centre stand.

(The first time I took a ferry crossing, I ignored the deckhand's advice about using the side stand when securing the bike. Looking back, I was very lucky that the bike remained upright on the centre stand during that rough 90 minute crossing.)

i have never been able to get my r12r up on the center stand

i guess i'm leverage challanged.

:dunno

I heard that on the boxer, oil can seep into the left piston while on the side stand for a long time. This apparently doesn't cause any harm, maybe a bit of start up smoke.

I almost never use my center stand unless needed for reasons noted above, or I'm working on it, etc.

It's not "harder to tip" on the centerstand for sure.

First rule of BMW rallies is don't park next to a BMW on its centerstand.

Centerstands are for maintenance.

Well, if its an airhead, its handy for doing 180 deg spins of the bike, though the inside leg will wear thru at some point (don't aks me how I know) but.... IT LOOKS KOOL when you do it! :laugh (or at least I thought so 30 years ago... :lol )

RM

There are two problems I have not having a center stand on my CLC. It is very hard to clean the rear tire and wheel and checking the oil level in the sight glass. I can put my old airhead on the center stand and spin the rear wheel to clean it but the CLC with the permanent side cases causes me to have to move the bike a little three or four times to get around the entire tire.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around that since I have to use the side stand to get on and off. My feet are a foot off the ground on the center stand.
First, I've actually never heard of an R12 sidestand break (they're too new as yet), so you don't have much to worry about. Older K's and the occassional airhead stand have been known to break -- usually after they have been deployed/leaned on, however.

My comment was directed more toward continued use of the bike after a sidestand failure. Can you step off the bike when both wheels are on the ground? It's awkward for me with my 30" inseam, but I can do it. As far as getting the bike down from the centerstand, either stand next to the bike with your right hand covering the front brake when the bike hits the ground, or straddle the bike and slide one foot to the ground as you rock the bike off the stand.

I'm currently riding a K100RT as temp bike until my K16 arrives; the KRT with the 1st owner's custom seat is just plain too tall for me (on tip toes, at best, for maneuvering about the driveway). I can still safely drop the bike off the stand with my tail sliding over to one side to increase one leg's reach to the ground.

There are two problems I have not having a center stand on my CLC. It is very hard to clean the rear tire and wheel and checking the oil level in the sight glass. I can put my old airhead on the center stand and spin the rear wheel to clean it but the CLC with the permanent side cases causes me to have to move the bike a little three or four times to get around the entire tire.
Also handy for periodic checks for rear wheel slop indicative of an impending FD failure.

As far as getting the bike down from the centerstand, either stand next to the bike with your right hand covering the front brake when the bike hits the ground, or straddle the bike and slide one foot to the ground as you rock the bike off the stand.

I don't think I could pull either of those off. The first would require me to be able to hold the bike up and balance on my left leg while lifting my right over it. On the second, I would have to slide so far off to get one foot on the ground that the chances of me dropping it once it slid off the center stand would be very, very high.

I'm still trying to understand how some here are saying the side stand is more secure than the center stand?:scratch

It's very easy for the bike to fall using the side stand. Especially if your on ground that softens as it heat up. I know the KRS is notorious for side stand falls but the center stand is rock solid. It takes about as much effort to tip my bike on it's centerstand as it does to lift it when it's fallen off it's side stand.

I'm still trying to understand how some here are saying the side stand is more secure than the center stand?:scratch

With a side stand your 3 contact points are more spread out (one on each tire and the side stand) With the certerstand you have two very close points and one of the tires, making a narrow triangle. Depending on the amount of lean designed in and the stability of the ground you parked on. Probably varies with bike and terrain. I usually use the centerstand in the garage because the bike takes up less space.

When the motorcycle is parked using the side stand it has three points of contact to the ground: front tire, rear, tire and side stand. When it's on the center stand it has two points of contact. The center stand and either the front or rear tire, depending on the center of gravity. I only use the center stand to perform maintenance.

Like 29. A sports doctor once told me I have the torso of someone 6'2" and the legs of someone 5'6"
Pretty much summarizes my arrangements, too. It ain't fun getting on/off with no sidestand, but you'll be surprised what you can do when the choice is that or easing her to the ground! :D

Pretty much summarizes my arrangements, too. It ain't fun getting on/off with no sidestand, but you'll be surprised what you can do when the choice is that or easing her to the ground! :D

You were right--I went out in the garage and played with it and I could roll it off of the center stand if it was on a flat surface. I'd still be worried about getting off of the bike with no side stand.

Picture the triangle formed by the contact point of the two wheels and the side stand. Now picture the triangle of the two legs of the center stand and one wheel. The bigger triangle is generally more stable. That's why some ferry operators insist you tie down using the side stand. The bike can rock back and forth on the center stand, leaving it with only two points of contact at times. Some bikes will even balance on the center stand with the right amount of load and fuel in the tank. Two contact points are never as stable as three.

It's very easy for the bike to fall using the side stand.

Fall which way? If it's falling away from the side stand your stand may be too tall. That is not uncommon when folks add shorter shocks. I've also seen falls when folks park a bike on the side stand in neutral. Don't do that. :laugh

One leg of a center stand can dig into asphalt (or a soft shoulder) as easily as a side stand. BTDT.

I use my center stand in the garage to minimize space used. I also use it for maintenance... changing a tire on a side stand is a pain. When not parked where space is limited I'll most often use the side stand.

Back