• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pinlock anti-fog visor insert

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
Now that the mornings are getting colder, I've again begun the annual battle with fogging of my visor.

Earlier I started a thread asking for suggestions on ways to minimize visor fogging. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=20483

Based upon the opinions expressed there and a review I found on the "webbikeworld" web site, I decided to go with the Pinlock insert.

I ordered a clear replacement visor for my Shoei Multitec, pre-drilled for the Pinlock insert, and a Pinlock insert directly from Shoei. This morning was my first ride with the new visor.

For a total investment of $80 (Pinlock+new visor+shipping) I am very underwhelmed. At first, I noticed no difference whatsoever between the visor with the Pinlock insert compared to a visor without the insert. As I rode, it seemed that the moisture absorption properties of the insert slowly improved with time. At first I had to keep the visor open a couple of clicks to get enough air movement across the visor to eliminate fogging. As I rode on, it seemed the anti-fog properties slowly improved and I was able to close the visor down to the last click before it seals. If this is indeed the case, and it gets better as time goes by, I'll post an update and keep you appraised.

By far my greatest disappointment with the Pinlock insert is how it adds a semi-frosted look to all that you see through your visor. Oncoming headlights have rainbow glare circles around them, and everything is fuzzy. I have 20/10 vison, and it's quite disconcerting to have my eyesight diminished while riding. The reason it's getting colder is because the days are getting shorter, and here in Seattle, I'm now leaving the house before sunrise, so an anti-fog product that impairs vision in the dark is more of a hindrance than help.

Perhaps it just takes some getting used to, and perhaps the insert will improve over time, so I'm withholding final judgment on the system - but as for now, it's certainly not worth $80, and it's certainly not worth drilling holes in your current visor if you don't want to start with a clean slate.

Interesting. I have a pinlock shield for my X-11. It has worked very well for me. It's the same technology as the Fog City, but doesn't use stickum to put a second layer on the shield. I don't believe it at all relies on "absorbing moisture", but instead works by trapping a film of air between the two layers. For it to work properly, the silicone bead on the insert must completely seal against the visor. While it does present some "flaring" around point light sources, it's not nearly as bad as the Fog City, which is a real "trip". ;)

For $2 you can purchase a Smith brand 'No Fog Cloth' at your local ski shop(you do have a local ski shop, don't you?). I go through about 4 a year between motorcycles and skiing.

I use this for my ski goggles and mc helmet visor as well as glasses.
Just wipe the inside of the visor after washing and you are good to go for a few morning rides with NO FOGGING.

For $2 you can purchase a Smith brand 'No Fog Cloth' at your local ski shop(you do have a local ski shop, don't you?). I go through about 4 a year between motorcycles and skiing.

I use this for my ski goggles and mc helmet visor as well as glasses.
Just wipe the inside of the visor after washing and you are good to go for a few morning rides with NO FOGGING.

I've been using the Smith "No Fog Cloth" for years - I think for as long as I've skied (28 years now), and IMHO, the "No Fog Cloth" is worthless.

Maybe they've improved the formula in the last 10 years...

I think I'm just going to stop breathing while I ride.

D'oh!

Okay - In my defense, there is no mention of it in the installation or use instructions, nor on the product packaging, but the Pinlock insert has a plastic film over it which is SUPPOSED to be removed prior to use.

I was just examining my insert closely to ensure it was tightly sealed against the visor, and noticed the film was barely peeling away from the insert around the pins.

So, I will withdraw my negative review, hit the "reset" button on this entire fiasco, and let you kind folks know tomorrow how the insert performs WITHOUT the protective layer of film.

I feel like quite the rocket scientist for having ridden with the film on my insert :banghead

D'oh!

Okay - In my defense, there is no mention of it in the installation or use instructions, nor on the product packaging, but the Pinlock insert has a plastic film over it which is SUPPOSED to be removed prior to use.

I was just examining my insert closely to ensure it was tightly sealed against the visor, and noticed the film was barely peeling away from the insert around the pins.

So, I will withdraw my negative review, hit the "reset" button on this entire fiasco, and let you kind folks know tomorrow how the insert performs WITHOUT the protective layer of film.

I feel like quite the rocket scientist for having ridden with the film on my insert :banghead

Good story!! I have a version of the "Pinlock" system which comes with Nolan helmets and have found it works really well in cold weather. Hope yours works as well for you.

Good story!! I have a version of the "Pinlock" system which comes with Nolan helmets and have found it works really well in cold weather. Hope yours works as well for you.

I'm not sure I'd have the guts to come back and admit it. Good for you! :thumb

Those Pinlock guys might have lawyers. I need to cover my A$$ before I'm sued for slander :) I'm happy to admit I'm wrong if I'm wrong, and if this product works, I'll be happy to report back I've spent my $80 on a useful device.

I'm still interested in finding out whether the pinlock system prevents fogging. I was thinking about switching shields on my Multitec as well. I leave my house in the dark now and with the lower temperatures fogging is always an issue!

I'm still interested in finding out whether the pinlock system prevents fogging. I was thinking about switching shields on my Multitec as well. I leave my house in the dark now and with the lower temperatures fogging is always an issue!

The version on the Nolan does work well, the sprays and coatings I never had luck with. the area not covered by the fog insert still fogs...the covered area not at all...

And :doh is right dvandkq!:ha I can see how that might happen...I thought the insert was kind of yellow/brown until the coating was removed

The version on the Nolan does work well,

Everyone's experience is different, I guess. But, I've been wearing Nolan helmets through many winters, and a lot of mornings it's between 10 and 15 degrees when I leave for work, and so far the Nolan anti-fog inserts have worked really well for me. Enough so that I've recommend a Nolan to my other cold-weather riding buddies in large part because of the fog shield. Just another data point.

Pinlock review 2.0

Pinlock review 1.0 was full of bugs and other glitches, so I'm releasing version 2.0, which supersedes version 1.0 in all ways. Please destroy your copy of Pinlock review 1.0 and replace it with version 2.0.

This thing works like a charm. On my 20 mile commute over 40 minutes, with the first five miles on surface streets and the final fifteen miles on the highway, there was never any fog on the insert whatsoever, while the bare exposed visor around the insert was fogged the entire ride.

It was 43 degrees at home when I left this morning, and it had rained all night, so the humidity was very high. Perfect visor fogging conditions, and the insert was up to the task.

I highly recommend this product if you have problems with your face shield fogging up.

Pinlock review 1.0 was full of bugs and other glitches, so I'm releasing version 2.0, which supersedes version 1.0 in all ways. Please destroy your copy of Pinlock review 1.0 and replace it with version 2.0.

This thing works like a charm. On my 20 mile commute over 40 minutes, with the first five miles on surface streets and the final ten miles on the highway, there was never any fog on the insert whatsoever, while the bare exposed visor around the insert was fogged the entire ride.

It was 43 degrees at home when I left this morning, and it had rained all night, so the humidity was very high. Perfect visor fogging conditions, and the insert was up to the task.

I highly recommend this product if you have problems with your face shield fogging up.

That's much better!:thumb Where did you get the pinlock and the shield and how much?

That's much better!:thumb Where did you get the pinlock and the shield and how much?

I bought it directly from Shoei (along with a new clean and clear visor for optimal performance). They charged me $39.99 for the new visor, $29.99 for the insert, and $11.00 for shipping, for a grand total of $80.98.

Yesterday I noticed Aerostich sells the same thing, and if I had it to do all over again, I'd go with Aerostich as I enjoy giving them my money. Plus, they only charge $63.00 (plus shipping) for a shield/insert combo pack for Shoei lids.
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=18930&cat=416&page=2

I wonder if your bad luck with the No Fog Cloth has to do with the northwest climate compared to me living in a relatively arid climate?

Pinlock update

Miserable commute in this morning - heavy mist, light rain and fog, windy, leaves swirling around - otherwise, fall in the Pacific Northwest.

Pinlock visor remained completely fog-free, with the visor kept closed all the time. I've never ridden with the visor closed all the time, and it's really an improvement!

Highly recommended product.

Pinlok

I'm going on my 3rd winter w/ the Pinlok on my S1 and I think it works perfectly. I can't get it to fog up but I will flip the visor up occasionally to get more air. My glasses will fog up but on rainy or very cold days I wear contacts.

Update

It's been cold (~35 degrees) and raining the past few weeks here in Seattle, so I thought I'd provide an update on my experience with the Pinlock visor insert.

I wish I'd done this years ago! The product works, and amazingly well. Fog all around the insert, but none whatsoever on the insert itself.

Highly recommended product!

Thanks for the followup.. I was on the fence, now I feel like I can order the product and I know it'll work.

Back