• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

FD Failure _Dealer Explaination

If you are following the IBA you know that BMWs are experiencing final drive failure in droves.

I spoke with my BMW service manager today and he states "There is no problem with normal use and loads. Its that those guys are weighing the bikes down past lbs limits and some are pulling trailers at high speeds and long distances."

What do you think?

I think he still believes in the tooth fairy.

Lets face it, those folks make a living taking our money. Anything that stops the money flow, or causes pause is bad for business. Remember, these are the same people who told us there was no hesitation.

Easy :german
Honesty pays, but it doesn't seem to pay enough to suit some people.

I was wondering if a suction gun could be used to drain out the rear drive lube? I.e. suck it out the rear filler/oil level hole?

yes, they work great. I have a Wurth one that runs off my compressor. (disclaimer; I dont have a sealed FD, but I've used this "sucker" on bunches of like stuff and it works great.)

yes, they work great. I have a Wurth one that runs off my compressor. (disclaimer; I dont have a sealed FD, but I've used this "sucker" on bunches of like stuff and it works great.)

The sealed drive is tight to get in with a hose thru the "drain" plug hole. Maybe a really thin teflon hose would work so it doesn't hang up and can be pushed to the bottom. I would measure what I got out to make sure I got about 230cc if I did it this way.

I wonder if there is a good spot to drill and tap for a drain plug and fill plug so you don't have to pull off the wheel and drop the FD to drain it and don't have to pull the speed sensor to fill it?

I *REALLY* wonder why they didn't put a drain-plug down at 6 o'clock to begin with. :banghead

Just did my own 600-mile oil-change in the FD and ran into no problems, and the oil that came out looked healthy. The recess in the drain-plug in which the magnet lives was maybe half-full of very fine, smooth-textured metal-paste.
I did find that there is a certain rotor-position in which the new oil goes in more quickly (but still not fast). In my case, it's when the little etched Brembo-logo is at the top, but I don't know if everybody's rotor is screwed on the same way relative to the FD-internals.

I *REALLY* wonder why they didn't put a drain-plug down at 6 o'clock to begin with.

Because it's not a service item? I think they originally intended it to be a "lifetime" arrangement, but began requiring the oil change at 600 mi. Someone will correct me if necessary, but I don't think there is any further service requirement after 600 mi. unless it's recently been added.

Because it's not a service item? I think they originally intended it to be a "lifetime" arrangement, but began requiring the oil change at 600 mi. Someone will correct me if necessary, but I don't think there is any further service requirement after 600 mi. unless it's recently been added.

That is what the BMW bulletin says.

I'm still skeptical. My VW's manual says that coolant is a lifetime item and never to touch it, but the facility is there to drain, fill, everything you need. BMW obviously knew that SOME chance of having to drain was possible, or they wouldn't have given us a plug at all. While a half-ass-located plug is better than no plug, I still think that any engineer worth his lederhosen would have located that plug properly.

If you are following the IBA you know that BMWs are experiencing final drive failure in droves.

I spoke with my BMW service manager today and he states "There is no problem with normal use and loads. Its that those guys are weighing the bikes down past lbs limits and some are pulling trailers at high speeds and long distances."

What do you think?
Is this the guy?

07-minister.jpg

I found the IBA website, but nothing there about the droves of BMW rear drive failures. Would someone post a link?

Thanks.

Fred

I *REALLY* wonder why they didn't put a drain-plug down at 6 o'clock to begin with. :banghead
A bolt costs about a nickle and a washer costs a penny. The machining operation is about a quarter. Inserting the bolt with washer into the hole costs about another two cents. BMW "saved" about US$0.35 by eliminating that part.

Now, on the assumption that it is a rare bike that is ridden more than 24,000 miles within the warranty period, every failure outside of the warranty period represents parts sales for der Kraporation and service revenue for the dealership network. This is a win-win for dealers and the mother ship. No so much for the customers.

BMW's marketing department is not quite thrilled with the IBA "brand leveling" bonus proposed for the next Iron Butt Rally...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Any BMW Dealership in North America 1,000 points Available
Up To 3 Times

Pick up a copy of the repair order for the correction of a final drive
or transmission failure from any BMW dealership in North America. Your
motorcycle's vehicle identification number must appear on the repair
order. Have a glass of Kool-Aid while you are waiting. No
documentation is required for the Kool-Aid; we already know you drink
it.

1st Failure Time: ______ Odometer: _______ Code: BMW1
Approved:____________
2nd Failure Time: ______ Odometer: _______ Code: BMW2
3rd Failure Time: ______ Odometer: _______ Code: BMW3
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Please note, you can only earn the bonus three times during the 11 day rally. So much for the Legendary Motorcycles of Germany.

So much for the Legendary Motorcycles of Germany.
That's funny, but it tells me about Tom Austin, not drive failures.

Anyone have a link, or a realtime source on the droves of failures? I really want to know the truth, as I expect everyone else on here does.

Thanks.

Fred

That's funny, but it tells me about Tom Austin, not drive failures.

Anyone have a link, or a realtime source on the droves of failures? I really want to know the truth, as I expect everyone else on here does.

Thanks.

Fred

The "drove" of failures was two. Glenn Pancoast and Rob Nye. Both R1200GS drives. (Yes, I know - Rob had an RTP, but it was a GS drive in the RTP, or so Rob told me.)

See: http://www.ironbuttrally.com/ibr/2007/html/2.html

Flash, mine has those parts- just up at 9 o'clock (when you view the bike from the starboard side) instead of down where it's supposed be.

Flash, mine has those parts- just up at 9 o'clock (when you view the bike from the starboard side) instead of down where it's supposed be.
Isn't that one the FILL/level-checking plug? All my airheads had one plug at 6 for draining and one and 9 for filling. Maybe BMW lost the drawing.

I don't know. Next time I change the oil I'll try it and see if it'll take the whole amount through that hole. I have doubts though, given the minuscule size of the housing.

Is there not an article re: this procedure in last month's ON? Or did I imagine it? IIRC, it requires several things to be removed so the final drive can be rotated down and the 9 o'clock fill plug IS now at 6:00.

(Let me hear ya say "FLAT RATE". Hallelujah!)

Isn't that one the FILL/level-checking plug? All my airheads had one plug at 6 for draining and one and 9 for filling. Maybe BMW lost the drawing.

No, on the Hexheads the only threaded plug IS the drain that pivots down to 6 O'clock after removing strut and seperating u-joint... really not that hard of a task...and you can lube universal splines while you're there. Now filling iit back up thru the tiny ABS sensor hole is another issue. I warmed the lube first and had a flexible tube funnel...

Is the RTP manufactured with a GS final drive, or did Rob Nye modify his RTP?
The RTP has what looks like the same unit, but I have no idea if the gearset inside is the same.

Back