• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2023 Richmond VA: The 50th National MOA Rally

On page 20 of the May 2023 BMW Owners News, bottom of page reads "Overland Area Available". It reads as if it is for motorhomes and the such. We got one site. I am assuming we can leave a vehicle there.?

On page 20 of the May 2023 BMW Owners News, bottom of page reads "Overland Area Available". It reads as if it is for motorhomes and the such. We got one site. I am assuming we can leave a vehicle there.?

You can have/leave a vehicle in the Overland spots.

Another fifty bucks, please. :rolleyes

Invite all of your buddies for the 1st time ever Overland Area camping at the National Rally! What you'll get is a 25'x50' reserved space to put whatever you want in it. Got an overland vehicle and a tent? No problem. Does your buddy have a tent and a trailer, no problem! How about a small RV and a tent? If you can fit in in the 25'x50' space this is the spot for you. Not going to show up until Friday, no problem!! This is a dedicated space, reserved just for you my dry camping friend. The Overland Area is noisier, funner and just outright gonna be a Blast! We'll have a nightly bon-fire pit for you to enjoy, just like a small rally, but with the 50th National Rally flare!

Sounds like a great deal to me. 25’X50’ is about the footprint of a house around here. Great place for an RV or 4 tents and a central campfire.
Looks a pretty popular idea as it indicates spots are sold out.
OM

Sounds like a great deal to me. 25’X50’ is about the footprint of a house around here. Great place for an RV or 4 tents and a central campfire.
Looks a pretty popular idea as it indicates spots are sold out.
OM

Last year the motovans parked for free.

Is there any setting up tents the day before the rally or what time do the rally doors open??

I asked if we could come in on Wed. and was told it was okay. We rented a sherpa tent and they are set up on Wed. and when we registered, I asked and was told yes, it wouldn't be a problem.

Plan accordingly if needed…

Be advised there will not be oil change facilities provided by the MOA at the rally this year. Disposal of the waste oil has become problematic and expensive which has resulted in the discontinuation of this service at the rally.

The above statement is recently communicated on the MOA Facebook offering by
THE Rally Logistics Officer (my provided title).

So it’s nice to have a few terrific and highly recommended
MOTORRAD dealers not so far away, for those in need of services.

Be advised there will not be oil change facilities provided by the MOA at the rally this year. Disposal of the waste oil has become problematic and expensive which has resulted in the discontinuation of this service at the rally.

The above statement is recently communicated on the MOA Facebook offering by
THE Rally Logistics Officer (my provided title).

So it’s nice to have a few terrific and highly recommended
MOTORRAD dealers not so far away, for those in need of services.

Wow …. Very sad to hear that news. I have used the oil change at a few rallies when I was traveling long distances. I have also volunteered at the oil change a few times. But I guess it’s not surprising .

Wow …. Very sad to hear that news. I have used the oil change at a few rallies when I was traveling long distances. I have also volunteered at the oil change a few times. But I guess it’s not surprising .

I wonder if it’s a regional thing. Up here in the land of long winters garages and shops of various types gladly accept used motor oil to use in their waste oil heaters. It keeps their shop toasty warm all winter for free

I wonder if it’s a regional thing. Up here in the land of long winters garages and shops of various types gladly accept used motor oil to use in their waste oil heaters. It keeps their shop toasty warm all winter for free
Same thing happened in Springfield I believe.

Pretty sure that once the used oil is out of the bike and moved (transported) by a third party, the Extra Paper Association gets weird about it.
As things evolve (mutate) retailers, especially those that rent/lease their retail location, are restricted from allowing customers to do service work on the retail location.

OM

Back when I used Castrol GTX dino oil I would change our oil at 3,000 to 4,000 miles on trips at small privately owned car repair shops and a few times at Quik Lube places.
I wonder if that's still a option?
Shop owners or managers were always helpful, letting me use a pan and usually gave me rags or gloves.
If it was a slow day they would hang around and visit while I changed the oil.
If they had it, I would buy the oil from them.

Marty’s detailing. He will be there outside next to ROK Straps. Not sure if the price.’x but I would guess $100 depending on the level of detail.

I've been to other rallies where there's a guy washing bikes. I got the impression that he's detailing peoples bikes for money. Anyone know about that? How much does he charge, etc?

Wash your bike before you come. Wash it when you get back home. Save $100.

Doug

Back