• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Announcing BMW MOA 2021 Grand Coddiwomple!

Well I AM an occasional FB checker so was able to see the drawing and happy to say one of my local Charlotte, NC riding buddies, Randy Shields, was a winner !! Very cool !!

Congrats to Randy and thanks to all who made this event happen.

Looks like it is working now…..with this caveat-

View attachment 86540

Sounds ugly. Going to pass on viewing.

OM

Kurt and I have been looking at this....from a few different angles. It would seem that Windoze OS's will not pick up on this. Apple with the Safari browser with the advanced "tracking blocker" will.
As we all know, the sites visited like to track the computer, mainly for advertising pop-ups. Of course one of the most invasive is Google but skipping by that search engine is rather cumbersome.
Good luck and stay computer safe.
OM

Kurt and I have been looking at this....from a few different angles. It would seem that Windoze OS's will not pick up on this. Apple with the Safari browser with the advanced "tracking blocker" will.
As we all know, the sites visited like to track the computer, mainly for advertising pop-ups. Of course one of the most invasive is Google but skipping by that search engine is rather cumbersome.
Good luck and stay computer safe.
OM

All modern browsers have some very advanced security tools, especially for managing trackers, as do Internet security suites like Norton 360, etc. A little digging in "Settings" should let you manage trackers and other security settings. Here is part of that area in Microsoft Edge:

Attachments

• Edge Tracking Settings.png
    Edge Tracking Settings.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 86
All modern browsers have some very advanced security tools, especially for managing trackers, as do Internet security suites like Norton 360, etc. A little digging in "Settings" should let you manage trackers and other security settings. Here is part of that area in Microsoft Edge:

“Blocks trackers from sites you haven’t visited”.

Part of what you have shown is what was investigated. I guess the “high point” of this alerts FB users, and those who don’t, know what FB is trying to do- and why.

Hope for the best.

OM

If I follow Greg's lead and go to the strict setting on my IE browser, the video that is in Ted's link to the drawing is completely blocked...I can't even play it. That seems a little bit restrictive and I would imagine it would water down the internet experience a bit!

Now what was this thread about? :scratch

Member services. :whistle

OM

There are really very few platforms which do not track your activity. However, most, if not all, now allow you to manage your tracking preferences, and one option is to turn of advertising marketing. Do they follow that? I have no idea. :brow

There are really very few platforms which do not track your activity. However, most, if not all, now allow you to manage your tracking preferences, and one option is to turn of advertising marketing. Do they follow that? I have no idea. :brow

I get it…..was hoping to point out that members may not be receiving club information.

I’m an advocate for pertinent club information being posted on the forum and then to other media outlets. After all, the members have a vested interest in the forum via their commitment of paying their dues.

OM

I get it…..was hoping to point out that members may not be receiving club information.

I’m an advocate for pertinent club information being posted on the forum and then to other media outlets. After all, the members have a vested interest in the forum via their commitment of paying their dues.

OM

I totally agree. Since this Forum has the only "members only" platform, all relevant news our announcements should be posted here. :thumb

Being a FB outsider, I musta missed the Nat'l Squirrel Appreciation Day drawing...

But I still appreciate the opportunity to participate in CoddiWomple Quest versions '21 and '22... :brow
I will be keeping eyes out for Punxsutawney Phil to pop out of his Interweb burrow on Feb 2d.

Thanx again to Greg & his many volunteers for their efforts to collect, analyze, and score so many intriguing pictures!
Ciao! HSV-Phil and HSV-Karen

Thanx again to Greg & his many volunteers for their efforts to collect, analyze, and score so many intriguing pictures!

Where are these pics? Was there a coddywompus hashtag? (I thought is was #Grandcoddiwomple, but only two pics showed up). I tried to find on FB and IG but could not.

oh, looks like #grandcoddiwomple2021 generates a few more results, especially on IG, a few TW stragglers. Who knew!

Last edited:
Where are these pics? Was there a coddywompus hashtag? (I thought is was #Grandcoddiwomple, but only two pics showed up). I tried to find on FB and IG but could not.

oh, looks like #grandcoddiwomple2021 generates a few more results, especially on IG, a few TW stragglers. Who knew!

Ian, again you are painting castles in the sky while in reality we are walking barefoot in the mud. :laugh. Seriously, speaking on behalf of the very small team (3~5 core members) who conceived of, developed, and then ran and scored the 2021 Coddiwomple, we would have liked nothing more than to have had all the coordinated promotion you describe! That's how things should be done to reach the biggest audience of members and close followers of the MOA. Even without that level of promotion, we had a small number of people join the MOA just to participate in the Coddiwomple.

The reality is that this was a shoestring operation with a very small budget, sufficient only to pay for the basic levels of the platform software, printing of flags, Rules, mailing costs, pins, etc. We had no idea how popular this would be - 2021 was a pure proof-of-concept. And, if we will all remember that in February of 2021 when this was opened up there were a lot of much bigger things occupying the minds of the club and it's members. Could and would people get vaccinated? Would we be able to have the Great Falls Rally? And so on. We were lucky to get through all of the issues we had with the software, people's problems posting to photo sharing sites, Google changing their photo sharing platform last summer, some of our core people getting COVID and all other kinds of fun. So, the plans we did have to capture photos and stories for just the uses you mention didn't happen, yet. We are also contacting some of the high mileage participants about writing about their experiences. One such person kept a GPS track of his over 15,000 miles Coddiwompling and it is just amazing to see where all he wandered purposely!

But, now, we have data - the first time out on anything new always has a steep learning curve - and are going into year two with some improvements in the process. Registration for the 2022 Grand Coddiwomple will open on Ground Hog Day - Feb. 2nd!

Nothing wrong with starting off slow with the basics. It seems like a popular concept and likely to increase in participation. The local club is trying to run their own CW.
For the most part, 18 pages of interest in the CW here on the forum.
Good luck on the ‘22 CW.
OM

How about that, you can link images hashtagged #grandcodiwomple2021 into a forum post.

EyKXQPBWEAERaSS

Thanks

Thanks to all who made the First Grand Coddiwomple so much fun!
I know it took a fair amount work for the volunteers even for a low level qualifier ( I finished tied for next to last with 350 points )
And much to my surprise I won one of the prizes
4871E0F4-F30D-45AE-ACDE-FF130C9B5814.jpg
My wife might be very unhappy with the prize I won because I really should buy a new bike that is worth stealing so the prize can be properly used. I think until I get that new bike I will attach the lock to a beer cooler at the next rally I attend
Thanks again to all who made this such a great event
David Crawford

Thanks to all who made the First Grand Coddiwomple so much fun!
I know it took a fair amount work for the volunteers even for a low level qualifier ( I finished tied for next to last with 350 points )
And much to my surprise I won one of the prizes
View attachment 86649
My wife might be very unhappy with the prize I won because I really should buy a new bike that is worth stealing so the prize can be properly used. I think until I get that new bike I will attach the lock to a beer cooler at the next rally I attend
Thanks again to all who made this such a great event
David Crawford

Thanks for the gracious post. :thumb
Always nice to hear an outcome.
OM

We are also contacting some of the high mileage participants about writing about their experiences. One such person kept a GPS track of his over 15,000 miles Coddiwompling and it is just amazing to see where all he wandered purposely!

Hint: The vast majority of members apparently don't care about high mileage heroes any more than most riders give a crap about quarter mile times for bikes anymore. Mileage survey results ought to show that sentiment given the utter lack of participation across that vast, vast majority of members. Is it even 5%?

It's nice and all, but mileage != to motorcycling fulfillment anymore than a smorgasbord or Golden Corral is indicative, by their quantity, of a tasty meal.

I look at all the folks I work with in their 30s and 40s - our target demographic if we want this club to survive - and they just don't have time to ride significant distances or spend a week riding to a rally given current employment reality. The MOA, right now, has little to offer someone that doesn't pursue big miles or doesn't want to go sit in a fairgrounds once a year with a bunch of old farts listening their parents' old fogey music. The weekend getaways are great, but that's an idea from back when I was on the board in 2010. What's the next item that will bring members onboard? Is there one?

Is this even under discussion at the board level? It's hard for me to tell, as a member. Right now, it feels like when it comes to member benefits, we have weekend getaways, the rally, a magazine, and a raffle and that's about it. I'm not counting IG or FB because it's not apparent to me that we actually use that to recruit or that those outlets have actually realized member attraction and growth. Coddywhatever is a nice idea - in a time when there's not a pandemic, anyway - but what else does the club offer? Local route sharing? Local tech days? Local group rides? Any of this coordinated with local clubs might help drive membership in both.

how long until some snarly mod comes along and quotes me "for posterity?" :ha

The club is stuck again and doesn't know what to offer its members in exchange for their membership dollar. It feels like we have some folks that haven't worked in a decade or two trying to understand the reality of folks 30 years their junior, with predictable results.

IMHO, now that I've participated in two car clubs that have chapters, I think it's a far better structure. The national organization provides dollars to the chapters, along with portions of membership funds so that all clubs can put events on. My Porsche Club of America chapter, Redwood Region, runs concours events, runs a TSD rally school, teaches car judging, runs autocross and track events, runs "tours" that are like rallies, runs "drives" that are a one day event, etc. There are endless opportunities for me to socialize with my fellow enthusiasts in a bunch of different ways.

Where is the BMW motorcycle equivalent offered by the national club, that will encourage me to get on my motorcycle and meet new fellow enthusiasts? While I like the NorCal club, I'm all done camping. So what's my benefit from MOA membership here beyond a magazine and a rally that I'm probably not going to if I have to cross the plains again?

Anybody got any plans for changing that? Until we put "benefit" in people's hands in exchange for the membership money, this club will continue to shrink. What's the retention rate on new members now? I presume that's been analyzed. If people are churning, are we arranging interviews with non-renewals?

Sorry to derail your thread, Greg, but this strikes me as about as effective as all that money we spent on Camp Gears, thinking if we recruited teens, we might be able to get new members into their grandparents' club.

Back