• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

100 milers in Utah—mph, that is

The biggest problem here are left lane parkers. Lots of folks sit in the passing lane not passing and on highways with 2 lanes on each side, it can back things up a bit. I've heard some states will ticket for that, but not here.

In Texas many of the 4 lane sections are signed, "Left Lane For Passing Only". And they do issue tickets, to the tune of $134 including court costs.

For the most part

Remember, for the most part, politicians act at the request of the people they serve. So in some cases yes, speed limits are set not with engineering in mind but with the demand of the public who live or use the road. No, it is not a fair system and is as mentioned subject to stupid laws such as the mandated 55 limit years ago.

NY is one of the worst nanny states in the country however for speed limits, I think given the roads I ride on in the state they are fair and reasonable. I find no reason to exceed by more than 5 over. That is me, I sometimes wish the limits were higher but occasionally I find my self exiting a curve and am bearing down on the rear end of a manure spreader. Thankfully, I am not exceeding my riding abilities or the laws of physics as I have not become part of the manure wagon. I really can't say for sure what would happen if I had been going 5, 10, or 20 faster. Thank God, I will never find out. St.

Remember, for the most part, politicians act at the request of the people they serve.

Having worked for 30 plus years for City and County governments, if I actually told the truth about that statement I would be reported for being "political", and then reprimanded, scolded, and chastised. Therefore, I shall not do so. :nono

Having worked for 30 plus years for City and County governments, if I actually told the truth about that statement I would be reported for being "political", and then reprimanded, scolded, and chastised. Therefore, I shall not do so. :nono

Let's just say that this is a very good example of the dichotomy between theory and reality. :ha

Having just trailered a bike from UT to Houston, and trying to avoid interstates as much as possible, I can vouch for the fact that many Texas 4-lanes are posted “left lane for passing only.” But I can also vouch for the fact that speed limits don’t matter, as at +5 we were routinely smoked by a mix of European cars, soccer moms in vans and huge SUVs, and Jim-Bobs in giant lifted 4x4 trucks sporting “digger” tires and no mud flaps. Saw only two state troopers on the entire Texas leg of the trip; one at a truck crash scene and the other parked in the median on US287, presumably with a radar gun.

Best,
DeVern

AD8AB5ED-6EF7-4C9B-BB9B-D490D2302052.jpeg

The last few weeks, most DPS units are on roads near the border. I passed over twenty easily between Rocksprings and Alpine on mostly two lane backroads. We sure fund a LOT of Yukon’s! :whistle

Most of the replies in this thread have to do with the open roads in the western states.
Those roads are much different than the tree lined curvy roads of the North East.

Here's an example of a open western road. Fairly straight, good visibility and no trees or brush on the side to hide critters.

Picture 198.jpg

100 MPH? I routinely run 80 or 85 on the interstates and get passed by everything. Why one guy i know hit 100 MPH on the on ramp and hit 135 MPH by accident on a two lane passing 3 cars. I'm not saying who he was.

Just for variety. Canada between Toronto and Montreal. My wife and I went to Toronto to see the Rex Sox play (go figure???). On the way back to Vermont got on the trans canada. Crusing 75 or so, after being past several times a Porsche came by and offer himself as a rabbit. Picked up his tail, set the cruse control at just above 100 and followed him for over 50 miles till where we had to turn south. Little traffic, no stress...just swift.

I believe the design specs for US interstate is 100mph...likely Canada is similar.

I stick closely to the speed limit when riding in Canada. Their country their rules and I want to be a good guest. Dealing with the consequences of getting caught doing 160km/hour would be a nightmare and very expensive. In at least one province, getting caught going that fast would result in immediate impoundment of your bike. Regardless of the judicial outcome, it will take days to get the bike back, and at significant expense.

I stick closely to the speed limit when riding in Canada. Their country their rules and I want to be a good guest. Dealing with the consequences of getting caught doing 160km/hour would be a nightmare and very expensive. In at least one province, getting caught going that fast would result in immediate impoundment of your bike. Regardless of the judicial outcome, it will take days to get the bike back, and at significant expense.

Ditto, we were using a Goldwing as a rabbit and finally decided risk/reward wasn’t worth it. As we stopped
for fuel saw car being pulled onto a flatbed and a wailing twenty something girl pleading with LEO’s... store clerk filled us in on impoundment regularity on that particular road. H led a slower pace into Maine!

Ditto. Besides that, I’m usually too busy soaking up the scenery to chance any fast running.

At the Canadian BC start of a 3 Flags ride one year the group had a presentation from an RCMP officer who in personal life enthusiastically rode a Kawasaki ZZR1400. It was made clear that there was a small degree of “flow of traffic” tolerance but above that a flatbed wrecker could be in one’s future. Not much tolerance for standing on the pegs, either, as some areas count that under “stunting”—which is an immediate haul-away offense.

Best,
DeVern

Wow, I escaped coming back through the Yukon and BC averaging 65 [ which means I was hauling ass ] without so much as a stern look. I did notice that most of the leo's were huddled in towns/cities and once you were 20 miles out of them, there wasn't an leo to be seen until the next small town was encountered on the AlCan.

For clarity:

Travelling 50km/h over the posted limit in Ontario could get your vehicle impounded for 7 days. Not sure what the fine and impound charges are but they are significant.

Travelling 40km/h over the posted limit in BC could get your vehicle impounded for 7 days. Total charges for the flatbed ride, storage and fine will add up to over $1,000. Speed limits are not horrible - between 90 and 120 km/h on major highways. If you're doing 10-15km/h over the limit you're not likely to get pulled over.

The stunting law was brought in to address the morons doing stand-up wheelies on crowded highways. Per our Minister of Transport, if you stand up on your pegs to stretch your legs you won't get a ticket. And if you do, he wants to hear about it.

I once got caught doing 179km/h in an 80 zone (passed an unmarked police mini-van!). Got away with a $100 fine. Do your speeding outside of populated areas.

For clarity:

Travelling 50km/h over the posted limit in Ontario could get your vehicle impounded for 7 days. Not sure what the fine and impound charges are but they are significant.

Travelling 40km/h over the posted limit in BC could get your vehicle impounded for 7 days. Total charges for the flatbed ride, storage and fine will add up to over $1,000. Speed limits are not horrible - between 90 and 120 km/h on major highways. If you're doing 10-15km/h over the limit you're not likely to get pulled over.

The stunting law was brought in to address the morons doing stand-up wheelies on crowded highways. Per our Minister of Transport, if you stand up on your pegs to stretch your legs you won't get a ticket. And if you do, he wants to hear about it.

I once got caught doing 179km/h in an 80 zone (passed an unmarked police mini-van!). Got away with a $100 fine. Do your speeding outside of populated areas.

That was my observation as well for over 1K miles on the AlCan through BC and the Yukon territory

For clarity:

The 50 km over the limit in Ontario has a fine of $2,000, loss of your vehicle for fourteen days, plus impound fees, court fees and and six demerit points added to your license. Ontario does have a reciprocity treaty with other provinces and many states.

The penalty for stunt riding in Ontario (standing on pegs counts) is the same as going 50 over the posted limit.

As an aside, once when on a busy Toronto downtown street, I had an excruciating leg cramp with no place to pull over. :cry I stood on the pegs going up and down to stretch the affected leg. While this was occurring, I was expecting the vehicle directly ahead of me to turn on the flashing lights and sirens. Apparently the officer was not looking in his review mirror and eventually a side street appeared where I was able to get off and do a walkabout. :dance

The 50 km over the limit in Ontario has a fine of $2,000, loss of your vehicle for fourteen days, plus impound fees, court fees and and six demerit points added to your license. Ontario does have a reciprocity treaty with other provinces and many states.

Yeowch.....thanks for the added info.

Fortunately for me, BC does not have a reciprocity agreement with other provinces or states.

Most of the replies in this thread have to do with the open roads in the western states.
Those roads are much different than the tree lined curvy roads of the North East.

Here's an example of a open western road. Fairly straight, good visibility and no trees or brush on the side to hide critters.

View attachment 86172

TRUTH! I've seen that view many, many times. :D

Back