• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Just checking to see if there is any chance to reignite that idea of "posses along the way" .... sort of an idea where BMW riders might be staying enroute to Great Falls. I thought that was a GREAT idea but I know it kind of went sideways. (like the movie)

"The Posse Man"... Ian to the bat phone please.

There is a completed article sitting somewhere in the MOA cloud that has the final article, many photos and a complete listing of all the places that people could meet up on the way to the rally. Ideally this content could also appear on our web site, since it’s full of links to locations and maps.

Interestingly, I traveled out west this past June trailering :eek two motos behind my Sprinter, checked out a lot of these places, found several *exceptional* new ones along with some incredible roads. Updated the spreadsheet containing locations, waypoints, routes.... rode throughout the Teddy Roosevelt National Park, the Big Horn Mountains, Beartooth in both directions, Chief Joseph, a private 6am tour of Yellowstone, a lot of Montana, Hells Canyon, the Lolo Pass (twice), Custer, Nebraska... wore out two sets of moto tires!

Oh, and the spreadsheet is *updated!* the whole thing is ready to go. :deal

Shot a lot of riding video, cut a couple of hilarious spots that could go on social media (but I don’t want to pay the stock video and music fees, so they’re watermarked).

But nobody in the MOA PTB has asked about what was done for last year, and it looks like we are doing a Grand Tour concept instead.

So, I guess the Posse is dead.

Ian

Ps -> if anyone is interested in my spreadsheet, please PM me and I will e-mail you a copy. A couple of those excellent new places that were found will require early reservations.

Pps -> It was very cool to meet fellow member and forum buddy Rich out in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota...

i-TWwBmM8-X2.jpg

There is a completed article sitting somewhere in the MOA cloud that has the final article, many photos and a complete listing of all the places that people could meet up on the way to the rally. Ideally this content could also appear on our web site, since it’s full of links to locations and maps.

Interestingly, I traveled out west this past June trailering :eek two motos behind my Sprinter, checked out a lot of these places, found several *exceptional* new ones along with some incredible roads. Updated the spreadsheet containing locations, waypoints, routes.... rode throughout the Teddy Roosevelt National Park, the Big Horn Mountains, Beartooth in both directions, Chief Joseph, a private 6am tour of Yellowstone, a lot of Montana, Hells Canyon, the Lolo Pass (twice), Custer, Nebraska... wore out two sets of moto tires!

Oh, and the spreadsheet is *updated!* the whole thing is ready to go. :deal

Shot a lot of riding video, cut a couple of hilarious spots that could go on social media (but I don’t want to pay the stock video and music fees, so they’re watermarked).

But nobody in the MOA PTB has asked about what was done for last year, and it looks like we are doing a Grand Tour concept instead.

Ian

Ps -> if anyone is interested in my spreadsheet, please PM me and I will e-mail you a copy. A couple of those excellent new places that were found will require early reservations.

Pps -> It was very cool to meet fellow member and forum buddy Rich out in the middle of nowhere, North Dakota...

i-TWwBmM8-X2.jpg

WOW .. thanks! And almost ALL Of the locations you noted are on my route from Charlotte to Great Falls to Oregon Coast and back. My PM is on the way and hoping the meet up points pan out. Sad the posse thing is dead.

WOW .. thanks! And almost ALL Of the locations you noted are on my route from Charlotte to Great Falls to Oregon Coast and back. My PM is on the way and hoping the meet up points pan out. Sad the posse thing is dead.

Btw, I checked out the Spearfish Lodge that you told us about. Very nice place.

One bummer is that about a week before I got there a tornado went through Spearfish Canyon and really tore up a bunch of trees and houses. I am sure they’re well on the way to recovery now.

Btw, I checked out the Spearfish Lodge that you told us about. Very nice place.

One bummer is that about a week before I got there a tornado went through Spearfish Canyon and really tore up a bunch of trees and houses. I am sure they’re well on the way to recovery now.

WOW ... that is a shame as that ride on 14 is great. My plan for 2021 will certainly include one (or 2) nights at Spearfish Canyon Lodge.

Thanks again!

[SNIP]...But nobody in the MOA PTB has asked about what was done for last year, and it looks like we are doing a Grand Tour concept instead.

Ian

First, given that Ted's "going ahead" message yesterday is the first the membership has heard this year about the potential of holding the Great Falls rally, I think its a bit premature to interpret the lack of concurrent "official" interest in the Posse project as a rejection.

To be clear, the Grand Coddiwomple was a member-level driven effort - just like your Posse effort, Ian. The difference is that the Coddiwomple team approached the so-called "PTB" to get support, which we did, conditioned on presenting a put together and affordable plan. From what I know of it, the Posse effort was/is confined only to the Forum members. If it were me, I would approach the MOA management about taking the Posse concept & project forward, with the potential to seed a ride database of some type for future development. I'll bet you would capture some ears. :brow

First, given that Ted's "going ahead" message yesterday is the first the membership has heard this year about the potential of holding the Great Falls rally, I think its a bit premature to interpret the lack of concurrent "official" interest in the Posse project as a rejection.

To be clear, the Grand Coddiwomple was a member-level driven effort - just like your Posse effort, Ian. The difference is that the Coddiwomple team approached the so-called "PTB" to get support, which we did, conditioned on presenting a put together and affordable plan. From what I know of it, the Posse effort was/is confined only to the Forum members. If it were me, I would approach the MOA management about taking the Posse concept & project forward, with the potential to seed a ride database of some type for future development. I'll bet you would capture some ears. :brow

WOW .. what a great thought.

And if you (Ian) need any support my hand is raised.

:wave

If it were me, I would approach the MOA management about taking the Posse concept & project forward, with the potential to seed a ride database of some type for future development. I'll bet you would capture some ears. :brow

The idea (and the initial work) is in the can. The data is in a spreadsheet and it got updated over the past year. If anyone wants it, they can ask for a copy. This is a pattern that can be followed and built out.... or not.

The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their back! :ha

The idea (and the initial work) is in the can. The data is in a spreadsheet and it got updated over the past year. If anyone wants it, they can ask for a copy. This is a pattern that can be followed and built out.... or not.

The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their back! :ha

Maybe, but the early bird gets the worm. :brow

It would be great if someone wanted to pick this up and run with it.

From a long and proud history of early-birdism, take my word: worms taste like sh*t!

The result would be added value that helps justify membership in the MOA.

Absolutely, but if the current membership really wants to see this club be around in another five, ten, or twenty years, they are going to need to step up to drive initiatives like list. We have a very small and over-committed professional staff, and nine Board Directors who should spending their time on strategic planning. That small group of Board and staff can't make our club grow on their own as much as they want to. Any such expectations are incorrect. It will take initiative from the membership to propose new projects and/or volunteer to help with projects started by others, either other members or from the Board and staff. The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is today.

Absolutely, but if the current membership really wants to see this club be around in another five, ten, or twenty years, they are going to need to step up to drive initiatives like list. We have a very small and over-committed professional staff, and nine Board Directors who should spending their time on strategic planning. That small group of Board and staff can't make our club grow on their own as much as they want to. Any such expectations are incorrect. It will take initiative from the membership to propose new projects and/or volunteer to help with projects started by others, either other members or from the Board and staff. The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is today.

As I’ve noted before I think this is a great idea. Was wondering if it could be somewhat informal where for instance we create a new thread where folks could post what nights they plan to be is a specific town? Once started folks might modify their plans slightly to be in the same town? Or maybe post a place like Spearfish Canyon Lodge where folks might stay on a span of 3 or 4 nights?

Maybe I’m being to simplistic but not sure it needs to be any more formal than that.

I’m happy to assist in any way I can.

Back