• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

Shot's in the arm, You in the seat... a Ride to Montana, can't be beat!

I reckon there's a few of you like myself, eager for a substantial trip beginning of this summer.
I'm about 120 days until departure ride for the Montana National. It's just four months until June... and February seems to fly by.
Thinking of mostly riding the 3 weeks before the Rally (Tuesday until Sunday for me) and 1 week after, for at least a month long journey.
Hoping to enjoy a few days in/around Yellowstone before the larger crowds arrive later in June/July. And significant riding throughout the entire multi-state region.

Without the pandemic and the CN/US Border nearby, Great Falls would have been an exceptional "destination" for our Club.
With very good attendance and the resulting financial impact.
I don't rule out, at a reduced level this "could" still be possible; but the time clock is running.
One thing likely true; our membership (collectively) should be inoculated by end of May.
Plus many of us have time to travel, and will ride somewhere anyway.
Would a 4 or 6 week postponement of the Rally date really help our situation? Somewhat IMO.
Enough to justify when everything logistically is considered? There's the real question.

Saddle up!

I reckon there's a few of you like myself, eager for a substantial trip beginning of this summer.
I'm about 120 days until departure ride for the Montana National. It's just four months until June... and February seems to fly by.
Thinking of mostly riding the 3 weeks before the Rally (Tuesday until Sunday for me) and 1 week after, for at least a month long journey.
Hoping to enjoy a few days in/around Yellowstone before the larger crowds arrive later in June/July. And significant riding throughout the entire multi-state region.

Without the pandemic and the CN/US Border nearby, Great Falls would have been an exceptional "destination" for our Club.
With very good attendance and the resulting financial impact.
I don't rule out, at a reduced level this "could" still be possible; but the time clock is running.
One thing likely true; our membership (collectively) should be inoculated by end of May.
Plus many of us have time to travel, and will ride somewhere anyway.
Would a 4 or 6 week postponement of the Rally date really help our situation? Somewhat IMO.
Enough to justify when everything logistically is considered? There's the real question.

Saddle up!

I have a very similar plan .... riding from Charlotte to Great Falls ... starting about 2 weeks before the Rally and then on to Portland OR and home. So planning about 4 weeks all in. Hoping to hit some POI's along the way and the Iron Butt National Park Challenge too. But honestly even if (and I hope not) COVID impact the 2021 Rally I will still probably take this trip.

Word of caution on Yellowstone and Grand Teton areas ... even in June they will be more populated than I suspect you'd like. And with the pent up demand this year I bet they are even more packed. All the lodging in the park is already pretty much booked. We have reservation later in the year around Labor Day at Jackson Lake Lodge but had to make them 3 months ago. If you can camping then it is probably much easier to find a spot.

Word of caution on Yellowstone and Grand Teton areas ... even in June they will be more populated than I suspect you'd like. .

I bet all the National Parks will be very busy.
We visited Dinosaur NP (Utah) and Great Sand Dunes NP (Colorado) this last September and both were very busy. These are not well known parks and we expected small crowds.
We visited both places during June in the 80s and pretty much had both parks to our-self.

I think Yellowstone's attendance was up last year. We were there three times and it was certainly busy even during the shoulder seasons when we go there. We will do our annual April ride through if the weather permits. Normally very quiet that time of year.

I think Yellowstone's attendance was up last year. We were there three times and it was certainly busy even during the shoulder seasons when we go there. We will do our annual April ride through if the weather permits. Normally very quiet that time of year.

My wife and I go every year during the shoulder seasons ... usually right after Labor Day. For years it was pretty nice and not too crowded. However, in recent years (2020 excluded for COVID Reasons) the shoulder seasons have been more and more busy due to a lot or tour companies running trips in those "slower" seasons. Most seem to be Asian tours but I am sure there are others as well.

Getting to be that the popular NP's are just getting too popular. We loved Teddy Roosevelt NP in North Dakota but my wife's favorite place on the face of the earth is Grand Teton so we usually make at least one trip there each year.

I bet all the National Parks will be very busy.
We visited Dinosaur NP (Utah) and Great Sand Dunes NP (Colorado) this last September and both were very busy. These are not well known parks and we expected small crowds.
We visited both places during June in the 80s and pretty much had both parks to our-self.

U.S. population in 1980 was about 226.5 million, just over 331 million in 2020.

Great New's...

Your's, and other's comments boast well for very reduced Yellowstone attendance during 2021.
Especially between June 7 through 9, when I want to be there, for example.
It's simple human behavior, because of Covid. So many folks tried to distance themselves from others last summer that they all showed up in the same place!
This year, they are telling everyone how busy it was and they'll never go back, plus those they tell... wont go either.
Along with a non-Covid return to normalcy by June onward (school, school sports, brewpubs, ect.)... the place is all ours!

Don't tell anybody of my savvy foresight.

Your's, and other's comments boast well for very reduced Yellowstone attendance during 2021.
It's simple human behavior, because of Covid. So many folks tried to distance themselves from others last summer that they all showed up in the same place!
This year, they are telling everyone how busy it was and they'll never go back, plus those they tell... wont go either.
Along with a non-Covid return to normalcy by June onward (school, school sports, brewpubs, ect.)... the place is all ours!

I’m thinking just the opposite. With vaccines going strong and pent up demand from COVID in general I suspect the parks, especially the popular ones will be slammed this year. The only thing that may help the crowds would be international travelers. But they did not impact the parks in 2020 and that was a year when NONE of the Yellowstone/Grand Teton lodges opened. Very early June may be tolerable especially if there is still snow around.

Be sure to share your prediction with the 10,000 other people at Old Faithful while there in June. There are normally around 20-40 there in late April when we ride down there.

Be sure to share your prediction with the 10,000 other people at Old Faithful while there in June. There are normally around 20-40 there in late April when we ride down there.

10,000??? Really?? I guess the crowds will be down! :lol:ha

I'm not staying all June to find out, but any crowd like that isn't Lodging over at the Lake Hotel during June.
As of this hour during Super Bowl Sunday, there is only ONE night NOT Available... in all of June 2021!
And I've found multiple other offerings available June 7th-10th in the Park.
The disruptions of this pandemic, it's economic effect and human behavior... seem to offer unusual conditions where travel is concerned.

I'm not staying all June to find out, but any crowd like that isn't Lodging over at the Lake Hotel during June.
As of this hour during Super Bowl Sunday, there is only ONE night NOT Available... in all of June 2021!
And I've found multiple other offerings available June 7th-10th in the Park.
The disruptions of this pandemic, it's economic effect and human behavior... seem to offer unusual conditions where travel is concerned.

The availability in Yellowstone for that time in June is pretty normal. There are scattered rooms available and a lot are the higher price (north of $450 a night) or the less desirable rooms. But it is still the early season and there can be snow on a lot of the hiking trails. I would book soon or they will all be sold out. I would not let the COVID pandemic lead you to believe there will be less traffic in the NP's.

Our National Rally... "the wheels are turning" Monday 2/8/2021 e-mail:

Good Morning!

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but outside my window, the skies are blue, the sun is shining and the roads are dry!
It's the kind of day that makes you think about riding motorcycles and planning for summer rallies!
And, since you are registered for the BMW MOA National Rally in Great Falls, Montana, I'm guessing you are thinking about riding and rallies, too!

Our 2021 Rally Chairs, Corey & Becky Smith, along with a dedicated team of volunteers, are hard at work finalizing plans for our annual get together in Great Falls.
They just signed the music contracts, booked all the entertainment, and finalized the schedule. Soon, they'll be ordering beer and organizing food vendors.
And, we have over 50 exhibitors registered as of today!

The Montana Expo Park is providing the MOA with guidelines to meet local COVID precautions at their facility and how to operate a safe and healthy rally this summer. Meeting that objective will require some concessions from all of us, including social distancing, wearing masks inside buildings, and hand sanitizing, but we are confident that facility regulations will allow the National Rally to proceed as planned. We also expect to see you there!

Rally registration is open and although you already registered, let your friends know they can register, too!
Volunteer registration is also open and we could use your help.
Pick your favorite volunteer position and register online at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044baaa82ea2fe3-2020

And, here is another reason to make plans for Great Falls!
MOA members Greg Feeler and Brian Burdette have created the Grand Coddiwomple for the Saddle Up & Ride rally - it's a scavenger hunt-style reason to ride and free to MOA members. You can learn more about the Grand Coddiwomple, how to participate, and register at bmwmoa.org/coddiwomple

We'll have more details about how we can socialize at the Rally as the facility provides guidance.
Stay tuned to the National Rally webpage at rally.bmwmoa.org for rally updates and announcements about our plans in Great Falls.

We're excited to Saddle Up & Ride to Montana and we hope you are too!

Ted Moyer
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

... Thanks Ted for the communication. Great to be updated on the important progress.
You can bet we'll be there; and with our "shots in the arm"... THIS ride to Great Falls will be very appreciated!

Hate to mention this but .....

Just checking to see if there is any chance to reignite that idea of "posses along the way" .... sort of an idea where BMW riders might be staying enroute to Great Falls. I thought that was a GREAT idea but I know it kind of went sideways. (like the movie)

Good Morning!

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but outside my window, the skies are blue, the sun is shining and the roads are dry!.....

I got Ted's email as well. After reading his first line, despite having had nothing but positive interactions with Ted and finding him helpful and proactive on every occasion, I just added his name to my book.....

IMG_3169.jpg

I got Ted's email as well. After reading his first line, despite having had nothing but positive interactions with Ted and finding him helpful and proactive on every occasion, I just added his name to my book.....

IMG_3169.jpg

I purposely left out the statement that it is 65 today. ;)

I purposely left out the statement that it is 65 today. ;)

Yeah, Kevin, and it's over 50 in Boise with clear skies. :dance Went for a nice ride yesterday to test out my new helmet and it was great. Best luck to you in seeing Spring in the next couple of months. :hide

Good Morning!

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but outside my window, the skies are blue, the sun is shining and the roads are dry!
It's the kind of day that makes you think about riding motorcycles and planning for summer rallies!
And, since you are registered for the BMW MOA National Rally in Great Falls, Montana, I'm guessing you are thinking about riding and rallies, too!

Our 2021 Rally Chairs, Corey & Becky Smith, along with a dedicated team of volunteers, are hard at work finalizing plans for our annual get together in Great Falls.
They just signed the music contracts, booked all the entertainment, and finalized the schedule. Soon, they'll be ordering beer and organizing food vendors.
And, we have over 50 exhibitors registered as of today!

The Montana Expo Park is providing the MOA with guidelines to meet local COVID precautions at their facility and how to operate a safe and healthy rally this summer. Meeting that objective will require some concessions from all of us, including social distancing, wearing masks inside buildings, and hand sanitizing, but we are confident that facility regulations will allow the National Rally to proceed as planned. We also expect to see you there!

Rally registration is open and although you already registered, let your friends know they can register, too!
Volunteer registration is also open and we could use your help.
Pick your favorite volunteer position and register online at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044baaa82ea2fe3-2020

And, here is another reason to make plans for Great Falls!
MOA members Greg Feeler and Brian Burdette have created the Grand Coddiwomple for the Saddle Up & Ride rally - it's a scavenger hunt-style reason to ride and free to MOA members. You can learn more about the Grand Coddiwomple, how to participate, and register at bmwmoa.org/coddiwomple

We'll have more details about how we can socialize at the Rally as the facility provides guidance.
Stay tuned to the National Rally webpage at rally.bmwmoa.org for rally updates and announcements about our plans in Great Falls.

We're excited to Saddle Up & Ride to Montana and we hope you are too!

Ted Moyer
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

... Thanks Ted for the communication. Great to be updated on the important progress.
You can bet we'll be there; and with our "shots in the arm"... THIS ride to Great Falls will be very appreciated!

Great news! For those interested in The Grand Coddiewomple here's a link to that topic on the Forum: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?99321-Announcing-BMW-MOA-2021-Grand-Coddiwomple!

Back