• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Guaranteed 100% fix for leaking Hayes Calipers on R1250RTs

wemi

see attached pictures with the guaranteed fix. No Leaks, no drips, no errors.
This is what my 2020 RT looks like now!!!;)
Works like a charm..

Attachments

• PXL_20201113_203506441.jpg
    PXL_20201113_203506441.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 381
  • PXL_20201113_203514344.jpg
    PXL_20201113_203514344.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 367
I was told that they might void the warranty with BMW because they didn't come standard. I think Brembos are the answer to the leaking Hayes issue and maybe they will be the next FIX.

Steve

The Brembo calipers look spiffy. It would be nice to know exactly how they got there.
1. Did the dealer or BMW provide them?
2. Did the owner buy them? If so what was the cost?
3. Are they a direct replacement or were modifications of anything required.
4. Do they work correctly with the ABS?
5. Etc. ?

I was told that they might void the warranty with BMW because they didn't come standard. I think Brembos are the answer to the leaking Hayes issue and maybe they will be the next FIX.

Steve

Sourced from BMW and installed by BMW dealer. Has no effect on warranty

Last edited:
Did BMW replace those, or was that done by you?

Does the ABS perform correctly with those?

Thanks.

BMW dealer replaced those at my expense. ABS etc. performs correctly after ECU Pressure modulator set correctly as part of the installation.

Calipers and pads alone from a R1200 cost $1,580.

Correct.
complete job including an additional $300 for installation kits (pins, clips, springs, etc), all new hardware bolts, bleeders, and $220 for labor of assembly and installation and software (Press. modulator) update and complete brake fluid flush was around $ 2000+

Last edited:
The Brembo website (http://moto.brembo.com/en) has a configurator, but it won't let the user select calipers for most recent BMW bikes front brake applications. It will allow selection of pads and discs.

Brembo does not sell BMW calipers to private individuals anymore. Just pads and rotors. These were sourced by the BMW dealer from BMW directly. One came from Germany.

The Brembo calipers look spiffy. It would be nice to know exactly how they got there.
1. Did the dealer or BMW provide them?
2. Did the owner buy them? If so what was the cost?
3. Are they a direct replacement or were modifications of anything required.
4. Do they work correctly with the ABS?
5. Etc. ?

Supplied by BMW to the BMW dealer as a customer purchase (me), like any other parts. I purchased the entire hardware system (calipers, pads, install kits, new bolts and bleeders, etc. for $1850.00 plus 220 for assembly and installation by the BMW dealer. No mods required. Everything bolts together. ABS works fine. Requires reset of ECU pressure modulator. All done as part of the labor charge.
None of this has any effect on the warranty as it was done by the original selling dealer in Burbank, CA. Mastertech Shelby. Total time including tire replacement to Road5 GTs around 4 hours. Tire cost and mounting NOT included in above pricing.

Supplied by BMW to the BMW dealer as a customer purchase (me), like any other parts. I purchased the entire hardware system (calipers, pads, install kits, new bolts and bleeders, etc. for $1850.00 plus 220 for assembly and installation by the BMW dealer. No mods required. Everything bolts together. ABS works fine. Requires reset of ECU pressure modulator. All done as part of the labor charge.
None of this has any effect on the warranty as it was done by the original selling dealer in Burbank, CA. Mastertech Shelby. Total time including tire replacement to Road5 GTs around 4 hours. Tire cost and mounting NOT included in above pricing.

Thanks for the information.

Correct.
complete job including an additional $300 for installation kits (pins, clips, springs, etc), all new hardware bolts, bleeders, and $220 for labor of assembly and installation and software (Press. modulator) update and complete brake fluid flush was around $ 2000+

That unfortunately sounds proportional to what I had to pay to make a Suzuki DR650 rideable.....after sitting at a dealer for 2 months.
I’m at the point where if I want to make a change in a machine, the jump concerns me.
Good luck with the repair.
OM

Correct.

Hopefully BMW will reimburse you the $2,000+ if this turns out to be the long awaited fix, good luck.

Steve

Hopefully BMW will reimburse you the $2,000+ if this turns out to be the long awaited fix, good luck.

Steve

Ha Ha Ha!!:brow

After owning and selling two K1600s due to various inconsistencies and endless battles with BMW corporate I sincerely doubt it. I chalk it up to cost of ownership.
On Goldwings you get to replace shiftforks at around 4K a piece as you have to take out and take apart the engine....
So the sage goes on. MY BMW brake problem is solved. I don't care what BMW does or not, or whatever they want to do with their cheesy warranty...

Every machine has recalls and systemic problems of one kind or another since most of them are designed by accountants with some advise from engineers.

wemi, thanks for the reply.

I should have asked this in my first inquiry about your fix, but did you have the leaking (weeping) calipers to begin with? During my 12k service at the dealer, they did the inspection on the calipers with "no issues found." I have about 17,xxx miles on it and keep checking for signs of weeping. So far.....so good.

I bought my '19 model in Jan, 2019, for what it is worth.

Congrats on getting it sorted.

The great online auction site has a couple brand new calipers for $500, and a few used sets for $300'ish.

Back