• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

THE 2021 Montana MOA Re-Schedule (previous 2020 Great Falls Thread)

I had an 82 RS when we were assigned to Ft Ord. We lived in a very small place in Pacific Grove. Housing was (is) outrageously expensive, so we had a 550 sq/ft dump with on-street parking. I parked the bike in the living room most nights. Annie didn't ride back then, but she didn't object either.

I've got to admit to having a pretty good situation with my wife. We each earn our own incomes and each pay for our own stuff, sharing the common daily and monthly expenses. That means we never worry what the other chooses to spend on. She owns her own bike and looks after all the costs of it as do I my two (I do save her a lot of expense by doing the maintenance for no charge :nod) This arrangement has served us well for 25 years of marriage. :love

HA! I consider myself a VERY lucky guy as while my wife does not ride (she does have a endorsement) and only takes short rides as passenger she totally encourages me to enjoy my passion. In 2017 when a last minute cancel by a buddy to go to Salt Lake with me I was faced with not going at all or going alone. My wife said "you gotta go, you will have a great time". I did and I did! I have to laugh when folks say to me "your wife lets you have 2 motorcycles" or "your wife lets you be away for 25 or 30 days". I tell them well she really does not "let" me but encourages me. And having recently retired it has only gotten better. :clap

I didn't intend to be at-home for the start of year #2 of retirement #1, but COVID-19 had other plans. Last year I was busy, at least part-time as a safety instructor and my wife liked that amount of separation, but the world has changed. As long as I go somewhere with no interaction with other people, she's happy. But, that isn't easy to do.........

I didn't intend to be at-home for the start of year #2 of retirement #1, but COVID-19 had other plans. Last year I was busy, at least part-time as a safety instructor and my wife liked that amount of separation, but the world has changed. As long as I go somewhere with no interaction with other people, she's happy. But, that isn't easy to do.........

Go to an adult toy store. Everyone will go way out their way to avoid you and no one will even look in your direction..... or so I am told.

HA! I consider myself a VERY lucky guy as while my wife does not ride (she does have a endorsement) and only takes short rides as passenger she totally encourages me to enjoy my passion. In 2017 when a last minute cancel by a buddy to go to Salt Lake with me I was faced with not going at all or going alone. My wife said "you gotta go, you will have a great time". I did and I did! I have to laugh when folks say to me "your wife lets you have 2 motorcycles" or "your wife lets you be away for 25 or 30 days". I tell them well she really does not "let" me but encourages me. And having recently retired it has only gotten better. :clap

Ed, you could be writing about my wife and my life. My wife also doesn't ride (much), she has her endorsement and has been through the MSF course (aced it!). She is always encouraging me to go out for a ride, either alone or with a riding buddy. Last year, before Covid-19, I managed some 45 days on the road. My favorite story, several years ago, right after I sold my Triumph Legend TT, I was grousing that, for the first time in over 30 years, I didn't own a Triumph. She said "we can fix that -- we're going right by the Triumph dealer (125 miles away) tomorrow. We'll stop and you can see if they have a new Triumph you'd like." We did, they did, and I rode it home that day. Did I mention that I've got a wife too keep (39 years and counting).

The wife and I are going to RV it with our toy hauler carrying the GS. It'll be a first for us, and then being retired we are going to hang out in western MT and parts of ID for a few weeks. I cannot wait! It will be my wife's very first national.

Rich; clarify what the "first" actually is. The RV trip, with bike?... or the Rally itself.
Regardless, you win!
Let's see, 1. wife going 2. RV with the GS and 3. Extended touring availability with an attached base camp.

The trifecta of BMW happiness!

Ed, you could be writing about my wife and my life. My wife also doesn't ride (much), she has her endorsement and has been through the MSF course (aced it!). She is always encouraging me to go out for a ride, either alone or with a riding buddy. Last year, before Covid-19, I managed some 45 days on the road. My favorite story, several years ago, right after I sold my Triumph Legend TT, I was grousing that, for the first time in over 30 years, I didn't own a Triumph. She said "we can fix that -- we're going right by the Triumph dealer (125 miles away) tomorrow. We'll stop and you can see if they have a new Triumph you'd like." We did, they did, and I rode it home that day. Did I mention that I've got a wife too keep (39 years and counting).

LOL ... very similar for sure! But at 45 days you have me beat. My longest trip to date has been about 28 days but that may very well change next year if Great Falls actually does happen! We are very lucky guys and as I tell people .... "my wife understands and tolerates me better than anyone else ever could" !

Oh ... and YOU are so close to Barber Museum too so another feather in your Motorcycle Cap !! :rocker

My wife used to ride with me locally, but has opted for her Mini Convertible now. She encourages my riding and travel, maybe because my Life Insurance is paid by allotment?
I'm looking forward to my first MOA Rally next June and another trip to the Dust to Dawson Non Rally assuming the schedules of the two events don't coincide. Later next summer my Aussie Mate and I plan on the Trans-Lab , the Maritime Provinces, and the North Eastern USA.

My wife used to ride with me locally, but has opted for her Mini Convertible now. She encourages my riding and travel, maybe because my Life Insurance is paid by allotment?
I'm looking forward to my first MOA Rally next June and another trip to the Dust to Dawson Non Rally assuming the schedules of the two events don't coincide. Later next summer my Aussie Mate and I plan on the Trans-Lab , the Maritime Provinces, and the North Eastern USA.

You certainly have some great riding ahead in 2021! I did the Maritime Provinces and Nova Scotia last year and it was great! I've also ridden a lot in the Northeast an lots of wonderful roads and destinations there as well. Enjoy and hope to see you in Great Falls! Wife and I are taking a road trip (4 wheels) next month to your neck of the woods ... Armour SD. Yeah ... booming town of about 634 !!

You certainly have some great riding ahead in 2021! I did the Maritime Provinces and Nova Scotia last year and it was great! I've also ridden a lot in the Northeast an lots of wonderful roads and destinations there as well. Enjoy and hope to see you in Great Falls! Wife and I are taking a road trip (4 wheels) next month to your neck of the woods ... Armour SD. Yeah ... booming town of about 634 !!

Armour is almost as far from me as you can get and still be in South Dakota LOL.

It will be hot and muggy, you will feel right at home coming from NC

LOL ... very similar for sure! But at 45 days you have me beat. My longest trip to date has been about 28 days but that may very well change next year if Great Falls actually does happen! We are very lucky guys and as I tell people .... "my wife understands and tolerates me better than anyone else ever could" !

Oh ... and YOU are so close to Barber Museum too so another feather in your Motorcycle Cap !! :rocker

Yep. I live 18 miles from Barber's Museum. I've been a volunteer for the museum since the old warehouse days -- 1996! Covid-19 has temporarily stopped the volunteer program in the museum, so I've been undergoing major withdrawals! I hope Covid releases it grip soon, so I can go "back to work", showing folks around the museum. Vintage Festival is possibly my favorite event/time of year. During that great event, I usually am assigned the "job" to be the host for the Grand Marshall. I've had the delightful opportunity to spend 3-4 days with the likes of Wes Cooley, Cook Nielson, Gene Romero, Dave Aldana, Eric Buell, and more! Great times, great place, for sure!

Come see us (the museum is open. Masks are required right now, as is "social distancing") If I'm there, we can do a "behind the scenes" tour!

Yep. I live 18 miles from Barber's Museum. I've been a volunteer for the museum since the old warehouse days -- 1996! Covid-19 has temporarily stopped the volunteer program in the museum, so I've been undergoing major withdrawals! I hope Covid releases it grip soon, so I can go "back to work", showing folks around the museum. Vintage Festival is possibly my favorite event/time of year. During that great event, I usually am assigned the "job" to be the host for the Grand Marshall. I've had the delightful opportunity to spend 3-4 days with the likes of Wes Cooley, Cook Nielson, Gene Romero, Dave Aldana, Eric Buell, and more! Great times, great place, for sure!

Come see us (the museum is open. Masks are required right now, as is "social distancing") If I'm there, we can do a "behind the scenes" tour!

I've been twice and we are planning to go again soon. One of my riding buddies has never been. Told him he has never seen anything like Barber!

Would love a behind the scenes tour for sure!! That would be amazing.

Armour is almost as far from me as you can get and still be in South Dakota LOL.

It will be hot and muggy, you will feel right at home coming from NC

We are hoping it cools down in early september as we are staying at a camp ground in a "cabin" :uhoh

Back