• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death rates, rates of infection, etc., need be compared mathematically to the populations of those times. Big difference between 160 million and 330 million. There was an election in 1968, however, it had not yet been determined that political hay could be harvested. We went downtown Chicago one night to see WTH was going on, left the next day. We were 21 and green right out school. Sheepskin in hand, certain only of how little knowledge actually resided in our craniums. I understand now why they’re called sheepskins, from experience.

Every day we continue finding out something about this flu different from days before. All that we can do is follow what we know this far. I get food at 6AM when there are practically no others shoppers. In and out 15 minutes. Gloves, masked, wash when at home. We’re still self quarantined. Signing off. Take care. Appreciate all.

I've recently been seeing a lot talk about how the HVAC systems in houses and commercial buildings are the perfect system for evenly distributing the virus. After all, they are designed to create as even a temperature as possible, and many systems have fans running all the time even if the A/C or heat are not turned on. Conversely, the reports I've seen say that infection rates for unmasked people in close proximity outdoors is much less than indoors. Fortunately for me I've been trying to stay out of buildings since this all began.

There are home air filters which can trap a significant number of bacteria and viruses, and from my research they start with a MERV 13 rating (bigger number = smaller particle capture). However, "most" or "many" home systems are designed for up to only a MERV 12. Going to 13 and beyond will begin to reduce your air flow and create higher pressures internal to the HVAC system, which can potentially work a hardship on your fan system over time.

Note, that there are three different filter efficiency ratings: MERV (generally recognized industry rating), 3M's MPR scale, and then Home Deport has a proprietary system called FPR. Here are a couple of links with more detail and suggestions:

https://www.alencorp.com/blogs/articles/air-purifiers-and-coronavirus

https://www.secondnature.com/blog/staying-healthy/what-merv-rating-should-I-use

Filtering is one thing, but the current HVAC trend of having minimal external air exchange within small spaces.........like Mr. Glaves recent ductless system install..........might be trapping the virus within the small space. Perhaps, the old-style multi-room (i.e., whole building) might aid in dispersing (in terms of reducing the concentration) and, therefore, be safer. Just a thought.

I'm guessing the 4th is going to kick off a whole new wave. I thank my stars every day that I live on an island.

Laying at a beach, shoulder to shoulder, in the sun, smoking.....what could go wrong? :eek
OM

Super Spreader

Followed tonight (right now?) by another super spreader event in Washington, D.C.

I am trying to imagine what will happen after this years Sturgis rally, perhaps a severe outbreak from a 7,500 to 10,000 people event At Mt. Rushmore might save lives if it leads to cancellation of Sturgis events a month later.
Imagine endangering the lives of a few to save the lives of many, true Genius

Lets not turn this into I hate Republicans thread.
Hoping people will get sick and die is too much.

Don't be surprised if a number of recent posts disappear from this thread from where the first mention of politics came up.
The Mod Team.

I am trying to imagine what will happen after this years Sturgis rally, perhaps a severe outbreak from a 7,500 to 10,000 people event At Mt. Rushmore might save lives if it leads to cancellation of Sturgis events a month later.

It is for all practical purposes impossible to cancel the Sturgis Bike Week event. People who want to will just show up. There is no registration. If the town closed the bars there would be booze aplenty out in the county. If they outlawed booze sales in the county there is plenty of room in/on the trailers to haul coolers beside the bikes. A quick run to Deadwood or Rapid City would ensure resupply. The city could refuse to issue permits for vendors and they would just go out to the county. So the City won't do that because they need the sales tax to support the town the rest of the year. The campgrounds will stay open. The Governor will not impose any meaningful restrictions. So Sturgis will happen with or without governmental sanction or regulation. Rest assured there will be a crowd at Sturgis Bike Week. maybe not 300,000 but there will be a crowd. And then they will all go home to spread whatever joy they have encountered.

Last edited:
Imagine endangering the lives of a few to save the lives of many, true Genius

There are far too many examples of large numbers of people congregating with varying levels of mask usage and social distancing, for all kinds of reasons: parties, protests, conventions, etc. I read where a group of economists published a 60-page report that the Black Lives Matter protests in over 200 cities didn't create a spike in virus cases. Yet, Memorial Day is being blamed for the initial beginning of the current case surge. I have trouble reconciling those two things with each other, and with other "information" being reported. I do know that the science is indisputable that outside a certain distance - especially out doors - transfer of this infection drops to insignificance, and that's where I prefer to be.

Don't be surprised if a number of recent posts disappear from this thread from where the first mention of politics came up.
The Mod Team.

:thumb

I don't mind political posts but I draw the line when it turns hateful.

The Mod Team.

These days, the flavor of the beer one drinks could devolve into a contentious political debate. I don’t envy the moderators job of divining that which is political, and that which is not, when even the air we breath is tainted with political drivel... and droplets.

These days, the flavor of the beer one drinks could devolve into a contentious political debate. I don’t envy the moderators job of divining that which is political, and that which is not, when even the air we breath is tainted with political drivel... and droplets.

Well said, Reece.

The Mod Team.

While others might disagree I actually have not seen much that I would call politics. Talking about what differing restrictions are in place in different locations; what events are allowed or not allowed; what events are happening vs not happening; how well or not well people are following CDC and other health guidelines; these are not political per se. Now if I label a politician of a party as dim witted, or of the other party as truly enlightened that is political. I have to say that I commend the moderators for not coloring the thread with their own partisan views, and the membership for not blowing the thread up with vitriol.

Sunday morning, 5th of July

It's been hot and dry for several days here in my area, so the weekly mowing at the farm wasn't needed, but mower blade sharpening was long overdue. So, I collected all the old push mower blades and headed to the farm for all the fun of mower deck removal and install on a hot day. At about the 1/4 point (when you think you remember the proper sequence), the yellow flag guy from next door, pops his head in the barn door and asks if I'm going to mow? Not really thinking about, I say ........ "No". In response, the yellow flag guy says ......... "Great, the kids will get the fireworks wrappers and casings cleaned up from the yard before noon. By the way, we had folks from down the road and even up on the hill. They really enjoyed it. We bought all the stuff, but decided our yard was too small........" I excused myself from the conversation to return to my work.

Now, as the 4th generation owner of this small farm property, I've heard or seen the gamut of activities that locals can choose to do with your property. ........... That nice stand of timber on a 30-yr harvest cycle? It's an ideal place to 1) grow marijuana, 2) create an ATV racetrack, or 3) a controlled burn site to improve deer habit. While options 1 and 2 aren't desirable, option 3 defeats the whole plan for the timber stand. But, try telling that to a "hunter". Your greed is nothing compared to their compassion for the deer herd. But, don't worry, all of these options, your neighbors will exercise without your knowledge or permission. A cleared field? Why that's a baseball field, ATV race track, MX course or just someplace to park a broken down 18-wheeler. My little mind struggles to grasp the range of better uses the locals have had for the family property. Better yet, the empowerment that the locals feel to do these things.

Anyhow, as the mower deck removal progressed and I was doing my best imitation of someone using a bench grinder to sharpen mower blades, the fireworks cleanup crew departed. I shouted a polite, "Ma'am, May I speak to you" to adult women with the grade school children. I assumed it was the Mother, but discovered it was the mother of the yellow flag guy, the grandmother of the children. I spoke my peace. "My property isn't a neighbor park". The kids, like any of the locals, have had the privilege to hunt small game, walk in the woods and fish along the creek. She said she understood and would relay the message. Within an hour, or so, yellow flag guy was back, with a revised version of the story (throwing the wife under the responsibility bus, this time) and claiming a smaller cast of attendees. The typically "kid in the cookie jar", type thing.

With all that, I finally wrapped up the mower deck reinstall and cut a few stripes on the crispy brown grass. The mower was working fine and the spare set of blades were sharpened for the next change. As I drove home, I wondered what a "Don't Tread On Your Neighbor" flag would look like?

Last edited:
As I drove home, I wondered what a "Don't Thread On Your Neighbor" flag would look like?

We have a 600' private road that extends from the County Road up to our house. The previous owner had a garden business, so there were a lot of sight-seers. We finally had to put up No Trespassing signs to get them to stop driving on the property. Had an older lady get her car stuck down the hill behind our house because she was driving around everywhere looking for flowers. And acted like somehow we were in the wrong because the garden was no longer here.

Here in Texas, I would expect the flag to look something like this:

1.jpg

Last edited:
We have a 600' private road that extends from the County Road up to our house. The previous owner had a garden business, so there were a lot of sight-seers. We finally had to put up No Trespassing signs to get them to stop driving on the property. Had an older lady get her car stuck down the hill behind our house because she was driving around everywhere looking for flowers. And acted like somehow we were in the wrong because the garden was no longer here.

Here in Texas, I would expect the flag to look something like this:

View attachment 79394

If you've never been to Pennsylvania, you might not be aware that Deer Season is a religious holiday warranting at least one day of school vacation in most school districts. In the most rural counties, several days off from school are common. Accordingly, we have lots of guns. Besides that, one has his guns, his father's guns and possibly his grandfather's guns. That's a lot of guns and, unless, they've been left in the damp or a chambered for some currently unpopular cartridge, they work.

So, we all got guns, but a butt hole with a gun is still a butt hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back