• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general lack of common sense has a lot to do with the virus spreading again.....:banghead

How about Covid gambling parties in Alabama. A bunch of college age dufuses get together with an entry fee. The money becomes the pot. A couple of Covid positive dudes or chicks get in free. Then the first attendee to catch the disease and test positive gets to keep the pot. I am starting to believe that as a civilization we are doomed.

I welcome any exculpatory explanations from folks in Alabama. The county says they have confirmed it. The state says they have confirmedit. The college says "say what".

I am afraid to think about the news on Sunday or Monday reading about all the stupid stuff people did on the 4th of July.

Last edited:
People from out of state are visiting Cap Cod. On the news- “We know we are supposed to be (Self) quarantined for 14 days........but........”.
Brilliant.
OM

Texas didn't take it seriously. Abbott opened the state too soon. Now he is closing some things (bars mostly) back up tight. Data suggests that young people and drunk people and especially drunk young people are not very careful and do not care one whit about protecting others. Now Houston is in crisis. They will be looking for those reefer trucks NY had to use very soon. Locally our rate per capita is twice that of Houston. We mostly stay home.

Gov Abbott (Texas) stated no groups larger than 10 outside, but no restriction on gatherings inside. Also, "worshipers" are excluded from mandatory masks.
https://open.texas.gov/uploads/files/organization/opentexas/EO-GA-29-use-of-face-coverings-during-COVID-19-IMAGE-07-02-2020.pdf

So as many people as would like, can gather in churches without masks.

And the Texas republican convention can convene with more than 6,000 attendees in Houston in two weeks.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/02/texas-republicans-coronavirus-convention/

This afternoon at the local Walmart, there were still people without masks. I'd say it's down to ten percent or so.

I am starting to believe that as a civilization we are doomed.

I am afraid to think about the news on Sunday or Monday reading about all the stupid stuff people did on the 4th of July.

I guess us old :fart s can have some solace in that we were “in it” during the best of times.

Hopefully not the end of times.

OM

And down the road,those dufuses will want their college loans forgiven. :banghead

Joking aside, when you're looking at the influx of over 40,000 senior adolescents (i.e., child adults) to your county of 160,000 people, it's a bit scary. However, not as much as the 100,000-plus football fans than want to pack their butts into a stadium and hit the bars before and after the game.

Gov Abbott (Texas) stated no groups larger than 10 outside, but no restriction on gatherings inside. Also, "worshipers" are excluded from mandatory masks.
https://open.texas.gov/uploads/files/organization/opentexas/EO-GA-29-use-of-face-coverings-during-COVID-19-IMAGE-07-02-2020.pdf

So as many people as would like, can gather in churches without masks.

And the Texas republican convention can convene with more than 6,000 attendees in Houston in two weeks.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/02/texas-republicans-coronavirus-convention/

This afternoon at the local Walmart, there were still people without masks. I'd say it's down to ten percent or so.
With regards to houses of worship, what they're required to do and what they plan to do may be two different things. Ours chose to error on the side of caution and followed CDC guidelines with input from the top doctor at St Lukes Hospital, McCall, ID. Physical distancing, masks required, hand washing and frequent cleaning of the parts of the church that are still open. We're also having as many services outdoors this summer as we can. Kind of like where masks and distancing aren't required. We still have an option to distance and use masks.

Some areas of WA., churches less than 200 people per service at time. No bullatons. Families 6' apart which means every other pew, no hand shakes, no hugs. Two people at a time in the restrooms. Cleaning between each services. Some have outdoor services, no food and ALL MUST WEAR MASKS. But we have been on-line for three months now.

Read about the Asian flu and Hong Kong flu for some perspective. Rates of infection. Rates of deaths. How we got through those flus. Me and my significant other were passing through Chicago in ‘68, on our way to our new jobs in NYC, during the DNC riots of that time and the Hong Kong flu, or was it the Asian flu. No masks, no gloves, no worries.

IIRC, if under the age of 30 or 35, can’t remember for sure, yer chance death From this flu hovers somewhere around .0005 of one percent. So yeah, I’m in the very high risk group with covid19. Further, cases doesn’t mean deaths. Last, for our information, it’s a major election year, big duh. The elephant in our closet is we can’t talk about it. Oh, I made it through the polio epidemic before the vaccine. FWIW.

Read about the Asian flu and Hong Kong flu for some perspective. Rates of infection. Rates of deaths. How we got through those flus. Me and my significant other were passing through Chicago in ‘68, on our way to our new jobs in NYC, during the DNC riots of that time and the Hong Kong flu, or was it the Asian flu. No masks, no gloves, no worries.

IIRC, if under the age of 30 or 35, can’t remember for sure, yer chance death From this flu hovers somewhere around .0005 of one percent. So yeah, I’m in the very high risk group with covid19. Further, cases doesn’t mean deaths. Last, for our information, it’s a major election year, big duh. The elephant in our closet is we can’t talk about it. Oh, I made it through the polio epidemic before the vaccine. FWIW.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pandemic-timeline-1930-and-beyond.htm

According to the CDC, the 68 flu killed an estimated 100,000 Americans. With Covid-19, we're already at 130,000 fatalities and the next week or two will tell whether the current southern wave is any different than than the wave that hit NYC to IL

Stay outdoors - filter indoors.

I've recently been seeing a lot talk about how the HVAC systems in houses and commercial buildings are the perfect system for evenly distributing the virus. After all, they are designed to create as even a temperature as possible, and many systems have fans running all the time even if the A/C or heat are not turned on. Conversely, the reports I've seen say that infection rates for unmasked people in close proximity outdoors is much less than indoors. Fortunately for me I've been trying to stay out of buildings since this all began.

There are home air filters which can trap a significant number of bacteria and viruses, and from my research they start with a MERV 13 rating (bigger number = smaller particle capture). However, "most" or "many" home systems are designed for up to only a MERV 12. Going to 13 and beyond will begin to reduce your air flow and create higher pressures internal to the HVAC system, which can potentially work a hardship on your fan system over time.

Note, that there are three different filter efficiency ratings: MERV (generally recognized industry rating), 3M's MPR scale, and then Home Deport has a proprietary system called FPR. Here are a couple of links with more detail and suggestions:

https://www.alencorp.com/blogs/articles/air-purifiers-and-coronavirus

https://www.secondnature.com/blog/staying-healthy/what-merv-rating-should-I-use

I've recently been seeing a lot talk about how the HVAC systems in houses and commercial buildings are the perfect system for evenly distributing the virus. After all, they are designed to create as even a temperature as possible, and many systems have fans running all the time even if the A/C or heat are not turned on. Conversely, the reports I've seen say that infection rates for unmasked people in close proximity outdoors is much less than indoors. Fortunately for me I've been trying to stay out of buildings since this all began.

I saw a similar report last month and it made sense.

It's going to be a quiet Fourth here. All event are canceled, even the fireworks.
First time Debbie has had the fourth off in a long time and noting is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back