• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What? They Don't Have Self-Cancelling Indicators?

jamo

I was all set to get back into BMW motorcycles. I have a really nice 2016 K1600GT lined up at the dealer I first started with in 1980 on my used R75/6. In enthusiastic anticipation I happened to watch a video on YouTube featuring the K1600 and all it's goodies. In passing, it mentioned that there are no self-cancelling indicators!!! Can that possibly be true?

I can't believe it. Tell me it isn't true. Why would a modern GT / touring motorcycle not have self-cancelling indicators? Cars have them. You wouldn't think of buying a car that didn't. If you aren't on a race bike, you have to have them so that you don't inadvertently omit to cancel the indicator and thereby encourage a car to turn in front of you. I can't think of any other explanation than that BMW doesn't care if I ... myself.

Now I remember that was the reason I switched to Harley-Davidsons fifteen years ago, because Harleys have such great SCIs.

If it's true, it is absolutely a deal breaker. I'd be toast after sixteen turns.

I was all set to get back into BMW motorcycles. I have a really nice 2016 K1600GT lined up at the dealer I first started with in 1980 on my used R75/6. In enthusiastic anticipation I happened to watch a video on YouTube featuring the K1600 and all it's goodies. In passing, it mentioned that there are no self-cancelling indicators!!! Can that possibly be true?

That would surprise me. Other K bikes have had self cancelling turn signals since the mid 80s.
I don't know when the boxers started, maybe mid 90s ???

The manual (downloadable here) says:

The turn indicators are cancelled
automatically after the defined
time and distance. The defined
time and distance travelled
can be set by an authorised
BMW Motorrad dealer.

d1ya0.jpg

In practice, I cancel manually 99.9% of the time. The automatic feature helps when I totally forget. I think the Harley system might also recognize the sound of dragging floor boards to know when a turn has been completed :)ha). With lean angle sensors on the newest BMWs, I'd hope the signal cancellation works a bit better.

That would surprise me. Other K bikes have had self cancelling turn signals since the mid 80s.
I don't know when the boxers started, maybe mid 90s ???

My '87 K has self cancelling turn signals but not my '98 R1100RT, at least not until I installed the after market Kisan cancelling module.

F800GS- at stop light, signals run forever. Take a ramp at highway speed- 6 flashes.
Time and speed :thumb
OM

Since 1983, I believe, BMWs with electronic speedometers a opposed to cable driven speedometers have had self-cancelling turn signals. Thus the K100, K75, K1100 series, etc had self cancelling signals. But the R1100 and R1150 bikes had cable driven speedometers and did not have self-cancelling signals.

I don't know about the R1200 series of bikes. I'm pretty sure the K1200 and K1300 bikes had electronic speedometers and self cancelling signals.

Phew! Then I'm hearing that they do indeed have SCIs. I'll make sure, but that is a relief.

If cars had self canceling indicators how come I see some cars with them on for 10's of miles on the highway?... :stick :ha
Anyway my '18 R1200GSA has the self canceling feature as did my '17 1200RT.

If cars had self canceling indicators how come I see some cars with them on for 10's of miles on the highway?... :stick :ha

The driver did not turn a corner, but merely changed lanes which seldom results in an automatic signal cancellation.

Therefore he or she forgot to manually turn it off because they are a bit absent minded or their flasher makes no noise in their vehicle or they have the music too loud to be reminded by the dinging sound or they are distracted by their telephone or they are just incompetent drivers. :laugh:laugh:laugh

Now I remember that was the reason I switched to Harley-Davidsons fifteen years ago, because Harleys have such great SCIs.
:scratch

My 2009 H-D XR1200 has the stupidest turn signal system on any bike I've ever ridden. And my 2008 H-D Fat Boy had the same system. There are two switches, one on the left hand and one on the right hand.. Now, that part is OK. But if you get impatient thinking that the signal won't cancel and hit the switch to cancel it yourself and you happen to be a split-second late (ie, the signal was just self-cancelled), hitting the switch will turn the signal back on.

Just to finish up, I spoke with a BMW Dealer on this. He said BMW doesn't want to use the phrase "self cancelling" to describe a feature, perhaps a liability concern. So they don't claim it, but essentially that is how it functions. So, there.

Just to finish up, I spoke with a BMW Dealer on this. He said BMW doesn't want to use the phrase "self cancelling" to describe a feature, perhaps a liability concern. So they don't claim it, but essentially that is how it functions. So, there.
That doesn't make any sense. Then why does BMW state the following in the S1000R Rider's Manual (Owner's Manual)?

Operating the turn indicators

The turn indicators are cancelled automatically after you have ridden for approximately 10 seconds and covered a distance of about 300 m.

I would wager that this statement is in every (modern) BMW motorcycle rider's manual.

Last edited:
One person at one dealership does not speak with accuracy when explaining corporate policy and panic in the streets ensues. :banghead

In practice, I cancel manually 99.9% of the time. The automatic feature helps when I totally forget.
Same here. Back when I started riding, none of the bikes had auto-cancelling turn indicators. That's how I learned. Old (but good) habits die hard.

Sci

On my first service for my 2018 Grand America I asked the service department to reduce the time/distance for self cancellation of the turn signals so they tried. They still take forever to self cancel, it’s frustrating and dangerous. The service department was limited by the software.

My 09 1200rt is self cancelling but I normally do that myself unless I for get then look to see the indicator still blinking on the panel, I'm happy they SC.

Back