• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Towne BMW Buffalo NY

stevenrankin

I would love to know why BMW pulled Towne's dealership so soon after Towne got it? Now the nearest BMW dealer is four or five hours away. Doesn't make sense to me. St.

I would love to know why BMW pulled Towne's dealership so soon after Towne got it? Now the nearest BMW dealer is four or five hours away. Doesn't make sense to me. St.

I contacted them a week ago, letting them know I was in need of a dealer for service on my wethead GS since Country Rode Motowerks in Fairport, NY closed recently.

They let me know they were closing the BMW motorcycle dealership as of May 1st. They didn't say why. The closest dealer to me is in PA. I might do business with Max BMW in Troy, NY. There is also a dealer on the east side of Cleveland. I haven't decided on who I will use for service. I expect to be doing more work myself and will be getting a GS-911 to remove service reminders.

Hope I won't need emergency service...

Harry

Was it ever open? The last time I was up there last Fall, a few bikes were in the car showroom and the new bike buildings outside wasn't even close to being completed!

If there is a downside to owning a BMW it is the weak dealer network. Now, I would want the company to have competent dealers and get rid of any that are not, but the network is too few and far between.

Towne

Towne was building a showroom for the bikes as well as cars. For some reason BMW ended their dealership. They HAD gotten the BMW dealership, got the tools, parts and some bikes, then poof! no more!

I heard that Towne really didn't want the dealership and kind of had it forced on them.
Sorry to see Fairport close shop. Probably the last Mom and Pop dealer in the system.

If you cross the border and head to Burlington, ON, Bud's BMW is only about 1 1/2 hours away and your dollar is worth about $1.30 as of compared to the Canadian buck. John Parker is their head bike mechanic.

Towne

I talked to the BMW motorcycle manager at Towne. They WANTED the shop. They spent the money to get the bike dealership, they were building a showroom for the bikes.

I do not know why BMW pulled their dealership. It certainly was NOT because Towne did not want the bike line.

Towne BMW

stevenrankin, I'm in Churchville. Not to far from you. A couple of us from the Finger Lakes club went to Towne in the beginning of March. Talked to Mark the sales manager for almost 2 hours. He talked about the plans to move the bikes from their temporary spot to a permanent location when the construction was done. He said it would be sometime in May. When did they shut the doors? Without Country Rode we had high hopes for a dealer in Buffalo. Not looking forward to going all the way to Max's if I need something serious.

Towne BMW

It is confirmed. I talked to Mark this afternoon. Seems BMW made some outrageous demands about square footage and decor. They wanted 3000 sq ft and Towne already had 2800. BMW also made demands on decor items such as tile etc. Towne said no. So the brain trust in Berlin sent and email saying they were terminated. Another really smart move from the fatherland. Now we only have one dealer in NY state. I guess gaining market is not on their agenda. Closing dealers is not helping their cause. They can build all the new models they want (G310) to attract new buyers. It will mean nothing if they keep depleting their dealer network. Apparently it's more about image (or perceived image) than selling motorcycles.

I recall the effort Towne BMW made at "Das Rally" in Hamburg. They didn't have a BMW Motorrad dealership at that point, but they were there with a big display at the MOA Rally. I spoke with the GM of their BMW automobile dealership, and he was very enthusiastic. Obviously things went downhill at some point. BMW clearly has standards for appearance of a dealership and heavily enforces those. It definitely seems like the old-style dealership is history, at least for sales of BMW motorcycles.

In Massachusetts, there is a dealer in the town of Gill, MA which sold BMWs and Moto-Guzzis for many years. Looks like they're still interested in servicing BMWs but sales are a thing of the past. Here's AJ Cycles URL: https://ajcycle.com/gallery/2/0/New-Motocycles

At the Hamburg Rally, I tried to encourage Max Stratton of Max BMW to buy the Fairport dealership to expand his empire, but obviously that didn't happen. It was worth a try...

Sills - Cleveland

If looking for a mom and pop op, Sills in Cleveland is one.

My Uncle rode out of Sills when he first appeared on a visit to Michigan in the 60's. Never owned a car. He seemed to be having more fun than anyone I ever met. I figured as a young teenager that the motorcycle had something to do with it and I needed to get with he program when old enough. Fifty years later I still can't leave those motorcycles alone.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

Bmw

I really do not need a dealer for my bikes as the newest one is an 84 R80RT.

The owner of Country Rode told me if I wanted service I would need to buy something newer. I never had any service work done at his shop after that. On the other hand, I have a pal in Australia who tells me he has three dealers within thirty miles of him and they work on his airhead bikes as well as his K1100RS.

Sad to see Towne shut down for such a stupid reason.

Trail’s End BMW in Fairbanks, AK was a one man operation for nearly 50 years. When George was forced to sell the franchise to the local Harley dealership in 2007 he was still running the dealership out of a 1950s era travel trailer with a cabin grafted on to it that doubled as his home. He used a wood stove for heat, had an outhouse and two ramshackle sheds were his only shop space. Every car he ever owned and every tire he ever changed were stored around his heavily wooded four acre lot. I do not recall a single square inch of BMW approved, color coordinated tile.

Last edited:
So, exactly what was that stupid reason. Last I heard we didn't actually know what happened. Enlighten me.

A fight with BMW over the square footage of the new shop Towne is building. I guess now they will use it as another car show room.

To be a little fair, I have only heard the Towne side of the story.

Back