• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Top Case

For those of you that have a Wet Head 1200RT with a Top Case, I was wondering how easy it is to put on and take off? Also, do you like it?

I am thinking that one of those 2017, RT models might have to find it's way to my garage soon? Trying to dial in which options I want?

Thanks,
John

Very useful. So much soo that I tend to leave it on all the time. I've got the 49L model so it swallows my helmet very nicely with plenty of room to spare. Will even hold two full-face helmets. Really makes stowing things a much quicker and easier task compared to using the panniers.

It is reasonably quick and easy to put on or take off, especially if it's empty. If however, it is packed and loose than you need to dig down on the inside to the bottom as you have to rotate the clamp from there. I use pannier liner bags which avoids that problem as I just lift the bag and voila. Not much more hassle than my R1150RT top case was and easier than the Givi top case on my Ducati.

John, if you do get one, and your like me, you may not like the fact that they only come in matte silver vs color coordinated with the rest of the bike. The top of the top case (the piece that's painted matte silver) is actually a cap that is very easily removed and painted (4-6 screws on the inside IIRC). You can do it yourself or take it off and have a body shop do it for around $100. To me it really brought the look of the bike together in a much better way.

It is very to take off or put on. I leave my off unless I need the space. I found this summer that with it on and empty it still cost 5 mpg according to the bikes computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On trips I leave mine on but around home I take mine off! Makes it easier for me to get on and off the bike! I would guess the top cases with keyless may be a bit of a bother as it seems to me the rear seat needs to come off to unplug it! Also the top case has no carry handle as on a Givi, so carrying it any distance , loaded, may be awkward!

I've owned many RTs... 2002 1150 through 2014 LC
Currently have a 2013 Camhead...

I've always had one of the smaller BMW Top Cases.. 28 liter.
Very simple to install and remove.
Looks good on the bike IMO... you could paint the top half.. but I think it looks fine as is / black
More than enough additional storage for my purposes....especially when combined with the side cases and a Tank Bag.

My 2013 RT, which I recently purchased, came with a GIVI Top case and mounting plate..The case itself looks good enough and carries stuff just fine, but the carrier plate is sort of clunky...
looks out of place on an otherwise nicely finished bike.

Personally, I never cared for the appearance of the 49 liter block and have no need for it's HUGE capacity, although I'm sure it's just the ticket for some folks.
As another wrote, it's pretty big, and to some degree must have a negative effect on aerodynamics, mpg, and when loaded up with stuff, perhaps even handling.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw...WosVQKHRnPAyIQ7AkIag&biw=1360&bih=649#imgrc=_

Suit yourself..
Now go spend.....

Last edited:
I bought my 49l case off of Ebay for about 1/3 the cost of a new one. I believe that it is a '12 or '13 model but fits perfectly and is easy to get on or off. The only thing I needed to do was get the lock rekeyed for my key. Only really use it for long trips as I can fit a lot in to it.

I use my top case on every ride, I have a Wee Strom and had a 02R1150RT, I would move a Givi case between the two. I keep tools, including a tire kit, first aid kit, jumper cables, hat and other stuff, yea I know I carry a lot of weight with me... I have a Wethead RT with the 49L case with central locking keep the same stuff in it. It's a great spot to keep the daily gear such as liners, extra gloves and more. So easy to get anything you need out of.

Others have answered the question of ease to remove, no big deal for me that doesn't happen often :).

Jay

I have the 29L topbox that I moved over from my '10 F800ST to my '15 RT. Rack/Fitting is identical between the two bikes. I had the 29L case rekeyed to match the panniers, but I rarely lock it (only when parking outside a motel when traveling). It's large enough to stow a full-face helmet (1 only) with some soft stuff around it. Of course it isn't "central locking", but I can live without that feature.

Also the top case has no carry handle as on a Givi, so carrying it any distance , loaded, may be awkward!
Do the top cases for a 2016 not have the handle that you use to remove the case from the mount? My 49L case has a carry handle.

28L purchased with lock and backrest less than $500 out the door from Long Beach Bmw, easy on/off
Both my RT riding buddies have 49L cases and now the smaller 28 cases live on their bikes 90% of the time
I also have a tail gunner case that never gets used, more than willing to sell cheap, great for small items

I have the 29L topbox that I moved over from my '10 F800ST to my '15 RT. Rack/Fitting is identical between the two bikes. I had the 29L case rekeyed to match the panniers, but I rarely lock it (only when parking outside a motel when traveling). It's large enough to stow a full-face helmet (1 only) with some soft stuff around it. Of course it isn't "central locking", but I can live without that feature.

Same here, from my '13 F800GT. It stays on my '16 RT all the time because A, it doesn't affect getting on/off the bike, B, a few tools and compressor live there and a few other goodies, C, it's often big enough to accommodate a few groceries or other, D, it is super aerodynamic, and E, in the event of a bike drop my side cases won't be nailed. I just bring my helmet with me if I'm away from the bike awhile, or I put my helmet on the tank and drape my jacket over it to hide it from plain view when I'm away from the bike a short time. My side cases never go on the bike unless I'm touring, which isn't that often at the moment but lots more coming up as the weather improves--RT is real nice for sport riding w/o the add'l weight, and the little top case doesn't impact that at all. I think the big top case looks too big and bulky, but that's just me ;o)

Also, FWIW, Corbin makes a smuggler trunk now for 2014+ RT. It looks like a top case might work on it as well:

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 8.33.53 AM.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information. Nice to know that the case by it self is easy to get off and on. Was leaning for the bigger case for the comfort of the bigger backrest for when my wife comes along for a ride. Also the extra carrying capacity. An added benefit, to the large case, is to be able to add the extra rear lights onto it. It appears you can't do that to the small case?

Again, thank you for the input.......

John

John
Your 100% on large top case for 2up travel and comfort, plus the added benefit of extra light
Single rider the smaller case works fine and in my opinion looks better, check EBay you'll find both at very reasonable prices, rekeying a case is not a big deal

I have a 28L top case on my '16 RT -- not too big or heavy, not too small, looks great and my Arai fits easily. I had the top half painted Platinum Bronze to match.

I have a 28L top case on my '16 RT -- not too big or heavy, not too small, looks great and my Arai fits easily. I had the top half painted Platinum Bronze to match.

I have a '16 Plat Bronze as well and would like to see how it looks w/ the top half of the 28L painted. If you don't mind taking a photo that would be nice to see.

Cheers

My side cases never go on the bike unless I'm touring, which isn't that often at the moment but lots more coming up as the weather improves--RT is real nice for sport riding w/o the add'l weight, and the little top case doesn't impact that at all. I think the big top case looks too big and bulky, but that's just me ;o)

View attachment 59570

I am just the opposite, my big top box does not go on except for long trips when the extra space is needed.

i have a 2014 RT with a top case. got the bike used with 800 miles on it after the rear shock recall caper so the money i saved went to other options, the most important being the top case. they are expensive, but worth it. I love mine. try to get the interior light option and get it linked to the central lock system. it is a pain getting on and off the bike with it installed but that is a minor inconvenience. Mine will hold 2 helmets if i remove and fold up the interior base matt. I leave it on all the time, as I do not want to remove it and get it damaged. I am surprised to see there is no carrying handle like the old one.

I have a '16 Plat Bronze as well and would like to see how it looks w/ the top half of the 28L painted. If you don't mind taking a photo that would be nice to see.

Cheers

Here you go:

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Back