• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picking up my '23 RT soon, dealership ???

Motor32

Motor32
I'm picking up my new '23 RT soon, and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for things to do before I leave the dealer? I have a '20 RT now and will have them re-key the top case cylinder I've removed, and will have them remove the handlebars and I'll put my Bar-backs on. Thoughts? Thanks.

Steve

Probably good to make sure you have a spare key.

Good luck with your new bike!

OM

A 2nd fob is expensive. If you had a spare fob for your 20 RT maybe it can be reprogrammed to your 23RT.
A non chipped metal key for your trunk doesn't cost much, around $35.

I went from a 14R1200RT keyed bike to a 22R1250RT. I think it's import to have an extra set of key's or Fob. All the auto's and bikes I have came with a 2nd key/fob. When I purchased the 2022 RT (ordered the bike, it took a couple of months to build) I had a non chipped key and 2nd fob put into the deal. I did have to take delivery (titled in my name) of the bike before they could order the key/fob from BMW, I picked them up at the 600 service.

I went from a 14R1200RT keyed bike to a 22R1250RT. I think it's import to have an extra set of key's or Fob. All the auto's and bikes I have came with a 2nd key/fob. When I purchased the 2022 RT (ordered the bike, it took a couple of months to build) I had a non chipped key and 2nd fob put into the deal. I did have to take delivery (titled in my name) of the bike before they could order the key/fob from BMW, I picked them up at the 600 service.

Good point, thanks.

Make sure everything works in particular the XM reception, the AM and FM radios. My XM reception with the BMW installed antenna (mushroom on the dash in front of the TFT) was very iffy. Hooked up an accessory antenna and mounted on the Top case and it works as expected. My FM radio works well but the AM doesn't work. I know of others who have had similar issues. Other than that, I'm happy with my 2023 RT. I'm working with the dealer to resolve the XM and AM issues.

Enjoy the ride.

Make sure everything works in particular the XM reception, the AM and FM radios. My XM reception with the BMW installed antenna (mushroom on the dash in front of the TFT) was very iffy. Hooked up an accessory antenna and mounted on the Top case and it works as expected. My FM radio works well but the AM doesn't work. I know of others who have had similar issues. Other than that, I'm happy with my 2023 RT. I'm working with the dealer to resolve the XM and AM issues.

Enjoy the ride.

I'm in the same situation with the AM antenna problem. Plugging in a cheapo rod antenna brings in AM stations so I know it's not the radio, but the antenna. I bought a replacement OEM antenna to see if that resolves the problem.

Depending on your relationship with the dealer - I would try to convince them to update the firmware if it's not at the latest version. I tried to do this with the delivery of my '22 without success. I had to put some miles on it, experience some of the problems of the earlier firmware, and then bring it back (200 miles roundtrip!) for them to update the firmware.

Enjoy the ride.

Thanks, I'll check it out at delivery.

I get it but there’s apps for those which are more real time.

I have plenty of apps but you don't get local color or insights from the general websites. Often times the local stations have reporting that never makes it to the other platforms. Since my bike's AM radio antenna isn't functional - I've been carrying a small portable radio, which works fine, but would rather have the bike's radio working rather than having to carry the extra radio. I realize few people use this approach, but it's something I've always done and enjoy it.

One more point - the highways in my neck of the woods broadcast emergency conditions (and detours, etc.) on the AM radio band. They post the frequency to receive them and have flashing lights when there are alerts to be heard.

Make sure the keyless gas cap opens!!! Mine didn't upon delivery. Had to wait around while they fixed it.

Good luck & congrats!

Please let us know about any problems you noticed after you picked it up: TFT, radio, etc. Congrats on the new bike. Hope it is trouble free. :lurk

E.

Please let us know about any problems you noticed after you picked it up: TFT, radio, etc. Congrats on the new bike. Hope it is trouble free. :lurk

E.

There should be a one page notice given to any new owners of the RT or K1600 about how to set up the TFT. It is vital to the TFT's operation that you 1) delete any Bluetooth pairings your phone has with your headset (on the phone and the handset); 2) that you pair your phone to the bike and 3) pair your headset to the bike. You will have multiple TFT problems if you don't follow this routine.

Most people also run into the problem of the BMW Connected app being put into the background on the iPhone so maps won't display on the TFT. One way to fix this is to set up the iPhone to disable notifications when the Connected app is running.

Along the lines of that TFT- the latest version of the software is 013_013_20. I would think any professional dealer with a professional technician would do this without prompting- but no harm in making this expectation clear. Sign nothing until you can validate it.

Back