• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low speed / parking lot maneuvering..

K1600_gtl

So I'm new to riding a "heavy" bike... the K1600. I'm able to easily flat foot the bike, but the placement of the foot pegs makes moving it sometimes into a parking space (especially backing up) a challenge. I already laid it down once (thank God with very minimal damaged due to the protective bars). My question is... I'd heard they originally had a reverse gear but took it out.. and my biggest struggle is backing up while turning sometimes. Any advice other than "practice practice practice"? The bike is ok once its moving 3mph or more and I can put my feet up.. it's feet down that's killing me! ;)

If you didn't just buy a bike that is too heavy or too tall for you- there are no magic tricks to walking a bike back except do as much as you can for ergos and watch your footing. Higher soles on boots may be a modest help.

Despite riding a lifetime, at my age (almost 70) I'd never consider a 6 cyl. I ride an RT as my main bike as do many others in my club. The 6's are for guys 15 or more years younger whose SO doesn't ride. My SO owns 3 of her own...

So I'm new to riding a "heavy" bike... the K1600. I'm able to easily flat foot the bike, but the placement of the foot pegs makes moving it sometimes into a parking space (especially backing up) a challenge.

This is one area where we can possibly learn something from the Harley guys. :) They will usually back into a space that is remotely slanted towards the curb, so that the engine pulls them out of the parking space. I'm not very good at backing my RS into spaces because my back is so danged inflexible, but that skill will get better with practice. It sucks to back the bike up and out of a space. Much better to power out.

My K1200RS is heavy (620 lbs), but I manage to make it do what I want. Admittedly it's not easy. I almost never pull straight into a parking space. No tips, really. Sometimes I might sort of lean the bike into myself if I have to walk it around at all. Watch out for pocket knife clip, rivets on jeans, etc. I guess it's possible to use the throttle and clutch to walk the bike while its at your side, but best be careful doing that!
Good luck with the new bike!

If you can easily flat foot it, there's not much advice to give you. Maybe practice will do it. Maybe you need to not do that maneuver, you need to think ahead more. Or, sometimes we are not strong enough or we are too old for the bike. 768 lbs wet before we add luggage, toolkit, etc IS a lot. Maybe you bit off more than you can chew.

Take smaller steps ... Find the actual and absolute vertical balance point and keep it there while moving ... "Splay width" of the feet has to be a compromise between wide for stability and narrow for secure foot traction & movement, and may be hindered by the nose of the seat. Once you've decided on the parking spot and its entry, turn your head less and trust your mirrors and instinct - turning your head will torque your body and make it easier to drop.
Practice practice practice...
Don't despair, light bikes get dropped too.

The best thing you can do to help is be very selective in the parking spot you choose when possible. Of course never park nose first on a down grade! You will only do that once.

Thanks all, yes.. the one time I laid it down, the parking space was certainly not ideal... slanted, with a big rut in the asphalt that I didn't really notice until I was backing out.

It does get easier and easier... and for the record, I did lay my R1200R down once in a similar fashion. I'm 6'0, 185lbs and 46 years old, somewhat fit... it's not a strength issue, as much as a technique and maybe my being less than selective in where i'm parking.. which I am more so now.

I try to never park nose in at any time. Most places it's fairly easy to circle around to where I can park nose out. Maybe a little backing up to get straight, but never much.

It's just a rumor about the reverse gear. The K1200LT had that, but we hope BMW never embarrasses itself like that again.

I had a 1600GT for 2 years and 25,000 miles, was never comfortable at low speeds, got a zero speed drop once when putting left foot down on a high crown road, only damage was ego
Switched to a RT, 200 lbs lighter, much easier to handle at near zero speeds
That being said I watched a 5'6" 125 pound woman handle a gold wing like it was a small dirt bike, impressive
Huntington Beach Ca has police rodeo on Sept14th, will be their to watch and hopefully learn!!
Those officers are good

If in a situation where it's hard to back up I just stand next to the bike and walk it out. I find it much easier to not lose my footing that way.

It's just a rumor about the reverse gear. The K1200LT had that, but we hope BMW never embarrasses itself like that again.

The company that makes the transmissions for the K1600, at BMW's request, designed a reverse gear and submitted to BMW. As of late April they were waiting on BMW's response. So I know it is in the works, but they may not have it in this year or may decide not to implement. My source works for the transmission company, but is soon to be an ex-relative so I can't follow up anymore.

Always plan for the exit:thumb

Check the angle, let gravity roll me back and occasionally use my feet to move that way. The low cruisers were easier than a loaded GSA or RT. Have ridden a few 6's, didn't think it was any more difficult than any other Wedge models.

I chuckle when my riding compadres nose in without any thought of their escape path...sometimes asked to help them out, of course with a few sarcastic words as I do. Of course it also is the larger bikes:banghead
I guess from driving a large truck for years,often with a trailer, it just becomes second nature to plan the exit.

I also have seen some older than me guys who can nimbly swing an LT or 6 around at low speeds...practice and confidence.

First Move Forward.

Always plan for the exit:thumb

If possible I pull through double parking spaces for a forward departure. If spaces are perpendicular to a curb, I find several spaces together and work on making a L shaped maneuver run along curb until I get to the desired space and then steer way from the curb pointing the nose out. Sometimes I have to push back a few steps but is limited. If enough spaces are available I can also enter like I am making a U turn but this has more restricted vision and I have to watch out for cars trying to park because my back is turned at some point. Rear brake in both maneuvers staying off the front so the front end does not compress.

Best regards,

Chris

One suggestion if you need to get off the bike and push it forward or back it up. Until you get used to the balance, put the side stand down, then move it from the right side. This will give you some security if the bike gets unbalanced and you lose it to the left. Make certain before you lay it back on the stand that the stand didn't hit the ground while you were moving it and fold up.

I have to admit

that the sound of this makes me nervous just reading it. I'm only 5'5", and I can't imagine doing either of these things. I stand on the left side of my GS, and put the weight of it against my hip whenever i am walking it around. Never had an issue yet.

YMMV

One suggestion if you need to get off the bike and push it forward or back it up. Until you get used to the balance, put the side stand down, then move it from the right side. This will give you some security if the bike gets unbalanced and you lose it to the left. Make certain before you lay it back on the stand that the stand didn't hit the ground while you were moving it and fold up.

And when you do hear that sidestand snap up...:scratch :eek

I have done the walk a long, but on the left just in case...and it has. Rolling LT's, Wings,GSA's, and GT's off a lift solo lends opportunities to practice for me as there is a concrete slope and then gravel at the end of my main lift.

If the side stand does fold up while you're on the right side, you'll realize that doing this way is totally asinine and wrong and you shouldn't have done it that way. All while hoping someone comes along to help put the stand back down.

If you are sitting on the bike, both feet on the ground and trying to back pedal while pushing the bike you are asking for trouble. As a few others have noted, get off the bike, stand on the left side with your right hip against the seat, legs out to the left a bit and balance the weight of the bike against your hip. You body forms a tripod with the bike. Both hands on the bars, use the front brake to control your speed when moving the bike around. Practise this at home in your driveway or in an empty parking lot. Much safer way to move around a heavy bike.

Pick your parking spots carefully and learn to park so that you don't have to back up, or it you have to back up, that it is not up hill.

When the K1600 debuted a few years back, one look at it told me it was too big, too heavy and as an aside too expensive for me. As was the case with the K1200LT. I thought both were cool neat bikes, just not suited for me. I knew sooner or later I would have a low speed tip over. I really didn't look forward to up righting the bike and fixing the damage. About 10 years ago at the Natural State Rally I camped out next to a strapping big young guy on a K1200LT. He loaded up his gear to leave; rode down the hill to our little HQ's for coffee and goodbyes. Got there and dumped the bike. Went down the hill to help pick it up. Thought to myself, yep to big for me. ps I ride alone a lot, so when it happens, I'll probably be by myself in an obscure place up side down in a ditch. Ride and enjoy.

Back