• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 Mileage Contest

dennypink

DennyPink
Digging around in my garage I found my MOA mileage contest plaque from 1992. In that year I won the prestigious "Average Rider" award with 11,434 miles. In this months magazine I noticed the 2015 Average Rider award mileage was 8,825. That's a decrease of over 2,600 miles from 23 years ago. Curious what people think about that? (It's gotta be better than an oil or tire thread doesn't it?) :)

DP

The number of miles I ride each year has declined in the last 10 years. I find that after a long week of work Monday-Friday and sometimes Saturday as well, I don't have the energy necessary to do weekend trips like when I was younger, so my yearly riding mileage has dropped to about half of what it was a few years ago. If I can ever actually retire maybe I can reverse the trend. I sure hope so.

Gosh, only 5 replies from what I thought would generate some interest and insight. Oh well, back to the old standard ...... so...... what kind of oil do you use??:)

Things go up and down depending on who enters and who rode a lot or a little. I have seen the women's winner range from about 30,000 to just over 80,000 and the mens range from about 40,000 to just over 100,000 in the traditional 6 month contest, The law of averages would indicate those extremes ought to average out, but like most laws, sometimes it gets broken. :)

Here are the last 10 years of mileage awards, top male and female along with the average category. In 2006, the top female rider was Ardys Kellerman!!

Attachments

• Mileage Awards - Top.jpg
    Mileage Awards - Top.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Mileage Awards - Avg.jpg
    Mileage Awards - Avg.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 231
Thanks for putting those charts together; they were interesting.

Reason for dip: I'm going with average age of BMW riders and motorcyclists in general increasing, declining leisure time; and with uncertain economic times people either worked instead of vacationing or lost their discretionary income.

Thanks for putting those charts together; they were interesting.

Reason for dip: I'm going with average age of BMW riders and motorcyclists in general increasing, declining leisure time; and with uncertain economic times people either worked instead of vacationing or lost their discretionary income.

I'm increasing in age (daily). I have more leisure time than ever before. Fortunately financially secure. I'm simply too lazy to sign up for a mileage contest. Plus, I split my mileage between three bikes, two of which aren't BMWs. :blush

Last edited:
I think S1000RR bikes - the biggest seller last year in the U.S. are less comfortable to ride cross-country than Denny's K1100LT was. Ergo, a lower average.

Interesting thread. I'm trying to imagine any factors that may have influenced trends that might not be obvious. I suspect some of our high mileage guys and gals may be seeking recognition elsewhere due to the rise in participation of social media. I'm certain there are high mileage riders that don't seek this form of recognition. And I think there may be a flip side to the financial equation not considered: in the past where one could not afford an SUV and bike trailer, now maybe more have retired, and can afford this comfort aminity, allowing traileing to a national with on site riding that does not accumulate high mileage, causing people not to participate as they see their miles as "not competitive". And lastly, I think the increase in traffic everywhere and the high preponderance of distracted driving incidents has caused some riders to limit their riding or eliminate it all together. Food for thought, just thinking...

Could it just be that a lot of us don't bother to enter? I don't - I believe it needs another member's signature and I don't know anyone closer than 2000 km!

Could it just be that a lot of us don't bother to enter? I don't - I believe it needs another member's signature and I don't know anyone closer than 2000 km!

Check the Anonymous book for towns/cities near you. There are a couple of folks who post here from N.B.

Now you have no excuse. :D

Riding to and from the person you know, twice, will give you a good base of kilometers to build upon.... :dance.

Back