• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet speakers

carguyjason

I've a 2016 R1200RT and would like to be able to listen to the bikes radio through speakers in the helmet via the bike's bluetooth. I'm not interested in communication systems, but that seems to be all I am able to find. I thought this would be a simple add on, but perhaps it is more complicated than I realized. Any advice would be appreciated.

A simple Sena SMH 5 or 10 will work. Pretty cheap and easy to install and you don't have to use the comm parts if you don't want.

Sent from my KFSAWA using Tapatalk

I just bought a Sena Bluetooth system this past year. I use it primarily to listen to music and podcasts from my iPhone via Bluetooth. I've only used the intercom once (I normally ride alone) and I have never used some of the features, such as the ability to have a Bluetooth enabled GPS pipe audio to the helmet.

I think my experience is probably typical of lots of riders where you use some but not all of the features. There may be dedicated Bluetooth audio systems that are only for listening to music (I'm not sure on this) but for a little over $100 you can get a Sena SMH10 is similar product and just ignore the features that don't interest you. Easy to install and pair with other devices, audio is decent IMHO.

Coming form a 60 yr old with tinnitus

Although it might seem like a good idea now.....
USE EXTREME CAUTION when contemplating adding more noise sources to your motorcycle experience.

d'milan
curmudgeon

Coming form a 60 yr old with tinnitus

Although it might seem like a good idea now.....
USE EXTREME CAUTION when contemplating adding more noise sources to your motorcycle experience.

d'milan
curmudgeon
A lot of us use ear plugs even with helmet speakers to ensure the music is, much like the wind noise, at safe levels.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

A lot of us use ear plugs even with helmet speakers to ensure the music is, much like the wind noise, at safe levels.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

I use foam ear plugs any time I travel at highway speeds. I get navigation audio commands just fine even with ear plugs: just use enough volume.

Harry

I too use ear plugs now, (since the article in ON on hearing conservation foam earplugs, I'm guessing November, October issue maybe) with my Bluetooth speakers in my schuberth. Have no problem hearing audio. High frequency notes in music is muted a bit, but after a song or too it's not noticed. What I do notice now is not wearing my ear plugs... Out of control loud now.

that coming from a 48 year old with tinnitus.

When I used my Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (until recently) I had J&M hard-wired helmet speakers in my Shoei Multitech, and heard everything clear as a bell while wearing foam earplugs. Now that I updated to a Zumo 660, the helmet speaker volume was horrendously low. Even with all the volumes set at 100%, I could barely hear it. I just purchased a set of SPlug earbuds from www.Plugup.com, which serve as speakers and earplugs (so I now removed the helmet speakers & no longer need the foam plugs) and with the GPS volume set at 40-50% its perfect. Can't say why the audio-out volume is so much worse on a newer, more expensive GPS unit, but it is what it is.

Is blasting music thru foam ear plugs a good idea??

I too have hearing loss from a youthful love of loud two stroke dirt bike, too much chain saw use, shooting etc.
Now I always use foam ear plugs. And NO high volume music pumped in.

I have tried expensive custom made ear plug audio, speakers in helmets etc. While they all worked, it still seemed to me that they were to loud to get clarity above background wind noise.!

After all any speaker has to over come by a considerable amount the wind and other background noise to be heard. Music especially needs to substantially above (15 / 20 db) above the background noise to allow tonal appreciation.

I'm no audiologist (maybe some one on this blog is) but it seems to me that wind noise is 70-80db (maybe higher) levels in my helmet. Then you put in foam ear plug which attenuate 25db...so the noise is in the 45-55 db range. Still pretty loud! Then you add in your music which need to be 20db higher to be heard. This means 90 to 100db outside the ear plug...clearly dangerous levels here. But evan at the ear it is 65-75 db in the ear. Loud! Loud enough to further ear damage if sustained for lone periods? I think so but do not know for sure.

These db levels i mention are crude estimates form a db meter app on my I phone so should not be considered precise....but I do think they are near the mark.

Does this make sense?

I like these for many of the reasons pointed out in this thread.
NoNoise Earplugs

I don't like them.

I bought them at the NYC motorcycle show a couple of years ago. The ceramic tube is supposed to be tuned to "motorcycle" noise. Which is wide band noise.

I took them out and used them once. The wind noise was clearly LOUDER than my foam ear plug.

Never used them since.

Note in their advertisement. They identify noise sources but DO NOT SAY what their attenuation is. Typical marketing double talk.
Sorry but my opinion.

I suspect their tuned wave guide might work well in narrow band applications...not motorcycle.

I don't like them.

Sorry, I forgot to include YMMV in my post but it is always implied. I do agree that the wind noise is louder than with foam plugs. However I am not sure that means it is less safe. They do provide some Protection/attenuation data at the bottom of this link but probably not enough detail for sure. If you know of some independent testing data that proves their claims are bogus I would be all ears!

I've a 2016 R1200RT and would like to be able to listen to the bikes radio through speakers in the helmet via the bike's bluetooth. I'm not interested in communication systems, but that seems to be all I am able to find. I thought this would be a simple add on, but perhaps it is more complicated than I realized. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jason
Go with the BMW comm system, you paid for the wonderwheel on your RT why not use it
By doing so if you later want to communicate it won't be necessary to buy another unit

Jim

Sorry, I forgot to include YMMV in my post but it is always implied. I do agree that the wind noise is louder than with foam plugs. However I am not sure that means it is less safe. They do provide some Protection/attenuation data at the bottom of this link but probably not enough detail for sure. If you know of some independent testing data that proves their claims are bogus I would be all ears!

Well said! I don't have any data on my foam plugs either...just the subjective "quieter"

Jason
Go with the BMW comm system, you paid for the wonderwheel on your RT why not use it
By doing so if you later want to communicate it won't be necessary to buy another unit

Jim

And if anyone wants one, I have a SRC system that fits in the Shuberth helmet. I have an extra one that was only used twice, my wife just didn't like it. She likes to ride without. She probably doesn't want to talk to me either, but never said that :). It will fit a large men's SchubertH helmet. It is about four months old, and I'll let anybody have it for a good deal, just p.m. me.

BMW comm system

Jason

Jim

Isn't it true that the BMW system only works with the Surberth helmet? When I bought my 15 RT I was going to get this helmet but it didn't fit my pinhead. I had to (great helmet by the way!) get the Arai so I wasn't able to get it installed.

Anyone do this for the Arai?

Not true

Isn't it true that the BMW system only works with the Surberth helmet? When I bought my 15 RT I was going to get this helmet but it didn't fit my pinhead. I had to (great helmet by the way!) get the Arai so I wasn't able to get it installed.

Anyone do this for the Arai?

The SRC is made by Cardo, so any Cardo should work. My G9 works great.

BUT, the connection is Bluetooth, so Sena and other units will work fine.

You have lots of choices!

I contacted Sena and they said their system would not work, or at least not very well at all, and I'd have to get BMW. Lots of conflicting information on this topic.

I use my sena with my 2014 RT every single ride without issue. Not sure what information you gave sena for them to say this.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back