• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wrecked, need advice re write off by insurer

I have several aftermarket magnetic engine oil plugs that have a 15 mm or 17mm male hex instead of the 8mm female Allen hex for tightening/removal. So it is conceivable that a brick might damage the plug in such a way as to allow it to fall out. This is apparently what happened here.

Yes, that could explain it. I forgot about the magnetic style drain plugs. Thanks, Paul.

Where did the oil go? I'd think there would be some kind of streak on the road and that some of it would still be on the rear tire and under the rear fender. I agree that the brick knocking out the drain plug hypothesis seems improbable - not that it matters very much at this point. Since the tire seems to hold air, are we sure that the red dash warning was for flat tire rather than for loss of oil pressure (as if drain plug fell out)?

See the photos you seek here:

http://triumphantsblog.blogspot.ca/

As to the warning light, the icon was not a tire symbol, it was an oilcan symbol. It was earlier in the week that a cotter pin caused a slow leak that resulted in the warning light plus tire icon.

Back