• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wrecked, need advice re write off by insurer

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
I hit a brick with the front wheel, it knocked out the drain plug we learned, big red warning, no crash, upright stop. 400 km tow to dealer in Moncton, NB from north of Port Hawkesbury NS. 2011 R1200RT, 34,000 km.

Dealer put in oil and started it in my presence. Well, turned it over with the starter. Very loud squealing noises. It has been suggested that the bike might be written off. Or, engine in a box required. Or, an engine rebuild, which I don't like to contemplate as there must be metal all over the insides of the engine.

Specific Question: if the insurance writes off the bike, who owns the Givi top box I bought? Will it's mounting plate fit a new 2016 RT? Same question for BMW quick-attach tank bag I bought with the bike, and will it fit the new RTs?

If I get answers today or early Monday, I will be in better shape to meet the adjusters.

If you are an adjuster, please give me advice if you have any as I have never done this before.

Thanks in advance.

It has been my experience that no accessories are really covered on a vehicle unless they are specifically listed as part of the vehicle. For example, if you had a CB or other 2-way radio, chances are it is not covered for damage or if stolen in a break-in.
If you have accessories that you added to the bike, IMO, they are yours (considered personal belongings) and the insurance company has no interest in paying you for them as they are yours and removable.
I don't know how your specific policy reads and YMMV.
OM

It has been my experience that no accessories are really covered on a vehicle unless they are specifically listed as part of the vehicle. For example, if you had a CB or other 2-way radio, chances are it is not covered for damage or if stolen in a break-in.
If you have accessories that you added to the bike, IMO, they are yours (considered personal belongings) and the insurance company has no interest in paying you for them as they are yours and removable.
I don't know how your specific policy reads and YMMV.
OM

Thanks, I thought they would be mine. They are not damaged and could be used. But, I understand the new RTs don't have the tank rails for the 2011 tank bag. Will likely sell it privately.

I just went through this with my pickup. I asked about a couple things and they said if it wasn't a part of the factory options sent from factory, or a permanently installed part, you wont be paid or wont be paid much. I removed the Weatherguard box in the bed and a couple small things from the interior. I removed the Optima battery as well.

In Manitoba, the whole vehicle is valued.

If you have anything aftermarket, like your case, our public insurance values the vehicle as a whole, including your top box. If you want it or anything back, they devalue it and pay you what is left. If for instance you want your battery back, they will take the value of the battery off the total and further take more off to put a new one in. Prorate is in effect and in Manitoba, you will never get near what the bike is worth at market value.

Further, if you registered the bike as pleasure and you had those kind of kilometers, they would be asking you how you did it and if you rode it to work more than twice in a month, no coverage.

If you have anything aftermarket, like your case, our public insurance values the vehicle as a whole, including your top box. If you want it or anything back, they devalue it and pay you what is left. If for instance you want your battery back, they will take the value of the battery off the total and further take more off to put a new one in. Prorate is in effect and in Manitoba, you will never get near what the bike is worth at market value.

Further, if you registered the bike as pleasure and you had those kind of kilometers, they would be asking you how you did it and if you rode it to work more than twice in a month, no coverage.

That's interesting. Thank you. It's only 34,000 km since Sep 2011. That's two trips to Vancouver Island and one to the East coast. And, I'm retired. I figure my milage is pretty low.

We'll see.

I just went through this with my pickup. I asked about a couple things and they said if it wasn't a part of the factory options sent from factory, or a permanently installed part, you wont be paid or wont be paid much. I removed the Weatherguard box in the bed and a couple small things from the interior. I removed the Optima battery as well.

Thanks.

New engine?

On E-bay there is a zero time 2013 engine for $3k in Portland, Oregon. I wouldn't think it would cost over $2500 to ship and install that motor. Might be some salvage value to the old engine depending on what is damaged.

On E-bay there is a zero time 2013 engine for $3k in Portland, Oregon. I wouldn't think it would cost over $2500 to ship and install that motor. Might be some salvage value to the old engine depending on what is damaged.

Thank you for the info. I am at the dealer waiting for the adjuster. It's in the hands of the insurance company at this time.

I have aftermarket accessories listed on my policy for both bikes and would expect them to be specifically included in the valuation in the event of a write off. That said, I would likely buy the bike back and sell anything salvageable on afterwards unless the bike looked like it had been through a wood chipper.

I hit a brick with the front wheel, it knocked out the drain plug we learned, big red warning, no crash, upright stop.

How did hitting a brick cause the engine oil drain plug to fall out? This is a new one to me. Did the brick bounce up and hit the engine case? Broken case?

I have aftermarket accessories listed on my policy for both bikes and would expect them to be specifically included in the valuation in the event of a write off. That said, I would likely buy the bike back and sell anything salvageable on afterwards unless the bike looked like it had been through a wood chipper.

I was asked for the list and cost of added items such as the peg lowering kit, bar risers, and even the brand new rear tire put on just days earlier after picking up a cotter pin...

The bike is in Moncton while my home is west of Toronto, so the bike will be disposed of by the insurance company - I will get a cheque.

How did hitting a brick cause the engine oil drain plug to fall out? This is a new one to me. Did the brick bounce up and hit the engine case? Broken case?

As best as I can recall, the brick was about a half brick or smaller. I almost missed it, but the right side of the front tire caught it. I sure felt it but did not really feel it hit the engine.

The dealer service guy told me the drain plug was missing. They put in another one and filled the engine with oil. When they tried to start it they heard awful noises. When I arrived a bit later, they did the same for me. Really terrible squealing noises is how I can describe it. Metal to metal contact from multiple bearings is what I think we heard.

The fact that they filled it with oil and there were no leaks seems to show it was the drain plug loss that was the cause of the problem. One of my mechanical engineering friends suggested the stud part of the drain plug was sheared off and the impact may have caused sufficient deformation of metal so as to allow the threaded part to be lost. Lost to the ground or lost to the interior of the engine is not known.

When I was told the plug was missing, I too was scratching my head. And, it was not loose before my trip. I must have traveled 3500 km before the accident and there was no leaking. The bike has an oil check mark displayed when you come to a stop. Check mark was there every time.

I don't know what more to say, Paul. If you have any ideas, don't be shy.

Curious too. No rim tire damage?

Oh yes, there was a major rim bend about 3 inches in length I would say.

20150814_151152.jpg

You can see the brick dust too.

After the collision with the brick, I was watching the tire pressure readout very carefully and was slowing as I expected loss of pressure in a major way. Did not happen. I actually thought I got away with it ... until the BIG red warning light came on. And, the icon was an oilcan, not a tire symbol. Dealer has moved the bike around since last Friday and has not added air as far as I know.

Same dealer put on a new rear tire last Tuesday as I had a slow leak due to ... a cotter pin. Did a 666.1 km round trip for the tire change. Tire had lost 20 psi over a 1.5 day rain caused layover.

Hey Ed
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have been told that if your not happy with the adjusters payout for a write off, you can negotiate for a more fair value.
I guess this brings back the debate for the need of a GS skidplate on a RT.
Ed

There's a touratech plate and engine guard assembly for new wet head rt's.

I was just curious on the damage to the oil "plug". I thought that all BMWs used an oil drain plug that was pretty much flat with the engine case when it was fully installed, and on which you use an Allen wrench to remove. And usually these plugs are in pretty firmly. Hitting such a unit with a brick would seem to be unable to cause it to break off, or fall out. I don't understand. Did BMW change to a drain plug with hex flats on it that actually sticks down below the case? And it seems equally odd that with such severe damage to the original plug, that the dealer could easily thread in a new one. One would imagine that the female threads on the block would be pretty severely damaged as well. It doesn't seem to make sense.

Where did the oil go? I'd think there would be some kind of streak on the road and that some of it would still be on the rear tire and under the rear fender. I agree that the brick knocking out the drain plug hypothesis seems improbable - not that it matters very much at this point. Since the tire seems to hold air, are we sure that the red dash warning was for flat tire rather than for loss of oil pressure (as if drain plug fell out)?

Where did the oil go? I'd think there would be some kind of streak on the road and that some of it would still be on the rear tire and under the rear fender. I agree that the brick knocking out the drain plug hypothesis seems improbable - not that it matters very much at this point. Since the tire seems to hold air, are we sure that the red dash warning was for flat tire rather than for loss of oil pressure (as if drain plug fell out)?

Don't give the insurance adjuster ammunition. This one is wierd enough without us messing things up. That streak on the road was a mile or two back in any event.

I was just curious on the damage to the oil "plug". I thought that all BMWs used an oil drain plug that was pretty much flat with the engine case when it was fully installed, and on which you use an Allen wrench to remove. And usually these plugs are in pretty firmly. Hitting such a unit with a brick would seem to be unable to cause it to break off, or fall out. I don't understand. Did BMW change to a drain plug with hex flats on it that actually sticks down below the case? And it seems equally odd that with such severe damage to the original plug, that the dealer could easily thread in a new one. One would imagine that the female threads on the block would be pretty severely damaged as well. It doesn't seem to make sense.

I have several aftermarket magnetic engine oil plugs that have a 15 mm or 17mm male hex instead of the 8mm female Allen hex for tightening/removal. So it is conceivable that a brick might damage the plug in such a way as to allow it to fall out. This is apparently what happened here.

Back