• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Worst gas ever

40 years

Bad situation but not as bad as a good friend of mine who has been riding for 40 years or so pumping diesel in his 2 year old Harley Dyna.:nonoOld farts our age are easily distracted!

He rode a Harley for 40 years. I think I see the problem.

We were riding this past weekend and bought premium ethanol free gas for $3.48. The location was Meadows of Dan, VA. If you are close to that place, fill up.

Never buy gas if the gas truck is there delivering gas or just leaving. It stirs up the sediments on the bottom of the tank and then you pump into yours clogging everything up.

This would be my vote on what happened--- in all gas tanks there's a "toe" of water on the bottom, but the hose to the pump will stop a few inches from the bottom to avoid sucking up the water.

But when a fuel truck re-fills the gas pump tank, it stirs up the contents while it's filling the storage tank and you'll get water throughout the gasoline, that will take a bit of time to settle out...

So yeah, stay away from gas stations that just had their stocks refilled.

I wonder if you had totally dumped the fuel at the Mobil station, that your cure would have been quicker? Sounds to me that the bad gas was bad enough to contaminate the next tankful too.

Yes

I wonder if you had totally dumped the fuel at the Mobil station, that your cure would have been quicker? Sounds to me that the bad gas was bad enough to contaminate the next tankful too.

Of course it would. Where would I have dumped it? I think the state of Florida frowns on dumping gas and oil. I had a full tank. I did what was allowed under the circumstances.

If I had been home, I would have drained the fuel into a container and diluted it with a full tank of good gas in the Toyota.

When you are in a strange place, with only a small tool pouch, you are limited in what you can do. Add 100 degree weather and 90% humidity to that with a desire to get off the road and back to the racing and you will do what ever will get you to your destination.

Plus, I did not know what the problem was until I got back home and talked to Paul who gave me the explanation. I am wiser now.

Gas Treatment

Any recommendations on a regularly used (every tank full) gas treatment to compensate for the Ethanol we are always subjected to these days? I had a 1200R rider tell me that a gas sensor on his relatively new bike went out due to Ethanol, and that his dealer told him BMW recommended regular use of gas treatment.

Ethanol is hydroscopic. If there is any moisture in the underground storage tank, it will combine with the ethanol in the gas and come out of solution. You get a gas mixture with lower than intended octane and an alcohol water mixture on the bottom of the tank. Water finds it's way in through the fills during rain or from station staff hosing down the concrete. If there is too much water a truck is supposed to pump the tank out to remove the water. This has to be disposed of and that costs money so there is pressure not to do this when required.
As mentioned above, all stations have had to have an electronic monitoring system since December 1999 along with double wall fiberglass storage tanks and double wall plumbing throughout the station to prevent leaks from getting into the soil and ground water.
The fuel truck driver is not supposed to even make a deliver if the Veeder Root shows more than a certain amount of water in the gas, but the pressure to make the delivery and to please the customer, who are often not shy about screaming in your face if you refuse to make the delivery, over rides procedure. Costco stores have outstanding housekeeping and no water in their tanks. Some independent stations are not so careful. And, yes, some will order too much 87 octane and, when it won't fit in the regular tank, tell the driver to dump the excess into the premium tank. I have refused to do this on occasion and have been royally chewed for refusing, even suspended for three weeks once. Nice, huh.
Ecology Auto Wrecking has a single tank where all the gas, oil and coolant from wrecked cars are collected. By law, this mixture is supposed to be disposed of as hazardous waste, but that costs money honey. What really happens is a gas truck with a pump shows up to pump the tank out. But, instead of manifesting this load as a hazardous waste, it is manifested as fresh gas and delivered to an unsuspecting gas station. My employer knew better than to even suggest I do one of those loads. I wasn't even supposed to know they existed, but drivers talk. OP might have had the bad luck to buy a load of this crap too.
Of course, drivers never get the wrong product in the wrong hole after the fifth 12 hour night shift. Oh no, never happens, heh, heh, heh. Diesel in the gas tank? Gas in the diesel tank? Ruined cars? Seen it all. An old boss of mine was called the "mix-master, any product in any hole". He could make ten station deliveries in a 12 hour shift. But who knew if he made mistakes working that fast. But, when you are paid by the load, you work fast.

Of course, drivers never get the wrong product in the wrong hole after the fifth 12 hour night shift. Oh no, never happens, heh, heh, heh. Diesel in the gas tank? Gas in the diesel tank? Ruined cars? Seen it all... But, when you are paid by the load, you work fast.

<brr. >

Guess I should count myself lucky that we get gas at all here in yenevelt.

Back