• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wixom bags and hardware

HI Gang
Found a set of wixom bags and from what I understand the brackets keep the seat from opening. Do you know of a kit or anyone who has studs the brackets fit on and attach with a removable clip. I have seen this set up in photos but don't know where to get them. Any info or leads appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

Do you have the brackets for the bags? My Wixom bags have a couple of studs that stick through into the inside of the bag and there's a big spring clip that goes through a hole in the stud. Theoretically, that would allow me to slide the bag off...however, I have chrome hardware surrounding the bag so that would have to be removed as well. It's not an easy off situation so I haven't done it.

Instead, I bought a lift-off seat kit. It allows me to easily lift the seat straight up and set to the side. Works great. Duane Ausherman has a page on this:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/seatmod/index.htm

Wixom bags keep seat from opening

Do you have the brackets for the bags? My Wixom bags have a couple of studs that stick through into the inside of the bag and there's a big spring clip that goes through a hole in the stud. Theoretically, that would allow me to slide the bag off...however, I have chrome hardware surrounding the bag so that would have to be removed as well. It's not an easy off situation so I haven't done it.

Instead, I bought a lift-off seat kit. It allows me to easily lift the seat straight up and set to the side. Works great. Duane Ausherman has a page on this:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/seatmod/index.htm

Hi
Looking for info on 2 different options.
1. Where can I get hardware or studs with holes in them with removable pins that the wixom brackets fit on. You pull these pins out, take off bag bracket to swing it out of the way so the seat can open.
2. Is there a pin or post that replaces the hinges on a /5 seat so the seat can lift off. The /6 pin lift off mod looks like you remove hinges and screw a bolt in the seat hinge treaded hole and that bolt lines up and fits in to a hole on the frame when seat is closed. When I looked at my /5 I don't see a hole on the frame that a bolt would fit on to. So any Ideas on a Lift off seat kit for a /5.
I am very excited to refinish and install these wixom bags on my curry 72 toaster and would like to hear back from members who have done this mod.
Thanks
Brian

Wixom bag brackets and opening seat

Hi
Im going with bracket removal hardware. Found hardware in the flea market that allows you to pull 2 pins out of the top bolts and lower/rotate bracket out of the way so the seat opens. Not the best idea but that is how wixom did it in the 70's man. So I'm getting there. Let you know how it turns out when I'm finished.
Thanks
Brian

Back