• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

winterizing my bike question

greybeard52

We were at -12 degrees and snow last week, so I put Stabil in my 1986 BMW R80RT. There may be some warm days ahead when I could ride, but about 20 years ago I came around the corner and hit ice on the road in the shade of a downtown building. I planted my foot and luckily hit dry pavement so I didn't go down. If I had gone down, I probably would have slid into oncoming traffic. So I usually winterize my bike after the first snow. But I digress. Question: Should I store my Beemer until probably next March or April, with or without fuel in my carb float bowls? My last BMW R65 was new when i had it, so I never thought about the floats. But this bike is 34 years old so...? Thanks and if you live in a warm climate, know that there are those of us up North who are envious of you being able to ride year round.😎

I'd drop the bowls and pour the fuel back into the tank. Carefully reinstall the bowls...be sure not to crimp the tiny gasket.

Also, click on either of the terms in the Tag Cloud at the bottom of the screen to see other threads about the same topic.

I’ve lived in Wyoming for 30 years and I used a trickle charger year round on my two Harleys, one Suzuki and now my BMW, who all live together in my unheated garage. I put Stabil in all of them for their hibernation through winter usually 5 months. I change the oil in the spring. I used to follow a strict maintenance regimen, but about 40 years ago I gave it up. The Harley, Hondas and Yamahas that I rode in the late 1960s, 70s and early 80s all gave me headaches no matter what I did. But bikes these days are so well made, I really haven't had to worry about them. Unless you abuse your modern bike, it’s going to get you there. In the 1960s, the old saying, Harley Davidson made of tin. Ride them out and push them in., was true. Especially the kick start only model that I had. I’m not advising anyone to neglect your bike. I was just reflecting on how lucky we are to have such dependable motorcycles these days. I do plan to change the fork oil on the Beemer, change the primary chain case oil and rebuild the master brake cylinder on one of my Harleys, this winter. And I’m changing the brake pads on my truck and my wife’s VW New Beetle and the brake shoes on my 1978 VW camper bus along with repacking the grease in my constant velocity joints and changing the gear oil. And installing a quick shifter on the bus. Oh, and replacing the shocks and steering damper on the truck. I bought a forced air propane furnace last winter so I’ll be spending lots of time in the garage this winter. No wonder I don't do the old regimen. I have too dang many vehicles! We are giving the New Beetle to my grand daughter, so that’s one less vehicle to maintain. Ha! Who am I kidding?
Thanks for the advice on the float bowls. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. 😎

I’ve lived in Wyoming for 30 years and I used a trickle charger year round on my two Harleys, one Suzuki and now my BMW, who all live together in my unheated garage. I put Stabil in all of them for their hibernation through winter usually 5 months. I change the oil in the spring. I used to follow a strict maintenance regimen, but about 40 years ago I gave it up. The Harley, Hondas and Yamahas that I rode in the late 1960s, 70s and early 80s all gave me headaches no matter what I did. But bikes these days are so well made, I really haven't had to worry about them. Unless you abuse your modern bike, it’s going to get you there. In the 1960s, the old saying, Harley Davidson made of tin. Ride them out and push them in., was true. Especially the kick start only model that I had. I’m not advising anyone to neglect your bike. I was just reflecting on how lucky we are to have such dependable motorcycles these days. I do plan to change the fork oil on the Beemer, change the primary chain case oil and rebuild the master brake cylinder on one of my Harleys, this winter. And I’m changing the brake pads on my truck and my wife’s VW New Beetle and the brake shoes on my 1978 VW camper bus along with repacking the grease in my constant velocity joints and changing the gear oil. And installing a quick shifter on the bus. Oh, and replacing the shocks and steering damper on the truck. I bought a forced air propane furnace last winter so I’ll be spending lots of time in the garage this winter. No wonder I don't do the old regimen. I have too dang many vehicles! We are giving the New Beetle to my grand daughter, so that’s one less vehicle to maintain. Ha! Who am I kidding?
Thanks for the advice on the float bowls. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. 😎
A suggestion regarding charging: consider using a floating charger versus a trickle charger for long term storage. The floating charger charges at a low amperage but only when the battery needs a charge. The trickle charger charges at a low amperage at a steady rate and can overcharge a battery. Also, leave your tank full of non-ethanol fuel and float bowls empty. When you change your fluids in the spring (engine, trans, driveshaft, final drive and fork oil), make sure to include the brake fluid. All that maintenance equates to therapy, something we can all use a bit of right now. Take care, stay well and ride easy.

A suggestion regarding charging: consider using a floating charger versus a trickle charger for long term storage. The floating charger charges at a low amperage but only when the battery needs a charge. The trickle charger charges at a low amperage at a steady rate and can overcharge a battery. Also, leave your tank full of non-ethanol fuel and float bowls empty. When you change your fluids in the spring (engine, trans, driveshaft, final drive and fork oil), make sure to include the brake fluid. All that maintenance equates to therapy, something we can all use a bit of right now. Take care, stay well and ride easy.

I have Deltran Battery Tender Jr., on my bikes, two of which have been going for 22 years. I think they are the floating charge type. Before I discovered these about 25 years ago, I was lucky to get 3 years out of a motorcycle battery. Currently charging in my garage, RV deep cell battery-10 years old, Harley battery, replaced last summer after 12 years, Harley battery- ten years old, Suzuki ATV battery-replaced last summer after 10 years, and BMW battery replaced last summer when i bought the bike-previous owner said the battery was about 10 years old before it died. He also used a Battery Tender. These Battery Tenders work.
You’re right about maintenance being therapeutic. I’m retired and I can spend hours in the garage. My wife’s VW New Beetle quit shifting into reverse. After reading that forum and watching some you tubes, I decided to replace the neutral safety switch, which is located under the large air filter box and battery tray. when I got down to the switch I found 3 chewed wires on the wiring harness and a dead mouse. I think I found the problem. New plug with pigtail wires ordered on Amazon because the VW dealer couldn’t get it for me. It should be here this week and I get to splice the wires and shrink wrap them. The Bug should be on the road later this week. Very gratifying when things go well.😎👍

Sounds like you have things figured out. Agreed, when things go well. I hear what you're saying about retirement. Best job I ever had! Winter well in Sheridan.

Back