• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which oil? Why Bel-Ray?

Almost every need for a top end overhaul on an engine is oil related.

But in the life of a quality vehicle with 205,000 miles on it and it still runs like new, does it matter?

And I remember having the valve cover off at 118,617 miles (I keep an accurate log) and the approach end of the cam lobes looked like new and I mean off-the-shelf new.

But in the life of a quality vehicle with 205,000 miles on it and it still runs like new, does it matter?

And I remember having the valve cover off at 118,617 miles (I keep an accurate log) and the approach end of the cam lobes looked like new and I mean off-the-shelf new.

Which simply shows that you are using a quality oil of the proper rating and correct viscosity. And that you are changing it at least as frequently as specified.

But if somebody else with the same engine got 100,000 miles before needing rings (or something) then in that case I would call that an oil related failure.

Trading anecdotes, my '86 K75T which died in an accident after 369,000 miles never had the engine, transmission or final drive opened up. Lubrication does matter!

Trading anecdotes, my '86 K75T which died in an accident after 369,000 miles never had the engine, transmission or final drive opened up. Lubrication does matter!

I've never owned a K bike, but did yours or any K bike use oil even when relatively new and then thereafter?

I know my R1150 GSA did; my 2003 more than my 2004, but my 2016 R1200 GSA uses absolutely none.

That was an interesting article. Good to see common oil I use is ok. One that was missing was Motorex but seeing as KTM specs it I'm sure it's a good synthetic. Thanks for putting up the info to get to it.

Advantec 15w-50 is for all air cooled engines from Oilheads on. It is a semi synthetic.

For Airheads and earlier there is a dino Advantec 20W-50, an oil seldom seen at dealers.

The 5w-40 Advantec is full synthetic and is for water cooled engines and bikes with wet clutches.

Discussions of difference between 15W and 20W are moot. W means winter and is only applicable to cold engine start. It is meaningless to hot running. Your Oilhead manual was printed prior to the advent of Advantec oils.

Advantec is the name BMW has applied to made in Germany with natural gas rather than crude base oils from Shell. Ducati uses different names for the same things as will the names be different on Shell bottles. I don't believe you can buy this oil with Shell branding in USA. This oil is apples/oranges not the same thing as Walmart Shell Rotella. Rather, see Pennzoil, a Shell owned brand for the German stuff. Probably not motorcycle specific Pennzoil.

Back