• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which 2011 RT engine "crash bars"?

srmRT

I plan to install a set of engine "crash bars" on my 2011 RT, primarily so I can mount a set of amber auxiliary lights to go with the Denali DRL's I have mounted on the lower forks. I don't particularly like the idea of such bars mounting to the engine cases, but don't know of any that don't use the cases for a mounting point.

The only new such bars I can find still available for this model bike, other than some Ebay off-shore units, are SW-Motech or Wunderlich. There is little price difference between them, and I expect the quality of each would be comparable.

Although I know this is going back some years, however, I would appreciate any input from present or past users regarding their experience with either brand of bars, or suggestions of other viable alternatives to them.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Please disregard this thread.

I see that Twisted Throttle still offers the under-mirror light mounts to fit my 2011 RT, although they are on back-order, so I will go with those and a set of small amber colored lights instead of the engine crash bar/lights setup.

Sorry for wasting bandwidth. :)

No worries :)
I actually like the “low” mounted lights. Mounting high, I have always have been concerned about them overshadowing the turn signals.
OM

No worries :)
I actually like the “low” mounted lights. Mounting high, I have always have been concerned about them overshadowing the turn signals.
OM

I agree, and that is why I have not gone with the under-mirror mounts before now. The triangle presented by the headlights, fork-mounted DRL's, and a set of lights on crash bars would contribute much more to conspicuity, which is the purpose of the whole project. :)

Back