• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whats youre thought on January 31st 2010?

redclfco

Ramblings while huddled around the morning fire

Or

The metamorphous of change

Fire is the great equalizer

Fire in the hands of a tottler can have the same power, the same level of intensity as fire in the hand of an adult.

Fire is the ultimate in fairness- fire treats everyone across the board, rich poor white black healthy sick no one is excluded from its intensity

Fire warms them all equally
But fire also burns them dead with the same gusto and enthusiasm
As it would heat an empty room
Or burn an empty room.

Fire is insidious, as I look at the flame in the fireplace
And watch the blaze as it slowly heats, then ignites my offerings.

We have a totally awesome fire place with glass doors and a passive heat gain "thing" that regains much of the flume heat. The damn thing is so big, (no joke) I could scrunch up and climb inside the thing, and it’s possible to build a fire that you can stack half split logs cris cross on the metal rack up 3 ft. high with ease! After starting a big blaze, the thing pretty well covers the heat need in this house not by flame, but by the masonry flume, now radiating heat into the house for hours after the flame is gone, and coals are burning like an exploded star.

Our woods behind the house is made up of tangled and somewhat impenetrable forest of trees; have falling soldiers everywhere of oak, ash and basswood, it makes finding enough wood to fill this cavern of a fireplace an easy and enjoyable thing to do every fall. Have you ever fell a 60 ft. dead snag and heard it as it first begin to crack as you start sawing deeper with the chain saw on the opposite back side of the wedge cut? If not, you have not seen uncontrolled power of gravity until you have seen this "gravity in motion" happen!

The ever so slight movement of the tree below the cut, and a loud pop and crack tell you to shut off the chain saw, the show is about to begin…find your footing back three paces, shut off the saw and watch as the lean of the tree increases, the cracks and pops of the tree beginning to get louder and more frequent. The roar of sound begins all at once as the tree violently heads down in a rush. Birds in tree tops 50 yards away take off in formation when the sound and rush of wind hit their tree top observations. The 60 inch round base of the tree rotating in a dangerous circle as the tree heads down…

I was lazy this morning, and took a six foot long rectangular shaped cardboard box from my recent purchase of a roof snow rake (which I totally destroyed after ten minutes raking off our copious amount of roof snow, another story) and completely soaked the box in charcoal lighter fluid, then bent it into big ninety degree angles, and smished it down flat with a big half log of oak on top of it to hold it flat on the firegrate. On top of that went another 8 or ten bigger pieces of oak and ash, and in the crevasses, I stuffed pre soaked sliver pieces of kerosene soaked fat wood, already slimy with pine tar, now dripping with kerosene, and ready to burst into flames.

Well, during the time I took to write this, the flame has surrounded the pile of half logs and now vaporized sticks of fatwood, the flames have gone to bright yellow and blue into the deep orange of the burning oak. Smoke coming out of the top of the big pile of sticks tells me the fire is well under way, and won’t go out.

I closed the door and shut the damper half way, doing my best now to slow the burn to a level the will maximize the heat gain. If you don't shut it down a bit the unrestricted full burn rushes by the masonry, and the cement and the river rock that adorns the fireplace walls never get a chance to grab the energy of the heat. I can tell how we are doing by laying my hand on the river rock and feeling the surface heat, the rock so round and oblique.

Now that tree lays in front of me, that energy is now converted into gasses igniting once again that tree and the energy held within. I dropped this tree in October, now January and I am hearing those pops and cracks again as the tree once again obtains metamorphous of change.
January 31, what a ridiculously long month, here in the land of ice and snow. The true motivation in life for 30 days or so is to hang on tight to what makes us human, the laugh the enjoyment the love of life, while the rest of the rudimentary necessities of life huddles next to the fire…

Last edited:
Interesting reflections.

My thoughts today have been much more mundane:

Dang, is it almost February already? That means I have to renew all my license tabs in the next few weeks. How much is that gonna cost? Is my DL due this year? :dunno (checks wallet) No.

Do I have all my tax statements? Ugh. Well, gotta do the taxes to see if I can afford to buy BMW parts :scratch

Should I change the cat litter today, or let it go until tomorrow?

And so on ... :blah

It was a beautiful dawn here in Santa Cruz. It's going to be sunny and in the high 60s. I'm going for a ride. It's supposed to rain a bit this week, so I better get some miles in before the weather turns bad.

On some days I have an interesting thought. Today is not one of those days.

Nothing too profound, on my part.

My secretary, who has worked with me for 33 years, is back from her 6 week winter break, so I can relax, take some mid week sneaks, and go skiing. I've got some new gear to try out, which will be fun.

Once February is over, as far as I am concerned, winter's over, because any cold blasts in March will be short ones.

My brother in law's Harley, which is in my garage, will be going to Holland any day now, and then I'm on to my next project: helping my friend import a Duc from the mid-west. I've thought about riding it back for him [he's still a bit smashed up from last summer's bike shunt (lost 2 BMW's in one go)], but I think we might just trailer it.

NO, not yet. Minor snaggage, but I'll get it.
This week my wife had hip replacement surgery. So still tangled up in that. Making enough between the two of us that this won't hurt "daily operations", but making cash flow for farkles n helmets slow to a trickle. But will get it before riding season.
I should open the door to the shed this afternoon and get a pic, will be the first time I've looked in there since Thanksgiving week!
I should be going back to work Wednesday, assuming she will be OK on her own. I am getting some good time on the computer while she naps. But weird to be responsible for everything getting washed and cleaned. The new LG washer and dryer we got last year are as high tech as the GT!
Thanks again for the lead on the helmet shop down in FLA, I will get it from there when I get it, might be another month or two.
Gilly

Hope your wife makes a 100% recovery. My wife will most likely need back
surgery in the next couple years, my sister is going through cancer treatments
right now. There are more important things than motorcycles. I hate to say it,
but I have no idea how to work the maytag washer, there are just too many
knobs on it. I did a clutch spline lube on my K75 last month, but I can't figure
out the washing machine.

Hope your wife makes a 100% recovery. My wife will most likely need back
surgery in the next couple years, my sister is going through cancer treatments
right now. There are more important things than motorcycles. I hate to say it,
but I have no idea how to work the maytag washer, there are just too many
knobs on it. I did a clutch spline lube on my K75 last month, but I can't figure
out the washing machine.

Thanks. So far, so good.
I had my washer/drier "training" in the few weeks leading up to the operation. Makes me thing there should be safety classes available to guys like me for cases like this. We could call it "MSF", Maytag Safety Foundation. There could be ERC classes "Experienced Rinse-Cycle" classes" (Oops ERC is a throwback term now, isn't it...). I could be an intructor! "OK men, this morning we are going to discuss seperating the darks from the whites and the towels".

She is getting by on crutches. We have a tri-level house and went directly to the upper level when we got home. I am hoping to get her up and down the stairs this afternoon a bit. Tomorrow she has to get her blood checked for the blood-thinner med she is on, so we will have a small outing then.

I was thinking on starting my own thread on this, but really it's not that big a deal.

Gilly

Fire is like a tamed wolf, its still wild in it's heart. It longs to run free and will do so given the opprtunity.

My wife and I are getting ready to go up to NH to see her father receive the "Legion of Honor" medal from the President of France. The state of NH is making Feb.4 to be Walter Borowski Day! He is one of the last remaining members of the most decorated units of WWII,Fox Co. 2nd Rangers! There is a great article about him in the Derry Times. We almost lost him in Nov. when his kidneys failed,but he is the toughest man I've ever met. He just turned 90 on Jan.5. Whenever I hear the word "hero",I always think of him!:usa

My thoughts on the last day of January, 2010 --

Crap, it's snowing again and it's more that what can easily be swept away.

I finally got the gas tank on my motorcycle removed (thanks be to Vise-grips) but the battery is shot. It's the original battery in a 2003 bike, it is time to replace it anyways.

Dale has lots of time on his hands.

Eagerly awaiting the start of the NASCAR season next weekend.

Indeed.

jamesbay19.jpg

Jan 31

I brewed 5 cases of belgian ale,last week it was oatmeal stout all while enjoying a
English bitter ale. Tomorrow I am fireing up the snowmobiles.
But for now the dog has to go outside oh well.:drink:type:wave:thumb

Back