• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What to know/look for

wkuwiz

hey - I'd love to hear from R1200R owners about their experiences with the bike (preferably 2007 up!). My GF had a tough get-off on her F650 last weekend in the Ozark Nat'l Forest so we're going to stay out of gravel and mud for a while and play slab.

My Dakar will have to rest! But the RT will get more miles.

She is looking at a 2007 R1200R at our local BMW shop with low miles. We trust them. Thoughts on the ride? Handling?

'07 R1200R a keeper

I've had an '07 R (bought used) since 2010, and it's a keeper: not the absolute best at anything, but very good or excellent at everything. Reasonable weather protection (my bike has a Parabellum Scout fairing), reasonable weight, fast enough, great brakes, etc. etc.

There's a fair amount of customization available. Many find the seats...um...difficult to like. BMW came out with "comfort seats" about the time I bought my bike; they're reputed to be better than the standard ones. I had my bike's stock seat rebuilt at Rich's in Kingston WA. Beyond that, some change handlebars to achieve a narrower width), or move the footpegs down (or select a high seat) for more legroom.

The motors are durable - mine uses only a few ounces of oil between changes. A few bikes, like other Hexheads, have experienced rear drive or driveshaft failures. The headlight is low enough to be subject to damage from stones, and expensive enough that many riders get a headlight cover.

If you really want to get immersed in R-land, two active forums are here and here.

Dealer of course should be on top of fuel pump flange, fuel strip, and rear rotor mount spider replacements.

Dealer of course should be on top of fuel pump flange, fuel strip, and rear rotor mount spider replacements.

Ok - thanks. But Dealer just sold the one we wanted (*&^^%^!). Looking at another same age. We'll have to take the chance... Private Owner.

Dbrick is my riding buddy and he will attest to the fact that I was changing bikes every few years trying to find one that not only met my needs but was also reliable. I went through 5 other BMW's, then I rode David's R and loved it. I've had mine a couple if years, 2007, and I can't think of any bike that could take its place and do all it does.

It has one shortcoming, wind management. However, there are solutions out there. I also have a Scout fairing.

The bike is light, has a shaft, has 110hp, handles great, mine uses not a drop of oil and has been bullet proof. It can canyon carve and tour cross country.

Check the recalls are done. Only bug a boo, the early ones could develop a front brake shudder. If you ride a 2007 or 2008 and it has no shudder, at this time I would surmise it is ok.

As David said (Hi David!) - they're a keeper. Good enough that when a local club member fell out of love with his 2012 (with 4,600 miles on it), I *HAD* to buy it (even my wife said "Do it.."). My 2007 has been mine since new - and just completed a Coast-2-Coast-UP the Coast-2-Coast trip (about 7,600 miles,) including an overnight at David's, and the bike currently has 95,700+ miles on it. I had no intention of replacing it, but.. I wanted one that will carry me into my golden years of motorcycle riding, so..

If you're on the east coast - the 2007 will be listed shortly on the flea-market. It's a bike that has always put a smile on my face - even riding it in some miserable conditions (Oklahoma and Texas were interesting last month, just a bit damp..)

Back