• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What I built for my bike

Here are some pics of the baseplate I made up for the Givi box. I just didn't like the added on look of the Givi base over the stock BMW tailrack. So I removed the stock rack and bolted my baseplate in its place. The plate is .375" T6061 aluminum, cut to my shape with a water-jet cutter, including the slots. The holes I drilled to reduce the weight. The "pins" are .50" hex head bolts with the position turned so the hex flats just fit the slots in the Givi trunk bottom. The rear catch I hand cut/drilled with a hacksaw to match the Givi catch molded on the Givi base.

Those silver vertical braces are actually 1/2" Sched 40 Alum pipe sections that fit exactly over the stock rack mounts. Inside them are long 6mm threaded rods that bolt the plate down onto the vertical braces. Simple and clean, easy. The only change I'll make yet is use long 6mm flathead screws, countersinked into the base plate so the surface is smooth other than the pins and latch block, and I may paint it black.

Attachments

• givibase.jpg
    givibase.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 373
I don't know if this qualifies as something I 'built' but I made this l.e.d. modification on the cheap! Two bucks worth of led tape from Ebay, and a couple of electrical quick disconnects. The LED tape is behind the red plastic lense, with a silver foil background. Clear lights to make it justa little more jeweled look.

Attachments

• Photo2068[1].JPG
    Photo2068[1].JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 313
Some fine looking home-made farkles in this thread. Anything is possible with a mill and lathe. You guys should make some extras and sell them.

One day, I hope to make my own motorcycle from scratch (excluding rubber bits). I've got the tools (mills, lathes, aluminum foundry), I just need to get busy.

"3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) was used under the reflectors of my GiVi luggage to improve conspicuity. The left panel has the 3M applied; the center and right panels are stock..."

How did you get behind the reflectors? I'd like to do the same for the GIVI topcase on my VStrom.

"3M High Intensity Grade Prismatic Reflective Sheeting (White 3930) was used under the reflectors of my GiVi luggage to improve conspicuity. The left panel has the 3M applied; the center and right panels are stock..."

How did you get behind the reflectors? I'd like to do the same for the GIVI topcase on my VStrom.

If I recall, there are small screws holding them on that you get to from the inside of the case. Of course, it'll vary from make to make.

After getting a GPR steering damper for my F800GS, I realised not only could I not reuse my Wunderlich bar risers, the bars would also be moved further forward than originally. Aftermarket risers would not suit or work, so I modified the GPR mount and made my own risers and one piece top clamp.

IMGP0806-2.jpg

IMGP0808-2.jpg

IMGP0811-2.jpg

RT oil cooler rock guard

Made from a 1' sq sheet of stainless steel screen from McMaster-Carr ~$18.00. Band sawed to rough shape, then dremell cut off wheel to fit.

Attachments

• Copy of shock front side_1.JPG
    Copy of shock front side_1.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 120
Back