• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Using a Park-N-Move Motorcycle Dolly With A R1200RT

jacobite

I bought one of these and could not get my bike up on the dolly. I read a review of the dolly from another R1200RT user on another forum and he said the casters had to be unlocked when putting the bike up on it. I don't recall precisely but I might have locked them when I used it. If so, that would account for me not being able to correctly use it. I did not use a 1x4 under the rear tire as I have read either. If anyone has experience with this dolly, I would like to hear their experience with it. I like this dolly because it has an 1100 lb load capacity.

The Park 'n' Move website has a pretty good video of the technique for putting a bike on the dolly, although if I remember the video is of a sport bike without bags (the wheels on the dolly do need to be unlocked). If you still have difficulty, it helps a lot of you detach the panniers from the RT and lose that weight.

I have a Park n Move dolly that I use with my 07 R1200RT and one that I use with my F800GS. It does take quite a bit of heft to get up, but using some techniques make it easier. I would put a piece of wood underneath the rear wheel, even a 1/4" will help. I will use my left hand on the hand grip and my right on the passenger grab rail to hold the bike up. Think about using the weight of your body to lever the bike up, verses trying to pull the bike up with your hands.

Yes, the casters need to be unlocked when putting the bike up, as that helps the dolly roll under the center stand as the center stand is deployed. I lock the casters to take the bike off the dolly.

I use the dolly with my '15 RT. It takes some careful placement so you get the best leverage but it's not that hard, and I'm hardly Mr. Muscles. Some have said leave the casters unlocked, but I usually lock them and then heft onto the centre stand much as I do normally. I don't take any of the luggage off, although it would probably be tough if they were loaded.

caz

Yes, putting some piece of wood underneath the rear tire or even two pieces (one under rear and one under the front tire) really make the job easier. I've used a short piece of 2x6, does the trick.

Also make sure that you have the Park-N-Move and the center stand aligned so that the center stand tang that you put on isn't blocked by the Park-N-Move as the bike goes up on the stand.

Yup, there are very handy to my GSA close to a wall. I fabbed this small rear wheel chock out of two 2x4"s. It makes getting the bike up on the center stand much easier.

Attachments

• GS_Ramp.jpeg
    GS_Ramp.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 151
I had three Park and Moves at one point; had five bikes in a small garage. When we moved and got a large shop I sold two of the P&Ms. No doubt that it is harder to get a bike on its center stand on a P&M, but to he wood ramp helps a great deal. The hardest bike to get up on a P&M was Annie’s lowered F650GS (Single). About half the time I just gave up; I wasn’t smart enough to use the ramp back then.

Back